33116 Statistical Design and Analysis (1 Viewer)

miraj

mr.47
HSC
33116 Statistical Design and Analysis

This unit is part of life science stream in the b of science course. If anyone has done this can u tell me whats it about. it sounds maths like so what level of maths would it be?

krayzie_

HSC
I've done it and completed it. Yea it is maths, statistics. Should be alright with HSC 2U.

Very confusing at the start, but then owned it in the end. Need help, ask me. You got to buy a 50 buck folder for the subject which has all you subject notes, tutorials and assessment tasks. Lecturer is Ed Lidums, he is a good lecturer but some people find his lectures boring and don't turn up. If you fall behind, don't get left behind because the stuff involved usually depends on the stuff which was learnt the week before, so if you don't understand make sure you do!

miraj

mr.47
HSC
Cool thanks man. I was thinking about whether to go to 3 unit maths bridging course. i will go for the first 2 or 3 lessons and see how useful its from then on.

krayzie_

HSC
I see, I found that alot of people found it overwhelming when they first begun. Ed usually moves fast so make sure you bring a notepad to copy down his examples.

As a mathematician he usually doesn't use a calculater where one would use one. So make sure you have one too.

miraj

mr.47
HSC
LOL thanks bit stupid of me not to check the signature

HSC
krayzie_ said:
I've done it and completed it. Yea it is maths, statistics. Should be alright with HSC 2U.

Very confusing at the start, but then owned it in the end. Need help, ask me. You got to buy a 50 buck folder for the subject which has all you subject notes, tutorials and assessment tasks. Lecturer is Ed Lidums, he is a good lecturer but some people find his lectures boring and don't turn up. If you fall behind, don't get left behind because the stuff involved usually depends on the stuff which was learnt the week before, so if you don't understand make sure you do!
Where can we buy this folder?

Erisus

December Member
HSC
most broing lectures ever...the pracs and 1 hour lectures are alright
but the 2 hour one...unfathomable...the sheer agony of his voice and boredom...

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
you dont have to go to the lectures, just at least you complete the work at home. I did that and still got a reasonable mark =)

krayzie_

HSC
Erisus said:
most broing lectures ever...the pracs and 1 hour lectures are alright
but the 2 hour one...unfathomable...the sheer agony of his voice and boredom...
SDA has pracs? I did it last year just lectures and tutorial..

How are you guys finding it besides boring? Ok? Easy? Hard? =]

HSC
krayzie_ said:
SDA has pracs? I did it last year just lectures and tutorial..

How are you guys finding it besides boring? Ok? Easy? Hard? =]
Hard to say if its easy or hard because I can't listen for more than a couple of minutes at a time. I guess it'll be hard because I don't bother to listen at all. The notes seem alright though.

krayzie_

HSC
Ah I see, I hardly ever went to any lectures and still managed a D.

Make sure you do the four assignments AND it is imperative that you go to the workshops which are held before mid semesters as well as the one held before the finals. As the exam they go through in the workshops are exactly in the same format as the real mid semester and final exam.

euro-dragon

Im a LolOsaUR Hear Me Roa
HSC
my god stats is boring, but im trying to stay on track...i find the notes very helpful cause ed talks a bit too slow for my liking and theres nothign interesting about it...kinda puts you to sleep...oh well like 11 weeks left of it! lol

miraj

mr.47
HSC
Actually I found the notes not very helpful. they are shit so i had to get a stat book from the library and its been ok so far. Probability pisses me off though

HSC
krayzie_ said:
Ah I see, I hardly ever went to any lectures and still managed a D.

Make sure you do the four assignments AND it is imperative that you go to the workshops which are held before mid semesters as well as the one held before the finals. As the exam they go through in the workshops are exactly in the same format as the real mid semester and final exam.
Good to know, thanks for that.

jamesmacca

HSC
Hey im doing my first statistics assignemnts now....hard as all hell because i dont understand the jargon used. Yes Ed is a great lecturer in terms of the passion he has for the subject but terrible in the fact he doesnt really keep the audience involved....although statistics?...besides Ed who likes it?

Is it alright to ask for help on assignemnts here? or is it considered cheating?

I ask this as in my unedited version of this reply i asked for ALOT of help but then on another thread i found out someone actually got in shit for talking a teacher down.

Basically IF its ok to ask for help would anyone be willing to ASSIST not DO my lab assignemnt? I just need to check some answers.i.e ask if what i have is correct and leave it at that...I will be happy to email questions if that is prefered.

Last edited:

katarvey

Premium Member
HSC
maxpowerallstar said:
Hard to say if its easy or hard because I can't listen for more than a couple of minutes at a time. I guess it'll be hard because I don't bother to listen at all. The notes seem alright though.
oomygosh i know ..his random pauses in the middle of a sentance combined with that accent....i cant stand the two hour lecs (i feel a bit sorry for him cause no one shows up)
"and then...
you calculate the...
answer on...
MINITAB"

and the 4 hours of lectures he spent on the outcomes of tossing a coin!:jaw: just the repeated use of the word "head" killed it

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)