• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

2u or 3u ? (1 Viewer)

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
okay this year im starting year 11 ! ><" and well, i chose 2u maths & so many people are telling me to do 3u.

i mean is 2u really that bad ? ive done some prelim 2u stuff in north shore tutoring and well it hasnt really been hard, quite fun! =] but people are saying that if you want a "bludgy" subject, dont let it be maths. =/ that whomps ! but is it good advice ? i mean just looking at the topics in 3u maths make me squirm !

overall, what is the best thing i could do to get a good uai ? LOL & also kinda best for me to do.

although, im thinking of trying it out for prelim anyway. but your thoughts would be really appreciated =]

PrettyVacant

HSC
If you did well in the Year 10 Advanced maths course (maths tutor said around 80), then you'll cope well in 3Unit.

dr baby beanie

*is so happeeeeee!!!*
HSC
Wow maths help is going crazy!
I agree that maths shouldn't be a bludge subject because unless you exceptionally good, if you fall behind it's very hard to catch up.

3u's not that hard, it helps with 2u.

The best thing you could do for a UAI is: pick subjects you like and do really well at them :)

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
Maths is not a bludge subject, unless you're freakishly talented.

However, if you're going well in 2 unit, then it can't hurt to try out extension 1 maths at least. Try out extension 1 maths for a while, and if you don't cope with it, then you can always drop back down to 2 unit. It is much easier to pick it up first then drop down, rather than to pick it up at a later time, if you can pick it up.

PrettyVacant

HSC
LottoX said:
Maths can be pretty bludgy sometimes. I remember mucking around in 4 unit. =) Might explain my non-awesome marks though.
>< Stop being sarcastic.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Try it. If you were in the top 4 Maths classes of Year 10, and you achieved 75+%, then go for it. It's not gonna kill you ;) 3U is just the 2U course with some additional courses. I think most schools allows students to change their subjects in the first few weeks of Term 1.

BIGTYMA

Focus
HSC
2unit is dead easy so u might as well do 3unit and if u cant cope with 3unit just drop it at the end of prelim and then HSC 2unit would just be revision. However i find 3unit to be harder than 4unit for some reason...

milton

HSC
its best to do 3U just in case to keep your options open.
remember- if you do 3U in yr11, you can easily downgrade to 2u, stay to 3u or even upgrade to 4u
but if u just do 2u, you can only do 2u since a prerequisite for hsc 3u is prelim 3u

the gap between 2u and 3u is big, and the gap between 3u and 4u is huge

Riviet

HSC
N/A
I'd also suggest you try out 3u and see how you go. Don't get scared by the topics, you haven't started yet :p

Last edited:

xclusv2bhung

sexier than neha x10000
HSC
I agree with everyone else ^^
Have a shot ! It's never too hard if you havn`t tried it , you never know , you might end up doing better than you thought , and enjoying it much more than 2u.
Like everyone's said , its easier to pick up and drop , rather than pick up later - catching up is guna be a huge burden against the rest of your subjects.

P

pLuvia

If you do 3u you usually think 2u is much easier similarly if you do 4u you will think 3u is so easy

fishy89sg

HSC
SoulSearcher said:
Maths is not a bludge subject, unless you're freakishly talented.
It looks like im freakishly talented in Mathematics :)

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
I don't give a shit if I fail Mathematics Extension 1.
Mathematics is considered good at our school, most of teh n00bs do General Mathematics, who can explain 50% as the average mark in the first HSC General Maths assessment ?

Maths students deserve more respect than your General Maths student.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Do 3u. If only because regardless of whether or not you keep it, it will heavily rely on 2u concepts in such a way that even if you're horrible at 3u maths, you still do better in 2u than you would have had you not taken 3u.

If that doesn't make sense, too bad.

~shinigami~

~Summer Song~
HSC
Let's be honest here, if you do or did 4U then 2U can definately be bludgey at times. :)

LottoX, 4U bludgey? You crazy crazy man! I spend most of my time bashing my head against the desk (metaphorically of course...yeh). :p

~shinigami~

~Summer Song~
HSC
LottoX said:
Haha 4u was fun, because I just worked to about where I went "Bah, that's about good enough", if you really want to do well though, it's best not to do that.
That's cause you probably have a knack for 4U.

I don't think I'm going to do to well at 4U cause I can understand all the theory but when I look at the cambridge exercises, I'm always thinking "Wha?! What the hell does that mean?"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)