3 "Test Yourself Questions" Please Explain (1 Viewer)

Makro

Porcupine
HSC
Excuse me if you can't understand me, but I'll try to explain it.

1. This is wrong because adding a new table with a primary key means it has to be linked to another field in the table shown. This means that you'd have to create another field to be foreign key. So, in this specific case, it isn't minimising data redundancy.

2. You read decision tables by COLUMNS not rows (as I've made the mistake of doing). The only time where "Claim accepted" is shown is when it ONLY needs "Police Report submitted". "Loss is under $300" is not TICKED, therefore not needed. C is correct because $300 is more than $299, which is what the condition is.

3. A telephone number isn't a "number" in IPT. "Numbers" are anything you're going to use to make a calculation from. Postcode shouldn't be "number" either, because it's a dodgy question, but the BEST answer is C, because it has text for the first two.

On a further note off 3. IPT likes the bullshit "BEST" answer and you'll often find that there can be two correct answers a lot of the time, and sometimes they'll even give you the answer, if you had one of the right ones.

If it doesn't make sense, ask me specifically what you don't understand and I'll explain, or someone else might.

Heiday

HSC
EVerything makes sense, thansk Makro.

But in regards to the numbers not being numbers. In which cases are numbers actually numbers. LOL, i'm quite confused.

Makro

Porcupine
HSC
Makro said:
3. A telephone number isn't a "number" in IPT. "Numbers" are anything you're going to use to make a calculation from. Postcode shouldn't be "number" either, because it's a dodgy question, but the BEST answer is C, because it has text for the first two.
Age shouldn't be number either, I'm trying to think of a suitable field. Something like weight? You know to see if something is too heavy to carry in your bag. If you get me.

Just always ask the question "Do I need to calculate anything with it?" when confused as to whether its text or number.

Takuto

HSC
lol thats not true i think

age is a prefectly good number

weight wouldnt be a good number, u need to include g, kg which makes it text

i believe the reason that the question you gave cant be a number

remember telephone number has brackets for area code

it has to be text for the brackets

if a telephone number doesnt include brackets/area code, it can be a number

Makro

Porcupine
HSC
I wasn't sure about age. You're not going to get marked down if you do nothing with the age field and put it as text.

You've got a good explanation though. Postcode definitely isn't number though, it's text because you don't do anything with it. Also, if you only want numbers in it, you'd use a validation rule/mask.

Takuto

HSC
of course u wont get marked, down

text is perfectly suitable for any number fields too, cuz it includes numbers and characters

postcode is number =]

the fact that a field is number doesnt mean u are going to manipulate it

it means that the field only contains numbers - no characters or symbols

Makro

Porcupine
HSC
textbook example shows phone number + postcode as text, that's what my teachers have told me as well.

Takuto

HSC
lol i get what you're saying

but they dont take what you are going to be using that field for into consideration in the hsc.. they only care if its possible to enter in the needed data with the field type

they will put numbers for fields that arent meant to be manipulated, as long as the field doesnt contain letters or symbols

e.g. that question shows postcode as a number

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)