4u eng (1 Viewer)

tom-spin

HSC
For those of you who have/ are doing extension 2 english, how much time did/ have you spent on your major work and what advice or comments can you give to those who may be considering taking it up?

Those who have done short stories, how much time did you spend on it throughout the year?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I spent... a very good proportion of my time in my major work. If you want to do it, prepare for a good proportion of work - not tons, but enough that you'll sometimes feel you should be doing something else and studying another subject. So you have to be pretty organised to do it, and you have to have a bit of time on your hands to read the books and write and edit your work.

Overall, I did around ten drafts of my major work, and two drafts of my reflection statement.

These things are very hard to quantify as we don't really measure the time we spend on it. However I spent a lot of my time reading the books that were an inspiration to me, and there were about five or six of those. I didn't really do much interviewing and the like - 99% of my research on my story was reading books in and around the genre.

However, if you are considering taking it up - I encourage it. Your Adv. and EX1 marks don't count at all because EX2 is a completely different subject. It's free rein. Write about anything and everything you want. It was by far my favourite subject in the HSC.

tom-spin

HSC
I spent... a very good proportion of my time in my major work. If you want to do it, prepare for a good proportion of work - not tons, but enough that you'll sometimes feel you should be doing something else and studying another subject. So you have to be pretty organised to do it, and you have to have a bit of time on your hands to read the books and write and edit your work.

Overall, I did around ten drafts of my major work, and two drafts of my reflection statement.

These things are very hard to quantify as we don't really measure the time we spend on it. However I spent a lot of my time reading the books that were an inspiration to me, and there were about five or six of those. I didn't really do much interviewing and the like - 99% of my research on my story was reading books in and around the genre.

However, if you are considering taking it up - I encourage it. Your Adv. and EX1 marks don't count at all because EX2 is a completely different subject. It's free rein. Write about anything and everything you want. It was by far my favourite subject in the HSC.
how would they take your marks into account in terms for english if i picked up ext2
say if i did really well in ext2 but not so well in ext1?

tom-spin

HSC

how would they take your marks into account in terms for english if i picked up ext2

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
1. They [the school] shouldn't take into account your English marks if you want to take on EX2 unless you're doing quite badly in EX1 and/or Advanced and they think spending time on an extra subject will be detrimental to your study time for the others.

2. If you mean via ATAR calculation-wise, they'll get your best 2 units of English and if the other 2 units of English you take are good enough, they'll also count. So for example, your Adv. English mark is awesome to they'll count that as your 'best 2 units of English', but after looking at your other subjects - you find that the scaled mark for EX1 and EX2 is in your next best 8 units, so it'll count as well. Then, all four units of English will count.

Is that what you were asking?

tom-spin

HSC
1. They [the school] shouldn't take into account your English marks if you want to take on EX2 unless you're doing quite badly in EX1 and/or Advanced and they think spending time on an extra subject will be detrimental to your study time for the others.

2. If you mean via ATAR calculation-wise, they'll get your best 2 units of English and if the other 2 units of English you take are good enough, they'll also count. So for example, your Adv. English mark is awesome to they'll count that as your 'best 2 units of English', but after looking at your other subjects - you find that the scaled mark for EX1 and EX2 is in your next best 8 units, so it'll count as well. Then, all four units of English will count.

Is that what you were asking?
oh! yes thanks very much!
how difficult is it to achieve a mark of band 6 or equivalent (E4) in extension 2 english? (short story)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
oh! yes thanks very much!
how difficult is it to achieve a mark of band 6 or equivalent (E4) in extension 2 english? (short story)
I don't know how difficult it is - but I got a Band E4 in Extension 2 English.

I can say that if you put in the work to refining your short story (and record the gist of it via the Reflection Statement and Journal) and you have a good and well-written short story, you'll get a Band E4.

tom-spin

HSC
Shadowdude which major work did you choose to do? story? essay? poem?

Do you mind sending me a copy of your completed work without the reflection so I can have a glimpse of the quality they're looking for?

Thanks.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Shadowdude which major work did you choose to do? story? essay? poem?

Do you mind sending me a copy of your completed work without the reflection so I can have a glimpse of the quality they're looking for?

Thanks.
I did a short story.

And uhh, yeah my story is already posted somewhere here on the website. Just go look for it.

fakermaker

HSC
Make sure you document EVERYTHING!

I kept track of all my sources and work throughout the year, however other members of the class did not.

4 weeks to go, I have a full 250 page LARGE exercise book + a full 120 page LARGE exercise book + around 100 pages of another 250 Page LARGE exercise book...another person in my class has around 50 pages of one of those small A5 books.

Feels good man :D

aheyhey

HSC
I just finished my major work and made a bunch of mistakes. I think my advice to you would be: (If you don’t want to read the block of text, skim to bottom line which is a summation of what I’m getting at.)

Start writing a story. Run along with it. If you can’t write one, don’t wait around for your muse or you might end up on your deathbed before that happens. My favourite author, Neil Gaiman says that if you’re stuck, put it aside and return to it later. He himself has left the beginnings of stories for over a year before he knows how to continue it. Time’s not a luxury in your case. Do some exercises like describing what you see, hear, smell etc. Plough through some good fodder you’ve written through before. Talk a walk, people watch. Carry a journal with you.

After you’ve got your story, discern a theme from it and develop it into something even better. Be spontaneous. Write about something you're truly interested in. Don’t pay any attention to whether it's “deep” enough, if it's postmodern or not, original or not. Just something you're interested in. My teacher casually told our class something along the lines, "Oh, the markers like postmodern twists. So if you do something postmodern that’d be great." I’m not blaming anyone but I think that might’ve been a factor in pressuring the ambitious me into a certain mindset. The whole year I was thinking, "Got to write something postmodern. Got to write something Postmodern" like a mantra. It was terrible.

I’ll even go so far as recommending you not to read the stories in the Young Writer’s Showcase. At least, not until you’ve got your story down. Reading over their reflection statements can help structure your own though. But that’s not until later.

I swear the biggest mistake I ever did was research first, story later. I swear. When I was "researching" I was actually putting off the crucial bit: writing. I googled every interesting thing that popped up in my “research” and before I knew it, half the year was gone. Sure I researched, plenty of it, but I had no structure to my investigation. Because of my “research” the story (I ended up rejecting) tried to comment on everything and anything in attempt to be something impressive. Research is important, but don't lose yourself.

I realised too late I didn't have time to be deep and meaningful and I wrote the cursed thing during my trials. I still have some physical scars from the stress (you don't know how many pimples sprouted over my face).

Have a clear focus on your message/theme from the outset. I was one of the few who left it around 2 weeks before it was due. Not that I was bludging. I had an idea, kept on working it and re-working it but I didn't have a plot, neither did I have focus. Some recommend that you should finish your story 3 weeks before the due date. Earlier is even better. Some people in my class finished their major in term 1. Not only did this leave them plenty of time for drafts and further developments but they could have breathing room to devote time to other subjects.

The night before the official date (which is by the way, AUG 19th) I was editing my Reflection Statement (RS) instead of my major work. Looking over it now, I found plenty of mistakes I could’ve avoided if I finished much much earlier. When your RS is better than your major work, something is definitely wrong.

So please don’t repeat history if you do decide to take up EE2. It’s definitely fun and rewarding but only if you go about it in the right way. Don’t end up writing a story you regret. That’s just the worst thing I think. Knowing you could’ve done so much better but didn’t.

So all in all:

Write to express, not to impress.

NB: Apologies, I think I wrote a mini essay.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)