400/500 Law Electives (1 Viewer)

iwannarock

HSC
well i have collected all my articles.

time to sort through which ones are actually useful.

then chillax for a while.

3000 words is so much.

im going for quantity here.

i will regurgitate everything i can from my adversarial vs inquisitorial articles.

then talk about hicks, haneef and then the french response (brigitte case?) to terrorism.

then somehow connect the two together and come to a conclusion.

this is due thursday by 5pm.

yes.......thursday!.....thursday its due thursday!

i can do this. its the first time i ve tried this in 5 years of law. but thursday thursday its due thursday.

:burn:

Tabris

HSC
Good luck, heard it involved european civil law stuff, wow, 1 day 3000 words, a new record ?

iwannarock

HSC
Tabris said:
Good luck, heard it involved european civil law stuff, wow, 1 day 3000 words, a new record ?
well it is due friday (no its not its not its not). but i HAVE To get it done by thursday.

i did abortion essay for health law in something like 8 hours. that was 2900 words in the end.

but thats abortion. you can prattle on for ever and theres endless amounts of articles.

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
hehe oh IWR what ever will we do with you! ;)

It's actually not that hard. I did Australia, too, and talked about Lodhi, Thomas and two other random cases (that I didn't actually read). But just so you know, if you use Thomas, there appears to have been a conspiracy because the transcript has been removed *cue dodgy, scary music*

Now that I've said it's not hard I'll come out with a P :p Oh well. Its our last semester and my second EVER last essay! *dances*

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
MaryJane said:
Oh well. Its our last semester and my second EVER last essay! *dances*
I'm so jealous! I can't wait to utter those words

Oh MJ I was bored in class went online and accessed the 09 handbook (changed the URL to 09) and Trial advocacy is being bumped again! I am so upset the choice of electives are so limited :(

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
No way!! That sucks :( Mac is dropping all the good electives and losing all the good lecturers.

Maybe you should consider doing electives at other unis? Wider variety and the marks don't count to your GPA (which equals a nice, cruisy last year).

(and yes, it is very, very sweet being able to talk about last essays. Your time will come :D )

(and good luck with your interview at BD, I'm sure you'll do great! I wouldn't fret about your marks with all your paralegal experience/extra-curricular activities. Question though, what happened to the Waldron? I'm not quite down with law firm politics).

iwannarock

HSC
i wish this was my last essay.

although it does suck.

i don't wanna go out like this.

only 2750 words to go!

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
MaryJane said:
No way!! That sucks :( Mac is dropping all the good electives and losing all the good lecturers.

Maybe you should consider doing electives at other unis? Wider variety and the marks don't count to your GPA (which equals a nice, cruisy last year).

(and yes, it is very, very sweet being able to talk about last essays. Your time will come :D )

(and good luck with your interview at BD, I'm sure you'll do great! I wouldn't fret about your marks with all your paralegal experience/extra-curricular activities. Question though, what happened to the Waldron? I'm not quite down with law firm politics).
Thanks,

I am thinking about doing a few units at UWS, they have an advocacy unit and advanced crim that I want to do. Someone told me it counts as a pass to your GPA but that doesn't sound right...I thought it doesn't count.

iwannarock

HSC
3005 words.

time to bib this bibliography.

i've done the unpossible. the inthinkable.

for the FIRST time ever......me..........has finished (well in the next 15mins) an assignment more than 24hours before the due date.

now ofcourse in doing this.......the lack of pressure to finish.........knowing i could still have longer.......the quality of my work dropped to dangerously low levels. more dangerous than usual.

bibliography>spell check> grammar check> print>

i hope tim marks mine!!

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
Congrats IWR! You always amaze me with your quick typing abilities. You'll do well in a high-pressure firm one day! I hope Tim marks mine, too!!

melsc you're right, it doesn't count to your GPA at all. It says "satisfactory" (pass - HD) or "unsatisfactory" (F) on your transcript but no mark is recorded. That's why exchange overseas is so popular, because its so cruisy!

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
Yep, totally sure. I have a friend who just came back from being in the US a year and he was talking about how there is no motivation to put any effort in because regardless of whether you get a P or a HD, it just says "satisfactory".

I guess as long as you kill the core units (especially litigation if you want to practise) then you can manipulate your MQ GPA to be as good as you can. But you do have to do a certain number of LAW units at MQ to still qualify as a MQ student. I think doing units at another uni is a great way to keep working hard as a paralegal, whilst 'boosting' your MQ GPA.

iwannarock

HSC
well well well.

the ADR assignment.

i think im taking this for granted.

maybe because its only 700 words. maaaaaaybe because you can use 4 and ONLY 4 of the readings prescribed for the assignment. maybe because it doesnt really require full referencing or a bib.

i might actually get some sleep tonight.

Tabris

HSC
I am currently reviewing my one....theres quite alot in the readings

iwannarock

HSC
Tabris said:
I am currently reviewing my one....theres quite alot in the readings
thanks for the pm.

i've just been reading some examples of op-ed pieces posted in the web links. just to get an idea since i've never written an op ed.

time to read these 12 pages of reading.

iwannarock

HSC
well im done.

i tried to make it opinionated.

but i think it may be a bit of a summary of the articles. with subtle opinions and criticisms here and there.

oh well.

what the hell does paginated mean.

:confused:

iwannarock

HSC
oh o.

i just realized my title is 10 words.

its too bad i handed this in at 9am.

:angry:

and it seems they'll be really anal about the format.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Hey guys I am looking at electives and I have a few questions:

Is advanced torts only offered over the summer?

Any opinions on the units I am thinking of doing:
* Dispute res
*Advanced Torts
* Health Law
*Clinical program/practicing in the public interest
*conflict of laws

Any others that are good?
I'd really like to do trial advocacy but it never seems to run and would love to do jessup but its super competative

maka

HSC
Hey melsc,

I did Labour Law as an elective last semester and I really enjoyed it. That said it is probably one of the areas of law that I would like to practice in, so I had a bit more interest than most people generally would.

The subject is pretty good. We would have a 2hr lecture/seminar which was compulsory and an optional 2 hr seminar.

No textbooks.... just two readers that Frank puts together. Readings are about 30-40 pages per week, basically on cases and important articles.

We had a 90% sit down exam and a 10% class mark. Nearly everyone got a credit, so it is a safe subject GPA wise.

The topics essentially have a few elements:
(1) The historic/jurisprudential aspects of labour law
(2) The technical "cas law"aspects of labour law (dismissal, termination etc)
(3) The statutory aspects of labour law
(4) How the laws affect sectors of society.

Frank is a very good teacher. He expects a lot of independent thinking and the like. He will be taking Business Organisations next year I think.

I would recommend doing this subject if you have a remote interest in Labour Law.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)