4 Girls Only (1 Viewer)

anita_wax

tehnaz
HSC
Argonaut said:
My sister was going to use that until she found out what it means. She now goes by "Semhirage".
that is the funniest thing ive heard all day

hipPo3

HSC
almost a week old thread .. w0o0o

LexxY said:
ROFL! Well people think im male anyways.. rofl :p its just usually when I speak on mic cos I cbf typing: MOVE U FKN BLOCKER or something :p
yesterday when i was playin source .. this 14 yrold kid joins the server and instantly spam talks .. then this 13 yrold chick comes in and he starts flirting with her

everyone was like wtf ?!?!? .. lol, it was soo funny cause the kid thought he had a chance, he asked her phone number and asked what her name was

normally when theres a chick playing counterstrike, it boosts the moral of male gamers, everyone wants to impress :D

anita_wax

tehnaz
HSC
hipPo3 said:
almost a week old thread .. w0o0o

yesterday when i was playin source .. this 14 yrold kid joins the server and instantly spam talks .. then this 13 yrold chick comes in and he starts flirting with her

everyone was like wtf ?!?!? .. lol, it was soo funny cause the kid thought he had a chance, he asked her phone number and asked what her name was

normally when theres a chick playing counterstrike, it boosts the moral of male gamers, everyone wants to impress :D
haha ive had that before in aok. its kind of like...umm no. the fun part was i took his number and then continued to prank him for a flat hour, hanging up just before he picked up. one of the times i let it ring longer and he picked it up and was like "hahaha! whoevers doing this i picked it up im so fast!"

malkin86

HSC
And there are a few girls out there who do occasionally play games, but wouldn't call themselves a gamer, as such. They may do some hobby programming, but that's about it.

Götterfunken

HSC
Females gaming? Is nothing sacred?

I don't seriously see the need for a big hubbub; there is also a significant amount of people over 60 who game as well. Do they get their own thread?

malkin86

HSC
If people over 60 decide to frequent BoS, then I don't see why not. ;)

Spikeru

St. Mère Église church tower, danglin....
HSC
My NBT unit has about 10% female gamers. Because the unit is made up of people in their 20's, 30's and 40's maturity tends to cut in and prevent anyone being a dickhead or a showoff. Don't see many cases of the "OMFG!!!! Lolz u is a grl. BF? watc meh NOOBZ SNIPERZ ROFL!!!" you get in CS.

And as for maturity, my fellow clanners are pirates, and are therefore we turn up drunk for every drop we make. If WE can somehow treat female gamers with respect surely sober people can?

HSC
I'm really not convinced that the distribution here is as skewed as we're led to believe. I think it's more likely that the number of female gamers is vastly understated because as soon as someone admits to being female there's a nerd wank-frenzy and it just makes humanity look bad in general.

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
I think a combination of many games not really appealing to girls' sensibilities (although there are more now than say five years ago), a general machismo attitude of male gamers (I pwn you, j00 are noob, etc) which is offputting for females, and an elitist attitude in many online communities contributes to low numbers of female gamers.

For guys I think playing games together at a LAN cafe is like fishing - it's a form of male bonding that many girls do not understand. Just like girls shopping is something that many guys don't understand. We approach things differently, including gaming.

Girls generally get left out of the 'lets play games' loop in their youth too (just a product of our culture) which, I think, is another reason that they never really pick up the gaming thing. How many girls do you know who went down to the corner store to play King of Fighters? (ahh.. the memories..) I think this is different in countries in which gaming has less of a stigma, eg. Korea :)

LexxY

s2 Ralf. Marry me!
HSC
I think it really depends on the time when they got into gaming. At the momment I would see new 'girl gamers' as slowing ( but yes still growing ) because as there is many more internet multiplayer games, it still does seem intimidating for girls cos as some1 said, 'getting left out of the loop'. But before, when it was less internet orientated, and more just single player ( like me, started playing like back in 1994/1995?.. yeah sometime then.. n stuff with doom and wolfenstein stuff ). Already into games, internet multiplayer just came naturally.

But it totally depends on the individual, whether they are prepared to cop slack or maybe feel excluded (tho there is no need). There are still dickheads out there who probably dont realise that there is a large community out there. Which I should plug two websites here:

www.ladygamers.com and www.owndedbygirls.com <-- I think that's right >.<

I know about 20-30 female gamers in one game ( cs ) alone, and they are just the ones that idle mirc n stuff. There is no denying that female gamers are some what of a minority, but the majority of guys aren't really that bad when it comes to girls getting into games. It's definately the few arse holes that put girls off, cos we are there just to have fun too, and believe me, it's no fun coping 30 minutes of slack because your a girl.

Anyways, I just woke up, and that's my little rant if you could understand that :p

malkin86

HSC
PaleReflection said:
That made me LOL big time.

I reckon all this bitching about the lack of female-oriented games is pointless. If girls want to game, they should, and not let any preconcieved notion of female inferiority when it comes to gaming ability get in the way.
Another thing is, most female game avatars are designed to be eyecandy, or 'hypersexualised' - Chun-li, for example, wears stockings, (into battle?!?!) and has yellow swirls on her top that clearly point out where her chest is. When I was younger, I would rather play as Android 18 in DBZ than Chun-li, because 18 is female, yet not eyecandy-ish. (http://www.dbzsc.com/images/gamereviews/snes-game2-3.jpg 18 on the right)

Some female gamers would rather play as a female, yet not wearing chainmail bikinis (ouch!) or the like. It can be fun to play as an eyecandy avatar sometimes, but not all the time. Someone cool, a bit more like 'She can kick arse and not have to distract them with her undies to do so!' would work better, I think.

