• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

3 doors down - be like that - changing perspective? (1 Viewer)

kablam

HSC
Hi

I need to collect some texts and show how they demonstrate a changing perspective as well as how they link to Looking for Alibrandi and the stimulus booklet.

I decided to use the song 'Be Like That' by 3 doors down.

He spends his nights in California,
Watching the stars on the big screen
Then he lies awake and he wonders,
Why cant that be me
Cause in his life he is filled
With all these good intentions
Hes left a lot of things
Hed rather not mention right now
But just before he says goodnight,
He looks up with a little smile at me,
And he says,
If I could be like that,
I would give anything
Just to live one day, in those shoes
If I could be like that,
I would give anything
If I could be like that, what would I do,
What would I do
Now and dreams we run
She spends her days up in the north park,
Watching the people as they pass
And all she wants is just
A little piece of this dream,
Is that too much to ask
With a safe home, and a warm bed,
On a quiet little street
All she wants is just that something to
Hold onto, thats all she needs
Yeah!
If I could be like that,
I would give anything
What would I do
Im falling into this, dreams
We run away
If I could be like that,
I would give anything
What would I do
If I could be like that,
I would give anything
What would I do
If I could be like that,
I would give anything
What would I do
Falling in
I feel I am falling in, to this again.
I'm linking it to Alibrandi since Josie at the beginning of the novel shows a similar perspective. No matter how much I hate Poison Ivy, I want to belong to her world. The world of sleek haircuts and upper class privileges. People who know famous people and live educated lives. A world where I can be accepted. Please, God, let me be accepted by someone other than the underdog.

I'm just not sure how/if it demonstrates a CHANGING perspective. If anyone can help me out I'd really appreciate it.

Also if anyone has some other texts to share that would be great. I need to get a variety of different types.

jessika

law chicky
HSC
okay, I didn't do changing perspective, I did changing self. Also, lets just say I have hardly any brain cells left after the HSC< getting dumber everyday, and not bothering to learn anything. But yeah, I might be of some help.

It changes in narration of the song, swapping from 1st and third person to demonstrate their change in perspective, by what it feels like to see someone wanting to be in someone elses place, to actually experiencing them wanting to be part of their life. err okay forget all that, it made sense in my head it just didn't make sense typed out.

Ill try and think of something else.

Ultimate

Unknown
HSC
I did changing perspective and I may be of some help to you. I didn't study looking for alibrandi, but rather the Stolen Children.

Also if anyone has some other texts to share that would be great. I need to get a variety of different types.
There are some good changing perspective texts such as feature articles and newpaper reports based on the 9/11 terrorist attacks or the bali bombings, if you can access the SMH CD-ROM which your school may have. You can even find radio interview transcripts of these events which infer a change in perspective on the radio national website.

I'm not so sure that the guy in the song undergoes a change in perspective. He wishes he could be someone, then reality hits him, and he continues in this cycle. It is futuristic in tense and is told from the persona of third person, much like a narration (wouldn't say it is in any way first person though).

But in order for a change in perspective to occur values or attitudes must change based on an experience which can be internal or external. I don't think the guy's values or attitudes in the song have changed. He wishes he could be someone but that is not a Change in perspective.

I would be more inclined to choose a ddifferent text which clearly shows a change in perspective.

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
It shows a change which is NOT carried out and hence there is no actual change in *perspective*.

It would be useful perhaps in passing to contrast with Alibrandi - Josie actually does decide to change and the character in the song doesn't.

However, be wary of using these texts in too much depth because simply there isn't much depth. Also, song lyrics are often ambiguous despite their simplicity. Try to show the marker how smrt you are by choosing applicable texts. It's okay to use lyrics, but just be careful with how much detail you go into. It MAY be better to find a different kind of text type with more examples of linguistic techniques.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)