• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

2u or 3u ? (2 Viewers)

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Can't do Cambridge? Try Patel first.

dr baby beanie

*is so happeeeeee!!!*
HSC
Slidey said:
Can't do Cambridge? Try Patel first.
As in Excel? If so which one? The fast track 50 exam tips, or the normal ext 2, or this really old one that has a black and blue cover that's written by Patel but it's not an excel?

Riviet

HSC
N/A
~shinigami~ said:
I don't think I'm going to do to well at 4U cause I can understand all the theory but when I look at the cambridge exercises, I'm always thinking "Wha?! What the hell does that mean?"
I was a bit like that when I first started 4u. You should start with other textbooks first as Slidey pointed out (Patel) and when you think you're ready, you should try some of the Cambridge excercises. Don't worry, once you start doing some questions, the topics won't look so scary. ;)
dr baby beanie said:
As in Excel? If so which one?
I think he's referring to the standard one with lots of worked examples and a few excercises at the end of each section.

~shinigami~

~Summer Song~
HSC
Riviet said:
I was a bit like that when I first started 4u. You should start with other textbooks first as Slidey pointed out (Patel) and when you think you're ready, you should try some of the Cambridge excercises. Don't worry, once you start doing some questions, the topics won't look so scary. ;)
Well if a maths whiz like you felt like that, it certainly makes me feel better. I hope I can someday (hopefully by the HSC) be as good as the likes of you and the other maths geniuses (i.e pLuvia, Slidey, Affinity, Riviet and SS) though. :)

Last edited:
P

pLuvia

~shinigami~ said:
That's cause you probably have a knack for 4U.

I don't think I'm going to do to well at 4U cause I can understand all the theory but when I look at the cambridge exercises, I'm always thinking "Wha?! What the hell does that mean?"
lol I never finished the cambridge mechanics questions gave up/couldn't be bothered and also I spent more time on past papers then I did on textbook questions since they were more related to the actual HSC questions.

Luckily this year the mechanics was nothing near the level of the other past HSC mechanics questions :D

~shinigami~

~Summer Song~
HSC
pLuvia said:
lol I never finished the cambridge mechanics questions gave up/couldn't be bothered and also I spent more time on past papers then I did on textbook questions since they were more related to the actual HSC questions.

Luckily this year the mechanics was nothing near the level of the other past HSC mechanics questions :D
I wish I had more time though. The holidays are ending soon and I've not managed to do much 4U because of Eng Adv homework.

Who reckons I should just do English half-arsed and go all out with 4U? :p

Riviet

HSC
N/A
I'd say go for it, seeing as math is worth more (4 units) as opposed to english and you've already spent most of your time so far doing english.

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
If you're not overloading in Units, then 3 unit/4 unit maths is the way to go. But if you are overloading you have to be careful = too much study in too many subjects. I learnt it somewhat the hard way, but I managed still by killing my 10 units =p

Though most importantly, if you're heading towards a Science/Medicine/Commerce Based degree I would highly recommend at least Extension 1 mathematics, since most courses have assumed knowledge of Extension 1 maths.

However by the time you hit uni, you'll be learning 3/4 unit maths anyway, except if you've did it in HSC, then you'll cruise through First Year uni.

~shinigami~

~Summer Song~
HSC
Riviet said:
I'd say go for it, seeing as math is worth more (4 units) as opposed to english and you've already spent most of your time so far doing english.

dr baby beanie said:
^^ but English counts whereas maths might not.

Then again I sort of agree with Riviet.
And I agree with both of you. Maths is so much more fun than English anyway, I'll be hitting the books after a bit of TV. :p

Rekkusu said:
If you're not overloading in Units, then 3 unit/4 unit maths is the way to go. But if you are overloading you have to be careful = too much study in too many subjects. I learnt it somewhat the hard way, but I managed still by killing my 10 units =p

Though most importantly, if you're heading towards a Science/Medicine/Commerce Based degree I would highly recommend at least Extension 1 mathematics, since most courses have assumed knowledge of Extension 1 maths.

However by the time you hit uni, you'll be learning 3/4 unit maths anyway, except if you've did it in HSC, then you'll cruise through First Year uni.
Those are very good points and like most asians, I will be heading for the Science/Medicine/Commerce route with maybe Arts if I can.

Typical asian I am. :p

-pari-

HSC
N/A
the only good thing about maths is the fact

that its got black and white, right and wrong answers, so its easier to know how to study for it.

as opposed to english.

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
Lmao Maths & English = Treat both equally.

When it comes to UAI, I don't think UAC will say, well since Shinigami-san loves maths, and thinks its maths that revolves around the whole universe, we'll scale him up ;)

Seriously though, don't leave English to the last string...Focus on your weaknesses then strengthen your Good Subjects.

~shinigami~

~Summer Song~
HSC
Rekkusu said:
Lmao Maths & English = Treat both equally.

When it comes to UAI, I don't think UAC will say, well since Shinigami-san loves maths, and thinks its maths that revolves around the whole universe, we'll scale him up ;)

Seriously though, don't leave English to the last string...Focus on your weaknesses then strengthen your Good Subjects.
I'm still doing English work, it's just that I'm going to step it up a notch for Maths and leave English as it is. :)

~shinigami~

~Summer Song~
HSC
LottoX said:
Sadly, some people who get 99.90 talk like that.
Well look on the bright side, those people with 99.90 and want to do Medicine will have to get through the interview first.

Still on this subject, how did your UNSW interview go (if you've already done it.)? :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)