2u math good enough for CS?? (1 Viewer)

Mathew587

HSC
Hi,
Do you guys reckon 2u math will be alright for CS and other engo degrees. I did 3u but I'm dropping at start of term 1 cos I did pretty bad in the last exam. I'm like a 60%ish student. What topics do y'all think I should brush up on and know for CS from 3u.
Thanks churros :)

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
shiz i just remembered i need to get on this

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Personally I think 2U Maths is inadequate for CS (Computer Science?) and Engo (Engineering?). If you are serious about wanting to do one of those courses, you should do everything possible to hang on to your 3U. You may need external help. If you can afford it, get help ASAP or get help from a more capable classmate/friend. If you cannot manage 3U, then I don't think you are the material for those courses.

I am sure there are quite a few out there who will point to cases of people doing precisely those type of courses, and managed to complete their courses. The universities may not insist on 3U to enroll in those courses. (Actually I know of a student I helped, who did only 2U, went to TAFE, somehow transferred to UTS and have a degree in Computer Science or something similar) Well they simply want more students because they simply need the money. Some would tell you not to worry because there are bridging courses.

Anyway those are my 2 cents worth.

Last edited:

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
Hello,

I'm a nearly graduated Computer Science student and I studied 2 unit maths at high school. I believe 2 units maths is the bare minimum you can do and still do just fine in Computer Science. However, students that have done 3 unit and 4 unit maths at high school will definitely have an advantage over you in the early stages as they will most likely already know the content while you will have to study it. It is definitely do-able and not too hard if you put in a bit of effort.

If memory serves, you need to learn the calculus part of 3 unit maths (and maybe a bit of 4 unit but the course notes are really good so it isn't too hard to learn during the semester) like differentiation and integration and things like perms and combs/ probability/ induction. Do note though, all of these are taught well in the courses and they assume you just know really basic (2 unit level i guess) maths, it's just that if you have done more than 2 unit maths you will find you already know most of the stuff and that's it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)