4u Mathematics Marathon V 1.0 (1 Viewer)

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Damn that inducton's alot of work. Care to finish off the rest of the question vafa? :p

vafa

HSC
N/A
If I had to do it for myself, it would take me about 5 minutes but because i was going to make everyone understand what i have done, then I did it in a simple way to make everyone understand the depth of the treatment. I do not know about yu but i never skip a question.

vafa

HSC
N/A
Riviet said:
Damn that inducton's alot of work. Care to finish off the rest of the question vafa? :p
Yes, I would like to finish it and I am going to do it tommorrrow. If my mum finds out that I am still doing maths and not english, then I will be dead.

but I guess part b and c would be simpler to understand than the first part.

zeek

HSC
onebytwo said:
i got a different answer.....1/(26!)2
i'm not sure why you used 1/(26!)2 :confused: im guessing you said that we should sort the lower case letters and then the upper case letters, right?
I said 52! because i considered each letter as an individual in one whole set rather than labelling them upper or lower case and then sorted them out :confused:

damn probability!:(

onebytwo

Recession '08
HSC
for the probability question, for all the possible arrangments of the lower case letters there are 26! and 26! for the upper case letters (so all together there are (26!)2 ways)- for the letters to be in alphabetical order, there is only one way, so its 1/(26!)2

onebytwo

Recession '08
HSC
another question...
i found this challenging question in 3u cambridge in the extension section
find the equations of the four circles that are tangents to the line x+y-2=0 and the coordicate axes.

Yip

HSC
find the equations of the four circles that are tangents to the line x+y-2=0 and the coordicate axes.
Equation of circle, to be tangent to coordinate axis is in the form (x+-a)^2+(y+-a)^2=a^2
Additionally, it must be tangent to the line y=-x+2, i.e upon solving simultaneously with the circle, u must have a discriminant of 0.
(Alternatively u can also use 2 applications of perpendicular distance formula, considering 2 separate cases for each application to get ur 4 points, which is faster in retrospect, reasoning being that the required point must have perpendicular distance a from the line)

the centers end up being -2+-sqrt2 and 2+-sqrt2, and the radius of each respective circle is equal to the square of its x/ycoordiinate

Last edited:

beentherdunthat

HSC
lol its [a + b]^3

.... i'm so glad i don't have to do mathhh wehooo
i have nightmares from 4unit i done only like 3 or 4 topics and still managed a 90 :confused: god bless scaling

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
beentherdunthat said:
lol its [a + b]^3

.... i'm so glad i don't have to do mathhh wehooo
i have nightmares from 4unit i done only like 3 or 4 topics and still managed a 90 :confused: god bless scaling
Lol you spoiled it looks like ill solve it myself when noone else solves it.
but hey im gonna face some 4u maths style nightmares myself :'(

beentherdunthat

HSC
awwwwwwww no don't worry it's not all that bad. Like complex is good. I don't know what the hell the last chapters were about but there was a whole of strings and forces :S :S ahhhh!:uhoh:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)