• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

$4.81 an hour for a full time job... DOES THAT SOUND FUCKED UP TO YOU!? (1 Viewer)

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
I am about to have an interview at some modelling & acting agency (no I'm just the admin) for $20K AT LEAST, full time, 8hrs, 5 days a week.

My mum says I split half the earnings to her, cuz she's family. Working it out... that's $4.81 PER HOUR I WORK!?!?

does that sound UNREASONABLE to you!??!

G

Gavvvvvin

Yes your mum sounds pretty unreasonable. If my parents tried to pull a stunt like that on me Id tell them where to go.

laney

HSC
yeah well that's stupid if you're splitting the earnings and counting it like that.

i mean i could earn 20$/hour and tell you i have to split if 5 ways...omg $4 and hour!!! geeze.

you're looking at $9.60 an hour and for admin stuff sounds pretty low..i guess it'll depend on how old you are. still sounds a bit low...

Ziff

HSC
N/A
That's BS. Whatever money you earn is yours. At $20k/yr you could move out in your own right.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
laney said:
yeah well that's stupid if you're splitting the earnings and counting it like that.

i mean i could earn 20$/hour and tell you i have to split if 5 ways...omg $4 and hour!!! geeze.

you're looking at $9.60 an hour and for admin stuff sounds pretty low..i guess it'll depend on how old you are. still sounds a bit low...

Thanx. What do most admin people get? I'm 17 by the way.

Wild Dan Hibiki

teh sex0r
HSC
about 10ish atleast... i think, well i better get atleast that for my job

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
full time generally get less an hour though don't they, cause you get benefits like sick leave and a guarantee of work? so it makes sense that the hourly rate itself is a little low?

tell your mum to get a job, seriously, it's your money and she has no right to demand you to 'split' it with her. when are you 18?

Komaticom

Bored Member
HSC
Uni Grad
A mother who demands a share of her daughter's income is... well... I'd rather not say... for the benefit of all involved.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
negotiation? no more splitting once your 18. i think it's unfair but i know some parents do it. but yes you worked for it, you should keep it.

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
ur_inner_child said:
I am about to have an interview at some modelling & acting agency (no I'm just the admin) for $20K AT LEAST, full time, 8hrs, 5 days a week.

My mum says I split half the earnings to her, cuz she's family. Working it out... that's $4.81 PER HOUR I WORK!?!?

does that sound UNREASONABLE to you!??!
$4.81 from your employer is getting close to unreasonable, but that's not the case. Maybe your mother wants you to save some of your money for later on and not spend it all as soon as it hits your bank account? Have you discussed why she wants some of your money? It will also get you used to ponying up for shit because you won't be living at home forever.

You will also notice that $20k does not mean $20k into your bank account, depending how they are employing you they might take a little off here and there for Super and you will be paying tax on your income as well, although you will be getting almost all of it back at tax time, which is of no use to you until tax return time.

If she is putting it away for you to save then I say it's a good idea, everyone else needs to look at it from a less sinister point of view. I know plenty of people who have to give half their money home, but the other half they blow on whatever, that way they get to enjoy their money, at least pay some of their way, and know that in a few years they will have a little nest egg saved up for a house deposit or something.

$20k a year is very tempting to spend as soon as you get it while you have no expenses.

Komaticom

Bored Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Aren't most people tight with they money they make? I'm guessing, with no support evidence, that people who have a job are mature and don't go superficial crap with the money they make.

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
Komaticom said:
Aren't most people tight with they money they make? I'm guessing, with no support evidence, that people who have a job are mature and don't go superficial crap with the money they make.
Not really, Australia has fairly high levels of consumer debt which means people are NOT tight with their money, they are also NOT tight with money they don't have.

Just because you have a job doesn't make you mature either, it just means you have some income and a certain amount of responsibility to show up somewhere when told.

Suvat

part timer
HSC
N/A
It all depends on individual family cultures

I know some who hand over all of their wages to parents, but whenever they need money their parents would always give it to them. There are others who prefer to keep all their wages and manage their own expenses. I prefer the latter since it promotes independence and (possibly) budgeting skills but some people do have a tendancy to... overspend...

Oh btw, is definitely wrong to calculate the amount you're getting paid using that method.

Last edited:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Just an aside, if its not too personal, whats your mums reason for splitting the money ?

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
I think if you are working fulltime giving your mum some of the money is fair enough (as board/rent), but splitting it with her is just crazy, and she shouldn't ask you to do it.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Thanx guys for all the help. At the moment I'm not to concerned. I'd be getting $400 a week, so splitting that each week doesnt sound TOO bad... i'd be making more money than most 17 year olds would??

My mum justified it as "cuz we're family" and that it'd teach me to support them and get use to supporting them through their lives - ie: paying for their retirement, like most asian families do?? is that right?

*sigh* I was actually wanting to move out any time soon. At this rate, I don't think it could happen.... HEX, surviving AND supporting... :confused:

EDIT: HEX assuming that I defer... *does not know yet obviously*

Orange Juice

so worthless i am
HSC
oh fucking hell this is sad... no offence but your family sound fairly uptight... i mean first they dont let you out after 5pm and now this :p

i doubt you could live on 200 bucks a week.. and you wouldnt be working full time during uni so you wouldnt get 200 bucks...
about the asian family paying for their retirement... my rents arent retiring yet... so i dont see why they should get any of my work money... (and 50% is a fair bit)... but once they do ill support them...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)