2U Mathematics .. arghh! (1 Viewer)

rachyyyyy07

HSC
Hey everyone !

Okay i need some opinions on this.

Basically completed the yr 11 prelim mathematics course - didnt find the stuff we did in class hard - but once is came to asessments i failed it big time!

Just did our exam and i know i did a terrible job of it. What contributed to this though, was no where near enough study.

So the question is, should i drop to General next year or keep up (and put in 100% more effort) with the Mathematics course?

People have said to be its easy to get 95% in mathematics by just knowing the concepts, doing all the past papers becoz generally they ask you the same stuff.

Also 2unit maths i kinda need to Uni - so thats whats keeping me there!

Help please !
Thanks !

LordPc

HSC
keep it. honestly, 2u isnt that hard if you just listen in class (!!!) and understand the concepts, which are not that hard at all. 20 mins of h/w each night of just revising the days work is enough. then if you study right before the exam u should do well

its really not that hard, and if you put in a bit more effort you should do quite well.

beentherdunthat

HSC
KEEP it. 2unit maths is more interesting than General and it scales better. :)

simonloo

may our bodies remain
HSC
N/A
Rachel, as a student who has just finished the 2unit HSC course, and has fully regretted doing so, I wholeheartedly recommend you that if you are NOT enjoying this year's preliminary 2 unit, then seriously consider dropping the subject, as I believe that it's quite a big step up from yr 11.

beentherdunthat

HSC
lol. As a student who has finished the 2unit HSC course, and sat the 2unit HSC, I suggest you keep it. It's sooooooooooo easyyyyyyyy! :D

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
beentherdunthat said:
lol. As a student who has finished the 2unit HSC course, and sat the 2unit HSC, I suggest you keep it. It's sooooooooooo easyyyyyyyy! :D
You've sat the HSC already? :confused:

KING CAL

Banned
HSC
obviously she accelerated it last year you clown

god jachie, sometimes...

Jachie

HSC
well I just presumed she was trying to one-up simon without actually thinking about what she was saying. it's a fair enough assumption, all things considered.

flyaway15

HSC
Well I find 2u maths pretty easy, coz i just did a yearly test for 2u maths today but it really depends if you find it too hard or whether you will try hard in it as well. I don't know whether having 2u or 2u general really makes a difference but I know that having 3u maths makes a difference in some uni courses. That's pretty much the only reason i'm doing 3u maths otherwise i would have just dropped down to 2u and just done that its easier for me at least.

ness.xox

Member Member
HSC
rachyyyyy07 said:
Hey everyone !

Basically completed the yr 11 prelim mathematics course - didnt find the stuff we did in class hard - but once is came to asessments i failed it big time!

Just did our exam and i know i did a terrible job of it. What contributed to this though, was no where near enough study.

So the question is, should i drop to General next year or keep up (and put in 100% more effort) with the Mathematics course?

People have said to be its easy to get 95% in mathematics by just knowing the concepts, doing all the past papers becoz generally they ask you the same stuff.

Help please !
Thanks !
Your not alone im on the same boat as you too. But the only problem at my school is that my teacher warned the class that he will kick out students (about 3 or 4) after the yearlies simply because the class is getting too full. I know I can do the work, it's just im a lazy shit when it comes to maths and it has reflected in my half yearlies.
What happens if you are forced to move down? Do you have a choice?

HSC
ness.xox said:
Your not alone im on the same boat as you too. But the only problem at my school is that my teacher warned the class that he will kick out students (about 3 or 4) after the yearlies simply because the class is getting too full. I know I can do the work, it's just im a lazy shit when it comes to maths and it has reflected in my half yearlies.
What happens if you are forced to move down? Do you have a choice?
in theory you can't be forced to move down. in practice the school can do what they want...but just talk to your year advisor about it and they will tell who the right people are to talk to about it.

summermagic

HSC
Really, I think you should just keep 2unit since you need it for uni. And besides, you get a fresh new start at it next term. :D

Vars5

HSC
If you didn't find the course difficult to understand then there is no reason why you should not keep it.

I suspect you may be using an easy textbook like "Maths in Focus" which make maths so much easier than the exams. You should have a look at Cambridge and Fitzpatrick textbooks for questions which are considerably more difficult.

Work out of those textbooks and do enough testpapers (under exam conditions) and you will certainly go well.

lishajohannah

HSC
i wanted to drop it too.
prelim was yesterday for maths.
theres no way i passed.
but it had a bit to do with not studying enough.
wouldnt you rather just put in all the effort you can, and stay in 2U, than drop th general were you wont be motivated to learn because of the environment?

Jachie

HSC
Whose name rhymes with Shamara Shadine, amirite? :eek:

cookie.

HSC
rachyyyyy07 said:
Hey everyone !

Help please !
Thanks !

get a harder text book! the 1 i use at school (maths in focus) is not very good... its way 2 easy 4 the 2u corse so i work out of the cambridge 2u maths book with my tutor... much better standard to work with...

independantz

HSC
I suppose you could probably get the year 11 cambridge book and only do the questions related to the 2unit syllabus since most of the book is, also due to the difficulty, if you can tackle the questions then it should improve your marks.
Well that's what i would do if it was me in your place.:wave:

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
beentherdunthat said:
KEEP it. 2unit maths is more interesting than General and it scales better. :)
Quoted for the Truth.

LordPc said:
keep it. honestly, 2u isnt that hard if you just listen in class (!!!) and understand the concepts, which are not that hard at all. 20 mins of h/w each night of just revising the days work is enough. then if you study right before the exam u should do well

its really not that hard, and if you put in a bit more effort you should do quite well.
Agree.
General Mathematics is difficult in its own respects.
It's just some students who are blinded by the assumption that "General Maths is easy" don't see the benefit of Mathematics.

Mathematics (not General Mathematics) is TRUE Mathematics.

summermagic said:
Really, I think you should just keep 2unit since you need it for uni. And besides, you get a fresh new start at it next term. :D
Mathematics appears most often as Assumed Knowledge.
Good thing I do Mathematics (alongside Physics) and even Mathematics Extension 1 :D.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)