4.8 - Earthquakes recorded in Aus (1 Viewer)

midnight

we used to be friends
HSC
May as well make use of this forum.

I've been having trouble finding information to satisfy both parts of this point: distinguish between plate margin and intra-plate earthquakes with reference to the origins of specific earthquakes recorded on the Australian continent.
Obviously intraplate earthquakes occur away from the edge of the plates, and plate margin ones occur where the plates meet. Newcastle is described as an incidence of an intraplate earthquake in my textbook, but it doesn't mention any others in Australia - should I be looking for more? Or is that sufficient? I've looked through all the sheets that I've got and couldn't find any more information, just wondering if anyone else could help.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Plate margin ones wouldnt occur on the Australian continent is entirely one plate isnt it?

Try the website http://www.seis.com.au it has details on all Australian earthquakes recorded, so you could take some recent decent sized ones.

dawso

needmorecustomstatusspace
HSC
yeah, any quakes in aus are inra plate earthquakes, if u want example, im pretty sure there is a list of heaps of em on hsc online. i hav said it b4, and ill say it again, that site has the entire course on it, my old teacher said it was the bible.
How lame is it, this entire course has a whole 3 posts on it, GO TEAM E+E!

midnight

we used to be friends
HSC
Thanks, that website looks pretty useful for other stuff.

I looked on HSC Online before I posted, and I thought that the answer could have been a bit better. I wrote down the WA example though, and will ask my teacher about it.
Some of the dot points seem really awkward, unfortunately, and I make things harder than they have to be for myself. ;)

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Newcastle is the best one to use because its the most famous and it was rather large for an intra plate earthquake. There are quite often small earthquakes in the simpson desert ... but they are not felt to compared the Newcastle earthquake.

addict

'Specal' Member
HSC
we just did newcastle...it should be fine just knowing about that, spec in detail. if you want know a little bit about a couple of others to fill in your answer a bit more...

midnight

we used to be friends
HSC
Thanks for all the help. :)
I can't imagine it being a question that would be worth a lot of marks, and requiring a lot of examples, but I suppose it's better to be safe.

yulia

i'm sorry for your face.
HSC
there was one in WA that was felt...somewhere...lol...like in a place a few kilometres away. im no help tho, i dont remember where it was but apparently it was huge.

i dont like this topic :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)