3d Trig help needed urgently (1 Viewer)

Petinga

HSC
1. The angle of elevation of a mountain due north of an observer is 12 degrees. From a point 200 metres east of this observer the angle of elevation is 14 degrees. Find the height of the mountain to the nearest metre.

i seem to be geting negative and it wont work out.

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
I've been trying to do it and I end up with a negative as well:

h²/tan²14 = h²/tan²12 + 200²

200² = h²/tan²14 - h²/tan²12

200² = h²(1/tan²14 - 1/tan²12)

h² = 200²/(1/tan²14 - 1/tan²12) - But (1/tan²14 - 1/tan²12) = approximately - 6.

Are you sure that the angles of elevation are the right way round? That may be the problem - if you reverse the angles, you end up with:

h² = 200²/(1/tan²12 - 1/tan²14)

h² = 200²/6.047

h² = 6614.65

h = 81.33 m.

Which, even though it's a bit small for a mountain, is at least positive... unless I screwed up somewhere.

I_F

Last edited:

Kutay

University
HSC
well prob question still right but just put in absolute values lol anyhow they would give a question like that

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
No absolute values with 3D trig. I'm pretty sure they've just gotten the angles of elevation the wrong ways around.

I_F

munkaii

HSC
Lol. Simple error. Draw the diagram properly.
If you do you'll realise that 200 is not the hypotenuse. it is the distance from observer with elevatiob 14 degrees i believe.

A l

HSC
N/A
insert-username said:
Which, even though it's a bit small for a mountain, is at least positive...
The height you calculated is not too small and is reasonable, considering that the angle of elevation is rather low.

Where did the question come from? If it was from a textbook or something like that, what was the given answer to it?

I strongly think that there may be an error in the question. I was trying to assess the validity of such a situation in real life and conclude that such a case was not possible in real life. (unless of course I misread the question)

I can conclude that the angle of elevation of a heightened object directly in front of an oberver's view must be greatest angle of elevation if the observer does not decrease the distance between him/her and the elevated object.

Last edited:

A l

HSC
N/A
Assuming that the same point of the mountain is observed, I think the question has errors and here is why. (unless of course I had misread the question)
Look at it this way:
- First of all, the angle of elevation must decrease with increasing distance, which is common sense. If you look at a tower directly above you, the angle of elevation is much more than if you look at the same point from a distance away.
- The distance between the observer and the directly north mountain, would be less than the distance between the observer and the same mountain if he or she were to move 200 metres east (or any distance away) from his starting point.
- Since the distance between the observer and mountain has increased when 200 metres east of the initial position, therefore the angle of elevation must have decreased from the original position.
- This is also proved by the right-angled triangle formed when you draw out the diagram. At the distance 200 metres east of the initial position, the hypotenuse of the right-angled triangle is formed. Since the hypotenuse is the longest side of the triangle, the distance from the mountain must have increased between the two points.
- However, the question implies that the angle of elevation has increased which is not possible in real life and since we are dealing with real numbers, the situation described by the question is not valid and hence that explains why people are getting negative numbers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)