2u maths advice... (1 Viewer)

i_like_black

HSC
i got my half yearly mathematics results today. it seems that i knew less than i thought i did. the first time i ever failed maths, getting 85% for the school certificate. i got 37.5%. im now seriously considering dropping down to general, though i am aiming for an 80+ uai uni course, i need some advice on what i should do, or if my half yearly mark was any indication of whether i should drop down or not. i would appreciate people's opinions that have been through a similar situation.

beergirl

polka dots are cool
HSC
Ok, from a year 12 point of view....

I stuffed up year 11 maths and I am still stuffing up this year... Everytime I failed maths (which was every test) I wanted to drop. But now I am glad I didn't give up.

If you understand what your learning, do you do all your homework for maths? Maths is one of those subjects where if you want results you have to do regular study. You might understand things but if you don't do it regularly you wont remember in an exam (well this is what happens to me)

Have you ever considered a tutor?

I suppose its up to you whether you drop or not, but if you did advanced in year 9 and 10, then you can risk not dropping until maybe after your next assessment.

ZeGoat

brown!
HSC
^^^ yea what WW said.... u in wellington eh......... daz like near burrendong rite...

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
also honestly ask yourself did you study hard for the maths test you had? if you study really really hard and you got 30 percent well then there would be a problem, but if you didnt really study then there is your solution

alos think about yourself in relation to others in your classs, was it just a really hard test?

JamiL

in the northen hemisphere (who saids australia is
HSC
maths i find is different to other subjects, just like beergirl said its not about studying the night b4.. u need 2 do 30 min a night of questions so u get the drift of wot u need 2 do my, wot i do is
-do an exercise a night
-ask question even if they sound dumb (i do 2u accel maths and i asked my teacher about significant figures)

the night b4 the exam u souldn be tryn 2 learn formulas, u will never remember them all. u sould be pickn them up along the way. If you try in maths u will do well if u dont you wont. that is that maths is logic not a subject u can jus sit there and bullshit in.
i have a question how much work do u do a night 4 math (honestly)?

sunjet

Hip-Hop Saved My Life
HSC
i do about 20min for maths a night and im like getting 80%

Kulazzi

HSC
I only do h/w and sometimes just accelerate ahead on my own from the influence of my tutor - I have an assessment coming up in 2wks and we're allowed to have 2 handwritten pages of notes to support us. I feel sorry for those girls who write big.....

HSC
N/A
thread starter person......
if ur failing yr 11 maths then ur really going to struggle in yr 12 cause yr 12 work is based on yr 11 work and since ur not understanding the concepts now then chances are u won't understand much in yr 12....unless ur willing to put in a hell of a lot of effort, kill ur social life, and dedicate ur saturdays to maths tutoring......

take my advice and drop maths.....

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by JamiL
maths i find is different to other subjects, just like beergirl said its not about studying the night b4.. u need 2 do 30 min a night of questions so u get the drift of wot u need 2 do my, wot i do is
-do an exercise a night
-ask question even if they sound dumb (i do 2u accel maths and i asked my teacher about significant figures)

the night b4 the exam u souldn be tryn 2 learn formulas, u will never remember them all. u sould be pickn them up along the way. If you try in maths u will do well if u dont you wont. that is that maths is logic not a subject u can jus sit there and bullshit in.
i have a question how much work do u do a night 4 math (honestly)?
true. thats where i go wrong, its the night before the test and i dont not even know the formula i dont have a clue how to use it

kpq_sniper017

Originally posted by Kulazzi
I only do h/w and sometimes just accelerate ahead on my own from the influence of my tutor - I have an assessment coming up in 2wks and we're allowed to have 2 handwritten pages of notes to support us. I feel sorry for those girls who write big.....
what's the challenge in having an assessment with notes to use in the exam?? coz it doesn't really distinguish the good students from the poor students (at least in 2U anyway). in 3U notes don't even help that much at all.

i_like_black

HSC
i cant simply drop maths. 80+ uais dont allow. it was a hard test because i didnt know enough, my teacher wouldnt put anything in there that i shouldnt already know. anyway im over it, dont bother replying anymore.

yulia

i'm sorry for your face.
HSC
heeeeeeeeey no!! i'm sorry coz you've just said don't reply anymore, but you sound JUST LIKE ME. I used to be TOP of my maths class...slowly declined down with my ranking but ending up getting...85 I think for my school certificate....and my first prelim test was OK, not great but ok, but after that, I failed, every single test. I failed my first one this year, horribly, I got like 29%. But you know what? So did a hell of a lot of other people (I really think it's that we have a FOOTBALL COACH as a maths teacher that is a main problem) - anyways, I had the same thoughts as you did around August last year, I was determined to go down to general, even tho I want a high 80s uai (haha like it's going to happen, I used to want high 90s, but I have to be realistic with myself [am failing chem...]) anyways - don't give up, seriously, I know it's hard and all, but I started going to a tutor and since having lessons from him, on my half yearly I ACTUALLY PASSED. Maths is one of my hardest subjects but if I spend lots of time on it (to be honest, I didn't spend much time studying maths, and if I did I let myself get frustrated with the complexity of it all and then give up and cry - which doesn't help anyone), just keep studying and I recommend a book; "Understanding 2 unit maths" - it's kinda old, it's blue and smallish, but it's great. It simplifies a lot of things down. And whilst yes, the year 12 course is based on the prelim course - you don't have to understand it 100% yet, if it's taking you time don't worry, you can always go over it when you're in year 12, you'll just need to spend a bit more time on it, but I'm managing to, so DON'T GIVE UP. You can do it!! (if I can pull my mark up...anyone can!!"

HSC
85 is a good mark for maths. i got that mark in the sc last year too!i was in the same situation in yrs 8 and 9 but i pulled my mark back up in yr 10.
i don't think you need to do notes for the 2u maths exam. just next time an exam comes, just revise what you did in class using maths textbooks. and if you can find any, do past papers as well and you'll be fine. if it doesn't work, well um i don't know. but i think you can do it very well. don't give up yet!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)