4 Interests (Potential Majors) in 2 degrees? (1 Viewer)

LightOfTheSeven

HSC
Currently doing a B.A

So, my goal for this year is to transfer into the concurrent degree of Bachelor Of Arts / Bachelor Of International Studies (not the same as IR!). I'd need a GPA requirement and some signatures. But my crisis on the previous thread is continuing and expanding. There is some potential in politics, especially at Macquarie. I don't like the core units, but there are some really interesting subjects and choices esp about The Middle East, Religion, War, Political Violence. Plus, a politics major could potentially develop my arguing and debating skills, give me strong knowledge and fountain, and on the subject of skills: teach me how to assess and solve problems.

Modern History, right now is also my qualifying major. I love history, and I firmly believe Macquarie runs a good program (although 100 level units could have more variation) for both Ancient and Modern history.

So my goal is B.A (major in Politics and Modern History).

Now onto International Studies (which I'll hopefully get into!)- which requires a language stream. I love German, and have had some experience learning it. Germany also has a rich, complex history. It's a relevant language.

There's also Russian, and I'm taking 2 RSN studies units this semester. I won't bore you all with my reasons for wanting to learn Russian, but there are many. Note with German and Russian- I can't simply learn them by 'immersion' or any other free ways. I need a professional to teach me the correct grammar and pronounciation.

My problem is that I feel I'll have to pick between German and Russian. If I can do both (they are 18cp each), it'd look something like this

B.Arts (Modern History + Politics) & B.International Studies (German + Russian)

If I can only pick one in the language stream, it'd probably be Russian. So I'd take German up a Dip. Of Languages.

B.Arts (Modern History + Politics) & B.International Studies (Russian) & Diploma Of Languages in German.

But I'm not sure if I even can do that, because International Studies / Arts is already considered a 'concurrent degree' and adding a second language may seem weird to the people who decide who gets into the Diploma. Simply put, there is no room in the B.A to do two languages.

I understand that this will take time (4-5 years). That isn't ideal, but it doesn't have to be bad. I can use that time to do winter internships, get involved in co cirricular, take advantage of Macquarie's current student opportunities, speed up my degree with subjects offered in Session Three. So by the time I graduate, I will have a really impressive list of skills to put on a resume.

So, my questions are:

1. Is my proposed concurrent combination (Bachelor Of Arts with a Bachelor Of International Studies) okay? It's what I'm fascinated in, but I don't know if people in those faculties would be cool me taking on that concurrent combination.

2. Can any undergraduate in a dual or concurrent degree take on the diploma of languages? Even if they can do languages in Arts or Bachelor Of International Studies, but they wish to do more? I know some universities will only admit students into the diploma if there is absolutely no way they can do languages in their study

3. Can you request more elective units to your study plan? So no matter what happens with unit availability, or course structure I can always be a full time student.

4. I feel that four fields would be good in some regards, but I know it's alot. I'd only start the diploma until I fufilled the 18cp language requirement (which I am set to have completed at least 9cp at the end of the year, then I'll do 6cp next year, then 3cp in my third year). So during my time at Macquarie, there are five things I'd have to juggle

-Politics
-Modern History
-International Studies core
-German
-Russian

What should I cut, if its too much?

I babbled on, its just I really want to have a good time at univeristy and actually learn something. MQ has a very good reputation for languages, and I wish to take advantage of that!

HSC
N/A
Not sure I understand all your dilemmas here but re Q3 - Yes, you can do as many units as you want if you qualify for the pre-req requirements. However !!!..... I have been told (unofficially) that if you do MORE units (i.e. cp) than your degree minimum requirements there is less HECS subsidy for each extra unit. This has always been the case, but only this year and last, MQ will be enforcing this little known loophole, so I was told.
This affects me, for instance, my Bsc Science plan/dreams just involves 1 more unit than i actually need so I may cop a bigger bill on my HECS for that unit only. Interestingly though, if I transfer to Adv Science then suddenly I actually need an extra unit to complete the degree! It's a confusing crazy world.

I think you should do what you love the most, tweak the details as you progress through 1st yr...
Another school councillor cliche - do what you love, never "work" a day... - thats my goal :)

LightOfTheSeven

HSC
Yeah what I said what just confused ramblings. Thank you for attempting to make sense of them :)

I'm sure as I progress through first year, I'll get a clearer picture. For languages, I can always access and pay Sydney Uni's Centre For Continuing Education (which is open to the general public) which would give me good prep for the language tests. I can do them on weekends.

About extra units.... my degree would cost me around $10,000+ a year. I've already used around $10,000 from my HECS (long story). And it is only a handful of units I'd want, so it shouldn't push the limit too much. But if MQ are forcing the rule, then maybe drawing up a study plan would be wise.

First year, lots of questions I've found! Funny you mention school counsillors- should probably get some solid career advice from someone who is used to confused first years, lol. I hope everything goes alright for your B.Science units!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)