3u Maths -- Drop or Continue...? (1 Viewer)

PenelopeK

S Healer
HSC
Doing 3u maths at the moment takes away quite a bit of time from my other subjects, i find myself putting in abour 3-4 hours every night for maths.

Im ready to put the effort in, but im not sure it is worth it??

capsicum

HSC
are you doing well in the subject? think about the other subjects you're undertaking and if they're as equally demanding - eg. physics, chem, eng. ext, etc. - and you find that you can't cope, then drop. but then it all depends on if you find 3u maths easy. are you achieving good marks from the 3-4hrs you're putting in? can you still get those marks if you spent say, 1-2 hrs per night?

PenelopeK

S Healer
HSC
im doing quite well in the subject, top 4 in the class. and i have picked phys, eng, anc, ext hist and 3u maths next year, im not sure wether im going to make it harder on myself if i do continue with ext maths

capsicum

HSC
PenelopeK said:
im doing quite well in the subject, top 4 in the class. and i have picked phys, eng, anc, ext hist and 3u maths next year, im not sure wether im going to make it harder on myself if i do continue with ext maths
whoa, they're pretty heavy subjects! hmm... how many hours of study are you currently doing per night for all your other subjects?

tWiStEdD

deity of ultimate reason
HSC
its worth it.
keep it.
you should be doing 30 mins to an hour and a half of maths. if you're doing more there is a problem.

can you drop religion?

illin

Ill factor
HSC
PenelopeK said:
Doing 3u maths at the moment takes away quite a bit of time from my other subjects, i find myself putting in abour 3-4 hours every night for maths.

are u kidding me
u suck
im doin 4u maths next year and u r putting way tooo much effort in for maths
seriously if ur struggling drop it and u wont have any probs with 2unit

aim54x

XccenTRiX
lost in the mists of time, shrouded by thought
HSC
i have d same prob 4 4u. my advice is to keep it until u cant take anymore, esp if ur gettin marks for ur work. in 4u, i spend up to 4hrs, yet im still failin miserably, but its too late to drop. im wishin dat i will wake up one day and understand, if ur in the same boat i would advise a talk with the careers advisor or the local scaling xpert.

like Goddard said - "1% talent, 99% perspiration"

wat do you want to do??? if it is maths or eng, keep it

belly_moo

burgur 'o5
HSC
hehe i had my 3u maths yearly today. fcuked up quite badly. but see, maths is just not my thing [i havent passed any of my ext maths tests, and yes i've tried before].

you seem like you're into maths if you've chosen physics as well [anotehr number cruncher sub]. maybe keep 11-12U [incl the 3u maths] n just see how you go ? i guess its relaly worthwhile if you enjoy the long hours of studying though.. it really depends on you i guess..

Kulazzi

HSC
illin said:
are u kidding me
u suck
im doin 4u maths next year and u r putting way tooo much effort in for maths
seriously if ur struggling drop it and u wont have any probs with 2unit
erm.......the only way to succeed in maths is to keep practicing and I don't think the amount PenelopeK is putting in isn't too much. It's perfectly fine, from my view, to do that many so you can get the hang of it 'cos maths is like.......very memorisation stuff and the only way you can achieve that is by practicing UNLESS you are one of those super-uber people who can just rattle the formulaes off the top of their heads and get all answers correct (which is definitely not me! :p)

capsicum

HSC
PenelopeK said:
i start studying at 4 till 10 for all my subjects inc the 3 for maths

that's a lot of study for a prelim student! well done! well, i guess it'd be a good idea to keep 3u maths since you're going pretty strong in it. if you're planning to drop to 10 units then drop the subject you're performing the weakest.

zergcave

HSC
dangerousdave said:
I know people who were failing and have dropped from 3U down to 2U and they're owning it.
I think if you are stuggling then you should drop.
whats so hard about 3u maths?

i find the pple who see maths as 'a bunch a forumlae' that they must memorise tend to fail ...fail miserably

PenelopeK

S Healer
HSC
zergcave said:
whats so hard about 3u maths?

i find the pple who see maths as 'a bunch a forumlae' that they must memorise tend to fail ...fail miserably

thats very true, a lot of ppl think the same applies to physics and chemistry 'a bunch or formulae to memorise' and are getting very low marks.

boasboy

MUSTARD*
HSC
hey.. that's how i think.. and i still get quite good (compared to my friends.. mayb they're just dumb).. even though im more of an "english person" xD~

(^o^)

you stupid crap! *slaps*
HSC
nick1048 said:
KEEP KEEP! 3 unit mathz is coo
l Don't listen to nick1048, he just likes maths and the comment is just a bit too bias.

My teacher says 45mins per night is enough for 3U maths(yr11), next year is around 1 hour. However that does depend on the individual. But to me (and most people) 3-4 hours of maths per night is just too much, not to mention you have othery heavy subjects such as ext history and physics.

wrx said:
Umm, i dont think u should take 'illin' s advice imo. I think this is where time management will come in.
I think illin's advice is right in his/her way as I believe that 3-4hours of 3U prelim is too much, it can be true that "this is where time management will come in" but do you think you can somehow shorten your maths hw time by at least an hour?

PenelopeK said:
As long as you are ready to put the effort in and happy about it. Just curious, do you go out often?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)