4 unit HSC from 1979 (1 Viewer)

PC

HSC
N/A
Came across this exam paper while going through a dusty cardboard box. Some of the questions are no longer in the course, but some are worth having a try. See how you go.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
haha had a skim through it and was like fuck that.

will try some time however.

conics2008

HSC
thats some nasty shittzzz... ugly format discourages me from doing it + too much reading.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
lol, eigenvalues and mean value theorem...that's in first year university level now...

vds700

HSC
Trebla said:
lol, eigenvalues and mean value theorem...that's in first year university level now...
Do u think they've dummed the syllabus down since then? And now with this new one, they're getting rid of some of the really hard topics like circular motion, conics and circle geometry.

Isn't this just lowering the standard of maths compared to other countries?

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
vds700 said:
Do u think they've dummed the syllabus down since then? And now with this new one, they're getting rid of some of the really hard topics like circular motion, conics and circle geometry.

Isn't this just lowering the standard of maths compared to other countries?
yeah they've lowered the standard by heaps because apparently some schools couldn't finish the course by the time it was HSC time...and apparently some schools still cant.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
回复: Re: 4 unit HSC from 1979

we managed to finish the course right on time, because the teacher mainly only teaches us the basics and we're set off to do the work in class.

4u students need tol earn how to think of their own ways of doing it, our teacher only does questions if the whole class is struggling with it.

conics2008

HSC
Re: 回复: Re: 4 unit HSC from 1979

wtf since when did circle geo was hard.. wtf ppl cant finish the 4unit course.??

first time hearing this =]

we finished graphs pratically 1/2 periods.. there is nothing to some chapters..

vds700

HSC

conics2008 said:
wtf since when did circle geo was hard.. wtf ppl cant finish the 4unit course.??

first time hearing this =]

we finished graphs pratically 1/2 periods.. there is nothing to some chapters..
So u reckon circle geo is easy?

And u can basically teach yourself graphs.

My teacher was similar to Tmmy's, just taught us the basics and we had to go away and do the work ourselves.

shaon0

HSC
We don't do eigenvalues and mean value theorem because matrices aren't in the 4unit syllabus anymore.

Poad

HSC
Wow, all you people that are like "my teacher just teaches us the basics, then I do the rest myself"... thats crazy. My teacher went through almost every single type of question for each topic (we even spent like 4 weeks on graphs >_>), and I'm pretty thankful for that.

Oh, and, we finished with plenty of time too. Spent the last couple of weeks doing past papers + revision for harder 3U.

conics2008

HSC

vds700 said:
So u reckon circle geo is easy?

And u can basically teach yourself graphs.

My teacher was similar to Tmmy's, just taught us the basics and we had to go away and do the work ourselves.
yeah com'on graphs those are just common sense, except the asymp other then that i think everybody knows it.

circle geo, just know your methods and your fine..

i agree some circle question are hard, but you can do part i and ii atleast.

duy.le

HSC
ok....that is hands down the hardest paper i have ever seen. i almost cried looking at q6, i was like yes i can do a) then b)...c)...ii)....iii)...WTF

ok that is just ridiculous.

/wrist if that was my exam. <60% for sure

and y was there 10 question, as if 8 isnt enough

Iruka

HSC
N/A
I think 4 unit maths was a two year course back then, so naturally it had more content in it. Most of the unrecognizable stuff in that exam paper (eigen values, MVT, convergence results) are now covered in first year maths at uni.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)