HSC
malkin86 said:
Another thing is, most female game avatars are designed to be eyecandy, or 'hypersexualised' - Chun-li, for example, wears stockings, (into battle?!?!) and has yellow swirls on her top that clearly point out where her chest is. When I was younger, I would rather play as Android 18 in DBZ than Chun-li, because 18 is female, yet not eyecandy-ish. (http://www.dbzsc.com/images/gamereviews/snes-game2-3.jpg 18 on the right)

Some female gamers would rather play as a female, yet not wearing chainmail bikinis (ouch!) or the like. It can be fun to play as an eyecandy avatar sometimes, but not all the time. Someone cool, a bit more like 'She can kick arse and not have to distract them with her undies to do so!' would work better, I think.
I'm not sure if Chun-li is really indicative of contemporary female gaming. If you're after moderate female lead characters who aren't objectified, there's always games like Beyond Good and Evil, The Longest Journey, Syberia (1 and 2), and loads more (These are just the ones that spring to mind which I've played recently). I'd suggest that perhaps the fighting genre is not where you're going to find the most enlightened, gender-neutral games.

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
Even WoW is a male-centric game and it's a MMO with a large female playerbase. (I use it as an example because I know it best out of all of them). There are many females who get offended by:

* female elf characters who 'bounce'
* a pet called a 'succubus' wearing skimpy clothes, cracking a whip and slapping her butt (even for female versions of the class)
* some very dodgy pickup lines as jokes
etc etc

its not that blizzard intended it to be only for guys, but that these sorts of things appeal to guys more than they do for girls, and they are an integral part of the character. It's not just part of the environment.

I do think, however, that there are more female videogame characters who provide more than eye candy (lara croft aside). Jill ftw :p

HSC
Argonaut said:
Of course they're designed for men to look at - take Tomb Raider III for example: who the hell wears that getup in Antarctica?!
Someone looking to disguise the distinct lack of worthwhile gameplay going on, so that at least someone buys the game, even if it is just 13 year old kids with too much spare [strikeout]penis[/strikeout] time on their hands.

malkin86

HSC
Chun-li was the first, or one of the first, and she is iconic. That was why I mentioned her - everyone knows what she looks like, and most have played an incarnation of SF. Are those games you mentioned any good? I've never heard of them, and my brother, who games more seriously than I do, doesn't own them, but has heard of them vaguely. Why shouldn't the fighting genre be any good for having decent female characters?

Anti, are there any 'incubi' in WoW? ;) I don't get what you mean by "they are an integral part of the character. It's not just part of the environment." the character of what? the game? I'd say that was a product of the environment of the design - probably all male. And who's "Jill"? Jill of the Jungle?

Funny you should mention Lara - she's just recently had a "reduction operation". ;) http://www.theage.com.au/news/TV--Radio/Storm-in-a-Dcup/2005/05/21/1116533572510.html

HSC
malkin86 said:
Chun-li was the first, or one of the first, and she is iconic. That was why I mentioned her - everyone knows what she looks like, and most have played an incarnation of SF.
I see your point about Chun-li, just I thought some perspective was useful. Being created so long ago, there's no doubt that overall opinions have changed to an extent (Despite the fact that you still see games like Dead or Alive, etc, which clearly haven't come too far in regard to not casting female characters in that light). More a throwaway comment than anything though, I guess I'm just saying that despite certain companies and games displaying women like that, there *are* fairly mainstream games around which are much more moderate (Moreso now than previously).
malkin86 said:
Are those games you mentioned any good? I've never heard of them, and my brother, who games more seriously than I do, doesn't own them, but has heard of them vaguely.
Beyond Good and Evil is a game I'd have no trouble rating among my top 10 favourite games of all time, it's got a fantastic plot and just oozes style. It's perhaps marginally infantile compared to the other games I've listed, and games in general, but I love it anyway. I've provided links for some reviews, I've skipped over the gamespot one because I disagree wholeheartedly with them (They gave it an 8.3, which is reasonable, but not all that close to how I'd rate it) :)

http://www.justadventure.com/reviews/BeyondGoodEvil/BeyondGoodEvil.shtm
http://www.avault.com/reviews/review_temp.asp?game=beyondge&page=3

The others may or may not be of interest depending on how into Adventure gaming you are. They're fairly widely respected titles within that genre, though that genre happens to be somewhere towards the bottom of the gaming heap these days (Which I think is a huge shame). All games with great storylines and progression to get you involved, but I guess it depends on why you play in the first place. If you're after instant gratification and minimal thinking then they may not be your cup of tea. The www.justadventure.com site linked above should have reviews on all the others I mentioned if you're interested in checking any of them out :)
malkin86 said:
Why shouldn't the fighting genre be any good for having decent female characters?
I just mean that I'm not sure that anyone making fighting games is really thinking of ways to get girls into fighting games by creating moderate female characters. Generally speaking, I think this genre specifically is geared fairly heavily at the young teen male audience, and I'd think in a lot of cases they simple decide that it's far easier to increase the size of a character's breasts or remove some clothing in order to make another horde of teen guys buy it than it is to add a female character and try to get female gamers in that way.

Of course that doesn't mean that I don't think girls can enjoy fighting games (I know many who do), or that they shouldn't be catered for, but I just don't think that's often the way it goes.

Edit: Holy crap that's quite a long response, sorry :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)