• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

$4.81 an hour for a full time job... DOES THAT SOUND FUCKED UP TO YOU!? (1 Viewer)

SipSip

HSC
N/A
Why would your mum want your money, based on the reason that she's family...ok...ask her to split her wealth with you now cause you're family, if she agrees...then maybe you could split yours with her...

Btw..does your mum work?

Parents should be proud of their kids for getting a job and working, not ripping their kids off so that they can get money, btw...10ish an hour is before tax as well...so you gotta say you'll probably end up getting 4.50 an hr...

But you do get more benefits and chances are you'll probably get a raise after you've been working there...

SipSip

HSC
N/A
Orange Juice said:
oh fucking hell this is sad... no offence but your family sound fairly uptight... i mean first they dont let you out after 5pm and now this :p

i doubt you could live on 200 bucks a week.. and you wouldnt be working full time during uni so you wouldnt get 200 bucks...
about the asian family paying for their retirement... my rents arent retiring yet... so i dont see why they should get any of my work money... (and 50% is a fair bit)... but once they do ill support them...
Agreed...I had no idea she wasn't let out after 5pm though...gosh...she must be trapped in a tiny cage at night while her family devours her income...
My parents are asian and they don't care about how much i earn...i earn more i use more...plus, i don't go around asking them for money...so i don't see why because they're family, they get money??? it just doesn't work, i mean, you could blast them and say "you think i have a choice in having such an uptight family" but that would be rude...
Asian parents have the freaken weirdest concepts...i mean do they also say you must never see a male until you finish uni and start working...And then when you get a bf, they'll consider whether his rich or not...and after you get married, they'll go up to him and go, "I want half your money, cause we're family..."
Are they even paying for HECS...it's only like 300 dollars if you defer payment, so you should be fine if you move out...but seriously, you won't be able to work full time during uni...

Orange Juice

so worthless i am
HSC
well i kinda made up the 5pm thing up :p... but as i recall her parents didnt like it when she went out... or maybe it was someone else :p
yeh my parents are the same... if i made 100 bucks an hour id spend more, and thats that... its not like they cant afford shit... if they needed money id give it but i mean when they ask for 50% of your money for no reason thats just wrong...
and i bet most asian familys reckon that the first gf/bf will be the last bf/gf :p....they dont really know the concept of going out and having fun...
sip sip, can i ask you what nationaility you are?
you can just defer uni shit... but lets not forget union fees and textbooks... im assuming they aint gonna pay since they be taking 50% of your money as it is...

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
People need to be aware that there are many cultures and while you might not personally agree with how one culture treats money within the family it is not very nice to say that they are messed up based on your limited understanding of your own rights and responsibilities within your own socio economic circumstances as it shows ignorance.

You need to weigh things up, is the benefit of living at home where certain things are provided worth that money to you? How much do you think it would cost you to have the same things bought and run with your own money?

Do you think you could live with your friends or strangers in a flat or house? Chances are you won't be able to stand their little annoyances and unless you share, the rent will eat a very large portion of your income before you even start to think about food and electricity. Then if you have some money left you might be lucky to be able to buy some new clothes and other things once in a while.

It's HECS not HEX and that should always be the least of your worries when going to uni as it can always be deferred.

And yes a lot of Asian and European families put emphasis on taking care of your parents when they are older. In Japan the culture is changing a little bit and people are noticing that the young people are all too busy working and living their own lives to take care of their elderly so they are facing a worsening crisis of all these old people with no one to care for them who have put into the family unit instead of themselves and not received much back. Back in the old days you'd have several generations of one family all living in one house, that doesn't happen much anymore and people are confused as to what is supposed to be happening.

Edit: Fixed Spelling

Last edited:

