3u Books; What Actually Works? (1 Viewer)

Stan..

HSC
What books actually help out in yr11 3u Maths? There are a lot out there but what ones helped you this year?

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
for preliminary the excel book ( it had fully worked solution, lotsa questions, clear instructions) i found it really good! ( the hsc one for 2 unit/3unit isnt as good, damn it!)

dont know what it is called but it has an orange cover ( helpful i know) but yeah it was good! ( i will type it up if i find the name of it)

zahid

Sheikh Mujib-ur-Rahman
HSC
JamiL said:
fitzpatrick.... i think is orange 4 3u, might be the 4u 1 im think of thou

yea the orange one is the 4 unit book, the 3 unit one is blueish.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
There are good text books (like cambridge) with good hard questions which will put you on top if you can do them but if you want something that is genuinely helpful then I recommend 'Understanding Year 12 Maths' (Extension 1 [2&3 unit course]) by Dr. Max Shur. It has really good, clear explanations of each topic with a good layout. The questions aren't that excellent but you can teach yourself a lot with it. Great for those who don't do the tutor thing.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Fitzpatrick 3u is awesome. I hear Cambridge 3u is, too. But then, I hear Coroneos is, also.

All you really need is one of these books.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
*girl04* said:
for preliminary the excel book ( it had fully worked solution, lotsa questions, clear instructions) i found it really good! ( the hsc one for 2 unit/3unit isnt as good, damn it!)

dont know what it is called but it has an orange cover ( helpful i know) but yeah it was good! ( i will type it up if i find the name of it)
i think you are refring to the couchman book. for school we are using fitzpatrick for both 2 and 3U. and correction on its colour. its more of a teal or sea-green colour :D

for school we are also using maths in focus. Brilliant.

but i advise using cambridge and maths in focus in conjunction with each other.

icxdragon

HSC
N/A
TimeAndTide said:
If you can finish Cambridge Prelim. 3U...you are THE king of your school...unless everyone else buys it...then you're stuffed.
;) even if everyone else gets it doesnt mean that they'll do it all, soz if you finish the book, you'd still be the king og the school. As for me, couldnt handle all those repetitive questions, soz i say go 3u fitz! (green one)

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
i use excel for 3u HSC course, it's not bad from what i've seen

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
KFunk said:
There are good text books (like cambridge) with good hard questions which will put you on top if you can do them but if you want something that is genuinely helpful then I recommend 'Understanding Year 12 Maths' (Extension 1 [2&3 unit course]) by Dr. Max Shur. It has really good, clear explanations of each topic with a good layout. The questions aren't that excellent but you can teach yourself a lot with it. Great for those who don't do the tutor thing.

thats the book i was thinking of for year 11/3 unit ( understanding ...) my copy has an orange cover and it was an absolute life saver ...

Jaydels

HSC
Slide Rule said:
Fitzpatrick 3u is awesome. I hear Cambridge 3u is, too. But then, I hear Coroneos is, also.

All you really need is one of these books.
We used Coroneos, I wouldn't recommend it. It's a bit outdated and hard to follow.

MedNez

:o>---<
HSC
N/A
Jaydels said:
We used Coroneos, I wouldn't recommend it. It's a bit outdated and hard to follow.
That's what we have. I don't mind it, but also wouldn't recommend it. The layout is shocking. It looks like it's been done on a typewriter :p

I miss the Signpost books and their maths puns every so often.

TimeAndTide

Kage Bunshin No Jutsu
HSC
Excel is a piece of shit....when i find out who the publisher is, I'll torch the factory.

Excel is way too brief, and the questions are not common. Its only good for revision, and this is for every excel book.

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
maths excel is good .. all those worked questions and answers. not as good for ext 21, more so for 2 unit. and better for prelim than hsc but still

Estel

Tutor
HSC
anyone who doesn't like Coroneos (i.e. the overwhelming majority) should be shot.

TimeAndTide

Kage Bunshin No Jutsu
HSC
*girl04* said:
maths excel is good .. all those worked questions and answers. not as good for ext 21, more so for 2 unit. and better for prelim than hsc but still
Excel is crap!! Wayyyy too breif! Its cheap, but brief.
Pascal Press right?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)