• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

2u math trials

iloveeggs

HSC
so i have trials week 5 and i have NO idea how to approach them. we are going to have ALL of the topics we covered in y11 and y12 and ive never been in this situation before in terms of revising that amount of content.

im lowkey terrified. what should my game plan look like?

liamkk112

HSC
so i have trials week 5 and i have NO idea how to approach them. we are going to have ALL of the topics we covered in y11 and y12 and ive never been in this situation before in terms of revising that amount of content.

past paper spam is definetly first priority and should be pretty much all of ur time especially for maths, but keep note of what questions u got wrong / what topics u need to revise so u can go back and do the textbook work/reread notes to refresh your memory on everything. luckily for advanced math the topics are rather similar for year 11 and 12, but otherwise go back and do year 11 internal assessment work if you feel like the past papers you're doing aren't thoroughly testing the year 11 content

besides that consider printing out the syllabus, see if there's any dot points that you've overlooked and make sure to address them because im telling u rn that one dot point that u bank on not being in the test is gonna be in the test lol. but for sure past paper spam and textbook work to revise stuff u forgot is essentially all u need to do for maths

Average Boreduser

Rising Renewal
HSC

rnt u doing e1 e2 next yr anyway so you rlly should not be stressing at all? On that note though, what I've been doing rn is combing through past papers- (do the nsb, normo, syd gram, syd boys and jr ones first lol they humble you so hard its crazy lmao). And before anything, realise that the questions on the paper you're gonna take is completely out of your control, if you stress about it, you will lose precious time. Maintain consistency, be confident, spam as much as you can and you'll leave that test room with 0 regrets. My 99.95 cents.

Cathode_RT

I'm so done with trimesters bruh
HSC

past paper spam - once you get used to it you begin seeing the same types of questions crop up.

generally, with math adv trials, you should hopefully aim to finish by the 2:15 - 2:30 hr mark, leaving plenty of time to check your answers. Keep practicing until you reach that point, and you should mostly be on track for a 85-90+ raw

mvrcuriee

#1 SK
HSC

im doing a few past papers today til tues to see what topics I consistently dont know or fuck up on
Revise that using fitz and other textbook
Smartermath booklet
Atomi
And repeattt

iloveeggs

HSC
rnt u doing e1 e2 next yr anyway so you rlly should not be stressing at all? On that note though, what I've been doing rn is combing through past papers- (do the nsb, normo, syd gram, syd boys and jr ones first lol they humble you so hard its crazy lmao). And before anything, realise that the questions on the paper you're gonna take is completely out of your control, if you stress about it, you will lose precious time. Maintain consistency, be confident, spam as much as you can and you'll leave that test room with 0 regrets. My 99.95 cents.
yeah i would be freaking out if i didnt think id make 4u but atm i just want a high band 6. like as close to 100 as possible.

thanks for your advice tho and yeah the jr past papers do humble you 💀

iloveeggs

HSC
past paper spam - once you get used to it you begin seeing the same types of questions crop up.

generally, with math adv trials, you should hopefully aim to finish by the 2:15 - 2:30 hr mark, leaving plenty of time to check your answers. Keep practicing until you reach that point, and you should mostly be on track for a 85-90+ raw
i usually do finish early, but the 2:15 mark gives me a better idea on what to aim for. thanks for your advice!

iloveeggs

HSC
past paper spam is definetly first priority and should be pretty much all of ur time especially for maths, but keep note of what questions u got wrong / what topics u need to revise so u can go back and do the textbook work/reread notes to refresh your memory on everything. luckily for advanced math the topics are rather similar for year 11 and 12, but otherwise go back and do year 11 internal assessment work if you feel like the past papers you're doing aren't thoroughly testing the year 11 content

besides that consider printing out the syllabus, see if there's any dot points that you've overlooked and make sure to address them because im telling u rn that one dot point that u bank on not being in the test is gonna be in the test lol. but for sure past paper spam and textbook work to revise stuff u forgot is essentially all u need to do for maths
lol ye i find myself relying on certain vague dot points to not show up and get screwed over lol. thanks for your advice!

