3 unit Maths marks for 4 unit (1 Viewer)

HSC
hey im currently doing ext 1 maths and the maths coordinator (my teacher) has me down for doing 4 unit and she is trying to get other guys to do it as well, she makes it sound so dam easy lol. I've heard someone once say however, that if you don't get in the 90s for 3 unit you shouldnt bother with 4 unit. Currently i get about 87% in ext 1 and 99% in 2 unit, whilst im first in the course im still having doubts about how well i will go in 4 unit. So basically im seeking reassurance or someone to tell me im dreaming.

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
Well it is obviuos that you're doing very well in 2 unit and well for 3 unit and they beleive that by doing 4 unit, that it will work towards your advantage. In my school, they strictly took the top 48 in 3 unit.
If things dont go the way you want, then you can alwasy drop down. i know one of my friends who's coming first in 2 and 3 unit maths-the head teacher forced him to do 4 unit. He didnt really need 4 unit to get into what he wanted so he stuck with 3 unit. He never turned up to class or for the assesments. Do what you think will benefit you. I would reccomend doing what your teacher tells you and there is no harm in trying. :)

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
She goes to Girraween. Dumb so far as selective schools go, but selective nonetheless.

Kimmeh: Betcha we get more 4u band 6's by percentage:p

I'd go for it, I was getting 87% in my 2u HSC trial last year and Im now excelling at 4u.

Last edited:

JamiL

in the northen hemisphere (who saids australia is
HSC
99% in 2u, and 87 in 3u and comming 1st, obviouly give it ago.
i think the more ppl there is the more competition there is, and the better 4 u. im have scored 90% and 95% in bothe my prelim exams this year and am ranked 1st in Yr 11, i also do accell, and i yr 12 im coming about 18th, which is with the top 3u boys, so im almost confident in doin 4u. i also hear that if u can surivie the 1ts 2 topics ull be fine cos they are the hardest.

afta???

HSC
geezz people......

do all you even consider n if it isn't that good or u r just not for it ...drop it during the year
better than regretting later for not doin it!

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
our school sets tests of average ability and says you can consider 4 unit if you get 70% or above AND you wish to do it.

E

eling

apparently underthebridge is doing well in it so she/he should consider...beta take it up than regretting

afta???

HSC
eling said:
apparently underthebridge is doing well in it so she/he should consider...beta take it up than regretting
exactly!
the golden rule in choosing for the hsc

Trev

stix
HSC
you all say what percentages u get, but how are other poeple in ur class going? like do u hav competition or are you beating everyone by heaps?! im 2nd in ext n 3rd in adv atm n wanna do 4unit and been told i can, but not sure whether ill b able to

azar90

HSC
Trev's right...your marks mean nothing. What generally matters is your rank. I got 63% in my 3U half yearly this year (yr 12). But my rank improved from 6th to 5th (/ 100 or so). So you can't judge anything by marks.

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
withoutaface said:
She goes to Girraween. Dumb so far as selective schools go, but selective nonetheless.

Kimmeh: Betcha we get more 4u band 6's by percentage:p

I'd go for it, I was getting 87% in my 2u HSC trial last year and Im now excelling at 4u.
ahh stfu you :p we're not "dumb" in selective schools. you should look at macquarie fields! apparently, last year was a really bad year. the year before that we were ranked 30th in the state with one girl getting 100 :p i dont see oakhill in the top 30 ever :p

gman03

HSC
Go for 4U. Dunno if this is relavent but at the end of yr 11 I decide not picking 4U since my 2U rank was shithous and 3 unit was slightly and thought "hmm I could focus on my 3U and ace the exam"... Then I saw one of my friend who aced 2U picked up 4U and I thought to myself "wtf, 2U->4U? what am I doing?" and so I picked up 4U.. I did strangle more than 50% of 4U but in the end I topped the grade (but my 3U mark became shithouse)

So the moral is: just give it a ago. If you plan to go to university than 4U is a must.

Trev said:
wats the first two topics u sed were the hard ones? complex numbers?! wat else...
and graphs..

imo out of the 8 topics, only polynomial is easy to handle.. the other 7 topics are really challenging

afta???

HSC
u can go to uni without 4unit

if u need 4u to go to uni then there would only b 5000 ppl each year entering uni!

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
kimmeh said:
ahh stfu you :p we're not "dumb" in selective schools. you should look at macquarie fields! apparently, last year was a really bad year. the year before that we were ranked 30th in the state with one girl getting 100 :p i dont see oakhill in the top 30 ever :p
Oakhill doesn't select their students. And I don't see Giraween being the top 3 maths school in the state, ever

Oh and btw, Inge De Bruijn is hotter:p:uhhuh:

Last edited:

JamiL

HSC
gman03 said:
Go for 4U. Dunno if this is relavent but at the end of yr 11 I decide not picking 4U since my 2U rank was shithous and 3 unit was slightly and thought "hmm I could focus on my 3U and ace the exam"... Then I saw one of my friend who aced 2U picked up 4U and I thought to myself "wtf, 2U->4U? what am I doing?" and so I picked up 4U.. I did strangle more than 50% of 4U but in the end I topped the grade (but my 3U mark became shithouse)

So the moral is: just give it a ago. If you plan to go to university than 4U is a must.

and graphs..

imo out of the 8 topics, only polynomial is easy to handle.. the other 7 topics are really challenging
WOT???
if u do 4u it doesn mean u will get a good mark, no way. and mabey 1 possibly 2 uni courses suggest 2 do 4u maths, it is not a must. only do 4u maths if u like it.

afta???

HSC
JamiL said:
WOT???
if u do 4u it doesn mean u will get a good mark, no way. and mabey 1 possibly 2 uni courses suggest 2 do 4u maths, it is not a must. only do 4u maths if u like it.
no i would say do 4unit even if u dont mind it and is doin ok n prepared to work hard

hardly anyone is a true lover of maths......they are a rare specie if there is any

JamiL

HSC
i luv maths, it makes sence and is more important (in my view) then english. i think it should be the only compulsory subject, and english should be like other languages. if i didn have 2 do english (im dreaming) i would do

Ext 2 Maths
Phy
Chem
Bio
SORII

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)