SipSip

HSC
N/A
Orange Juice said:
well i kinda made up the 5pm thing up :p... but as i recall her parents didnt like it when she went out... or maybe it was someone else :p
yeh my parents are the same... if i made 100 bucks an hour id spend more, and thats that... its not like they cant afford shit... if they needed money id give it but i mean when they ask for 50% of your money for no reason thats just wrong...
and i bet most asian familys reckon that the first gf/bf will be the last bf/gf :p....they dont really know the concept of going out and having fun...
sip sip, can i ask you what nationaility you are?
you can just defer uni shit... but lets not forget union fees and textbooks... im assuming they aint gonna pay since they be taking 50% of your money as it is...
I'm asian and proud of it!! ^^
But i came here when i was heaps little, like 6, so my parents are pretty relaxed with what i do...kinda like what parents should be. And I grateful that they are pretty well off to not need money from me and even give me a great life...they don't agree with me giving them money, so every now and then, i'll treat them to a night out...which makes them even happier than just ripping 50% outta my pay.
Well...personally, i would hope that my gf will amount to something if i get with them, but life is complicated so things happen, somehow asian parents don't think that way...and hold such prejudice towards any guys that goes near their girl. They tend to remove guys from the crowd and start making random questions...seesh!
Yeah, it's weird hearing from an asian that "asian parents are freaken weird". but i wasn't hating asians, just that their teaching method is a little extreme in my mind.
Union fees...it's just 10 bucks for some...and textbooks is a problem...i think my mum said she was gonna pay for the 400bucks i spent...but meh...doesn't matter...i like being able to afford the things i need..

Orange Juice

so worthless i am
HSC
sip what asian country tho?

i find it wierd my rents didnt really adapt to the australian culture... their old school rents... but i think theyve realised that me and my bro arent really as asian as they thought we were... i mean we were brought up here... i think even if we were in another country they still wouldnt take my bling though...
im starting to think they wouldnt care if i went out with a non asian.... but then again maybe not :p

your inner child... what nation are you? (gotta make sure i didnt offend ya as leftrightour said)

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Thanx leftrightout

I have not the slightest fucking clue why I said HEX. I'm pretty fucked in the head right now. *stops swearing*

I've actually moved out before. The only thing that seemed to bother me was my unemployment at THAT time, my guilt for leaving and the ongoing calls my parents gave me like "you have disappointed us, you have broken our family, our tradition, you are not a true asian, you're a terrible daughter, and we disown you" kind of stuff. It was traumatic and an it was continous cutting into my emotional stability etc. I dunno why I said cutting, but it seemed the appropriate word.

They took me back under conditions that were grudgingly promised by both parties. I get to have a boyfriend, I get to go to the formal in year 12, I get to choose WHAT UNI and WHAT COURSE i want, and I get to go out. I promised to take over chores entirely - dogs, dishwashing, washing clothes, just a whole bunch of chores which seemed reasonable you know? Do your chores first before you go out, that sounds about right.

Things tightened up. They became slowly and gradually ridiculous eg: telling me I could only go out for three hours if it was a movie. No lord of the rings type films here, and travelling gets tight. They snob my boyfriend, who researches my culture, and what COULD be my culture, and every time he comes by just to talk to me, he brings a pricey present for my parents, who not only disregard the present and end up putting it aside in storage, but disregard him when he says "hi" etc. They find the FORMAL as totally ridiculous, and they pulled me away at graduation night after I got my certificate, and they blast at me if i'm a few minutes late from their ridiculous curfew. I know some have it much worse than me

For a while I needed to fight for my love for music etc so I can pursue it at the conservatorium of music. But that's slowly dying down because I have fought for this as my first priority this year. (And rightly so, don't you think?)

They also consider me as the bad kid, and I say this because I overheard my parents saying to my little brother that "your sister is only doing music because she knows she wont get 90. She's not intelligent, you need to make us proud."

Which cut. I've written somewhere in this forum before, and I know it sounds sad but I tell it to people, because I genuinely don't know what to do. I get immense pressure from people to move out, and I don't want to go through that shit experience again when they call me up, or my consistant guilt etc. I'm really lost and I don't know what the fuck to do.

SipSip

HSC
N/A
Let me guess, they want you to do Law at some uni like Syd or UNSW?? become rich so they could show off to their friends? Wow! that is very very selfish of them...

Anyway, yeah, my parents use to be like that, but they gave up on being strict after yr 10...when i was really down and my marks were diving...then during yr11 and 12, every picked up...i know they love me so getting a high uai is one of the things i can make them happy with...
Besides being a good "role model" type kid...the only worry they have with me is my speeding habit which tore a cut on the top of my head once :D

Parents generally promise anything and won't do it...you gotta deal with that...all parents do it...and when you get a job, if they borrowed money from you, consider that gone as well ^^

Orange juice (god! i want something sweet to drink now)...i'm honkie (hong kong)...thinking about my relatives who lives in hk unlike me...my parents are complete opposites to theirs...who act more like inner childs parents, their kids are all in their 20s and sad to say, aren't very happy...