iloveeggs

HSC
im doing a few past papers today til tues to see what topics I consistently dont know or fuck up on
Revise that using fitz and other textbook
Smartermath booklet
Atomi
And repeattt
does atomi help? its fine for sciences but i haven't tried it for math. also thanks for your reply

mvrcuriee

#1 SK
HSC
does atomi help? its fine for sciences but i haven't tried it for math. also thanks for your reply
I actually do like the questions it gives, it’s nice to consolidate and they have exam style stuff! + their explanations r really nice

iloveeggs

HSC
UPDATE: trials are start of week 4 and i haven't started studying seriously (practice questions are the only thing ive done, no times papers yet). am i cooked? 👍

also ik i said they are week 5 but apparently not 💀

Average Boreduser

Rising Renewal
HSC
thanks. if you cant tell my self confidence is down in the dumps not bc my marks are but but i bc want to end internal 2u with 100. ive been revising but i def need to step it up
why tho. it's not going towards ur atar anyways lmao. Like this floury 'you've got 100 in your adv test thingo' award wont rlly have any actual impact towards your aspirations of becoming a doctor (judging from ur profile). + ur making expectations which makes the process 100 times harder on u lmao. Adv is hard to get 100 on. Like in all honesty, the way the marking works, esp in internals is so wack icl. Not getting 100 therefore means nothing. nada. not sigma skibidi.

Last edited:

Average Boreduser

Rising Renewal
HSC
why tho. it's not going towards ur atar anyways lmao. Like this floury 'you've got 100 in your adv test thingo' award wont rlly have any actual impact towards your aspirations of becoming a doctor (judging from ur profile). + ur making expectations which makes the process 100 times harder on u lmao. Adv is hard to get 100 on. Like in all honesty, the way the marking works, esp in internals is so wack icl. Not getting 100 therefore means nothing. nada. not sigma skibidi.
Also not saying u should stop studying lmfao. I'm saying ur setting high expectations which will hinder your performance.

iloveeggs

HSC
why tho. it's not going towards ur atar anyways lmao. Like this floury 'you've got 100 in your adv test thingo' award wont rlly have any actual impact towards your aspirations of becoming a doctor (judging from ur profile). + ur making expectations which makes the process 100 times harder on u lmao. Adv is hard to get 100 on. Like in all honesty, the way the marking works, esp in internals is so wack icl. Not getting 100 therefore mean nothing. naada. not sigma skibidi.
lol just to clarify i dont want to show off by getting a 100. maybe i worded it badly and thats why it came across that way. im trying to say im aiming for 100, but in reality if i get a 95 or less im gonna be just as happy.

i think i worded it like that bc so far in 2u i got cocky and though "2u wont count bc ill make 4u anyways" and didnt give the test enough effort, and got lower marks than i potentially could have gotten. which again, isn't a bad thing but i think one of the reasons i accelerated 2u is so i could have like a trial run of hsc with lower stakes. so i just want to put myself in a good position for 3u and 4u math next year (in terms of like study habits and exam strategy) by giving 2u trials a good effort. in week 4 prelims are still far away and i have the opportunity to grind for trials with minimal consequences on prelims so i thought i should try harder and aim high.

also my school has entry criteria for 4u and its smth like top 48 in prelim 3u. ik ill probably easily clear that considering my ranks and marks these past 2 terms but i want to be prepared for the worst case scenario considering my school's horrific methods of dealing with issues in exams etc and personal experiences ive had with other subjects this year

Cathode_RT

I'm so done with trimesters bruh
HSC
Just note that scaling plays a massive role in your final HSC mark. I guarantee you that your trial marks will not line up at all with your future HSC marks. From what I recall, most people who got above 83-84 in the 2U trials at my school ended up getting a band 6 overall, and my school was a sub 100 at the time. So don't fret too much (but don't get complacent either)

iloveeggs

HSC
Just note that scaling plays a massive role in your final HSC mark. I guarantee you that your trial marks will not line up at all with your future HSC marks. From what I recall, most people who got above 83-84 in the 2U trials at my school ended up getting a band 6 overall, and my school was a sub 100 at the time. So don't fret too much (but don't get complacent either)
fair enough

Examify

HSC
Hey there,

We've just published an article giving our recommendations for practice papers to study, and strategies to use for Maths Advanced.
Feel free to check it out: examify.com.au/blog/maths-advanced-4-week-guide

Goodluck, and let us know if you have any feedback :)

iloveeggs

HSC
Hey there,

We've just published an article giving our recommendations for practice papers to study, and strategies to use for Maths Advanced.
Feel free to check it out: examify.com.au/blog/maths-advanced-4-week-guide

Goodluck, and let us know if you have any feedback :)
alr thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)