4U Math and 4U English - 95+ Atar? (1 Viewer)

dateofbirth

HSC
Hello, I am currently in Year 12 and graduating next year. this term I picked up Ext 2 Maths and Ext 2 English. for Year 11 I was ranking 1st for Adv and Ext English and in the top 5 for Adv and Ext Math in a top 70 school, and my applications to pick up both were approved. Currently the workload is not that bad (I learned complex numbers and Proofs in term 3 from self-study), I am doing 12 units, but my friends have been telling me the workload will be too much later in the year and told me to drop either ext 2 maths or english. Will it be possible to deal with this heavy workload (if anyone has experience) and get a 95+ atar? does anyone Have any tips to handle both?

dunnoyeah

HSC
What are your other subjects? If it's something like Phys and Chem it might get overwhelming.

The thing with Ext 2 English is, you do end up spending a whole heap of time on your MW. It's a 1-unit subject with essentially a 2-unit workload. Constant drafting, redrafting, chatting with teachers and mentors, etc. The only person in my cohort who did both dropped after a term. If you feel passionate about your major work idea, it will probably sustain you when the going gets tough (ie. writer's block, teacher not being satisfied with your draft, etc.) Otherwise, you may end up getting burnt out very easily, much more easily than with Ext 2 Maths because the course isn't as straightforward.

Judging by your record with English, you could put in 50% effort and get a Band 6, but then there are easier ways to get a Band 6.

Tldr: stick with both if you're very passionate about doing an Ext 2 English major work. Otherwise, I'd consider dropping.

HSC
Uni Grad
Hello, I am currently in Year 12 and graduating next year. this term I picked up Ext 2 Maths and Ext 2 English. for Year 11 I was ranking 1st for Adv and Ext English and in the top 5 for Adv and Ext Math in a top 70 school, and my applications to pick up both were approved. Currently the workload is not that bad (I learned complex numbers and Proofs in term 3 from self-study), I am doing 12 units, but my friends have been telling me the workload will be too much later in the year and told me to drop either ext 2 maths or english. Will it be possible to deal with this heavy workload (if anyone has experience) and get a 95+ atar? does anyone Have any tips to handle both?
If you are able to handle the workload, particularly with your other subjects and the major work it should be fine. In that case, especially with your ranks you should be on track for a good ATAR if you keep that effort and time managing skills up. In fact, I have heard from people I know who went to Baulkham Hills High that the only student to get 99.95 at the school last year did Ext 2 English and Ext 2 Maths.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)