Orange Juice

so worthless i am
HSC
SipSip said:
Let me guess, they want you to do Law at some uni like Syd or UNSW?? become rich so they could show off to their friends? Wow! that is very very selfish of them...

Anyway, yeah, my parents use to be like that, but they gave up on being strict after yr 10...when i was really down and my marks were diving...then during yr11 and 12, every picked up...i know they love me so getting a high uai is one of the things i can make them happy with...
Besides being a good "role model" type kid...the only worry they have with me is my speeding habit which tore a cut on the top of my head once :D

Parents generally promise anything and won't do it...you gotta deal with that...all parents do it...and when you get a job, if they borrowed money from you, consider that gone as well ^^

Orange juice (god! i want something sweet to drink now)...i'm honkie (hong kong)...thinking about my relatives who lives in hk unlike me...my parents are complete opposites to theirs...who act more like inner childs parents, their kids are all in their 20s and sad to say, aren't very happy...
hahah law/med is so stereotypical asian parents wanting their kids to do...
woah honkie! its wierd it seems like its only your rents in the whole family who are leniet (sp?) to their kids... have your rents adopted the aussie culture?

Orange Juice

so worthless i am
HSC
natstar said:
I live on $200 a week and I dont even live with my parents. $100 for rent and $100 for food, travel, entertainment etc. Its not much but I get by
i dont know how you do it... does it cost you like 100 bucks for food?

SipSip

HSC
N/A
Orange Juice said:
hahah law/med is so stereotypical asian parents wanting their kids to do...
woah honkie! its wierd it seems like its only your rents in the whole family who are leniet (sp?) to their kids... have your rents adopted the aussie culture?
Yes, my parents has adopted the aussie culture quite well in that they still could influence me to work hard, cause i want to too..but also they give me the freedom to actually enjoy myself...
I know other honkie parents are ultra tight on their kids...don't see the point why...it just leads to rebellious behaviour...

OZGIRL86

stuck in a moment
HSC
N/A
I think thats pretty unfair, my mums the oppisite when i wanna give her money for something she dosnt take it

Orange Juice

so worthless i am
HSC
relax guys... i dont want no trouble...
i dont think id ever be able to live on 100 bucks a week... but thats just me...

its wierd, my parents havnt really adapted to it... yet...
so their still fairly asian... but i mean ive kinda adapted to be asian asian...but their kinda in the process of changing...

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
natstar said:
$100 a week for food. For one person.. nahh. I spend about $35 on food a week. May not sound heaps but I dont eat that much, and it gets me 7 lunches and 5 dinners (cuz i go to my bf's on the weekend) and i dont eat breakfast, and it gets me snacks and drink too.
I pay $10 a week for petrol. I dont go out every weekend becasue of my uni work
in a situation like that, does it ever worry you that maybe one week your job will decide to put you on for less hours? or maybe they won't put you on the roster at all? what would you do in a situation like that, it always puzzles me. every $10 and every hour of work counts.

ur_inner_child
you must be feeling so much pressure. they have restrained your freedom so much. how is it that they could even consider not allowing you to do the course you want, or go to the uni you want to. i don't know what i would do in your situation, it seems so exteme but i can see you don't want to make it worse. leaving will just make it worse and it's hard to live when you're not on good terms with your closest family members.

Generator

HSC
N/A
natstar is living on campus and is receiving youth allowance.

Last edited:

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
natstar said:
Yeah as Generator said. Im getting YA.
Anyway next year when uni starts back up again, im gonna look for another job. I had a job this semester but it was only 1 day a week, getting an extra $50, which was ok, but i'd like more.
oh k, it's puzzled me before because i see people living on their own not getting called to work regularly. maybe they are on YA as well. i suppose if they weren't they would have to ask their parents for regular money.

!! CaR`JiE !!

cäяяoт ^^'
HSC
ur_inner_child said:
I am about to have an interview at some modelling & acting agency (no I'm just the admin) for $20K AT LEAST, full time, 8hrs, 5 days a week.

My mum says I split half the earnings to her, cuz she's family. Working it out... that's $4.81 PER HOUR I WORK!?!?

does that sound UNREASONABLE to you!??!
YES, VERY! :mad: :uhhuh: :mad: :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)