3u method Projectile (1 Viewer)

dolbinau

HSC
Does it matter if we derive the formulas using the 3u method?

It just makes it easier to understand for me. I guess I could write the equations next to my 3u working - but would we lose marks? I can't see how, the formulas we derive would basically be the same.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
I'm not sure if you do get marks deducted. I think you should be ok.
However, deriving the equations using calculus takes far longer than using the equations as given. I mean, you're actually given the equations of velocity and displacement, so why bother wasting space by deriving them?

ianc

physics is phun!
HSC
no you definitely don't lose any marks for doing it the "3 unit way".

but i don't know why you'd bother. it's the same thing anyway - and you'll save time by just looking at the formula sheet than spending a few minutes differentiating.

the other thing that i found with the physics hsc is that paper space is really limited, so that might be a bit problematic if you take up heaps of room deriving things that are already on the formula sheet

good luck for the hsc!

dolbinau

HSC
Thanks, I'll try some practice papers with both methods and see.

Johnny1323

HSC
3 unit method is fine, however if u dont get it right u dont get marks for working.

SkimDawg

Feeling Good
HSC
3unitz said:
what the hell is up with people asking this? they give you the formula wtf is wrong with you
I argree with this. I've seen people ask this way too much and its starting to give me the shits. Just use the physics formulas, so at least if you do get it wrong, you'll get marks for the working out, ect, like the others mentioned.

Sastrawan

HSC
SkimDawg said:
I argree with this. I've seen people ask this way too much and its starting to give me the shits. Just use the physics formulas, so at least if you do get it wrong, you'll get marks for the working out, ect, like the others mentioned.
Yeah, mathsy people will want to use the 3u formulas, because they superficially seem "better motivated". But remember, the physics course teaches you physics formulas for a reason, and I wouldn't run the risk of using notation that Physics isn't familiar with. Not of course implying that you would be perfectly clear in your working, but this is very much a 'box-ticking' course, and you get marks for doing things the way the markers want you.

Another thing, the Physics course teaches absolutely no calculus, so I would really not recommend doing any in the working. The calculus is done for you on the formula sheet, so just copypasta :p

dolbinau

HSC
I argree with this. I've seen people ask this way too much and its starting to give me the shits.
The topic title is pretty clear, if you didn't like it you didn't have to open it.

Aaron.Judd

HSC
Just use Physics methods and formulas as it is quicker. If you can't remember the physics equations/read the formula sheet/use them you shouldn't be doing HSC Physics.

helper

HSC
N/A
SkimDawg said:
use the physics formulas, so at least if you do get it wrong, you'll get marks for the working out, ect, like the others mentioned.
If you use the 3 unit way and set up the equations correctly, you can still obtain morks for working, even if your final answer is wrong.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)