4u maths text books: which to buy?? (1 Viewer)

nakata

true, but some solutions in Terry Lee, are very complicated, takes a while for me to understand, and i probably end up making up my own solutions anyway:)

Mathematician

Solutions are always good to have next to you , so you feel like actually studying the book. You may think you have done it right, but whats the point of doing it if u cant check if it is right?

You may have got the right answer , but saw that u took very long most of the time 1 page and like mcdonalds boy said "they show you SHORTCUTS that you may not have seen "

nakata

of course, but sometimes in my case anyway, their shortcuts are very difficult to understand, and if i work a solution out myself, at least i will understand it. But you have a point there. I think the Phoenix past papers books was the most useful for me, cause the solutions there were very good.

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
hey guys,

what do ya reckon about past paper books......... which one did you find useful...... the topic by topic books or just a collection?????

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
Originally posted by freaking_out
don't the administrators have access to those scanners which are like a fax.............i.e they suck in paper one by one??
Hmmm...maybe we should ask an administrator. I don't know. What I do know is, most of them are on exams at the moment, so I would wait until after then.

until then - direct all your questions at BlackJack. You may find he is a better substitute than worked answers, even. :p :p

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by freaking_out
hey guys,

what do ya reckon about past paper books......... which one did you find useful...... the topic by topic books or just a collection?????
The MANSW book was good (just a collection) ...

nakata

well, i'd say, The Phoenix past papers, topic by topic, is the best and most popular text book for you to practice. Other then that, i would also get Trial papers from different schools, ask your teacher for it, im sure they hav heaps, my teacher gave me a whole folder filled wif Trial papers from independant, selective, and catholic papers etc. It was really useful.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
if you are only gettin one 4u book, get cambridge [a must get if you school uses catholic trials for maths]

fitzpatrick is not in the same style as hsc

coroneus is difficult (if your doing circular motion, get this book)

excel is the most dodgy book for ext2

patel's other book is alright, but teacher and tutors say there are too many errors

past papers are very useful and another must (besides cambridge)

sillyrat

The best 4U book would be Terry Lee's 'Advanced Mathematics'. This book contains a wide range of problems, which contains both the easy ones and the extremely hard ones that are of 4U level. It also has full worked solutions at the back of the book.
To be fair, all the other books (including Camb. & Fitz) dont have very hard questions.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by sillyrat

To be fair, all the other books (including Camb. & Fitz) dont have very hard questions.
So have you done all the questions from Camb. and Fitz., try doing all the conic questions from Fitz. for example ... or all the complex number questions from Camb. or better still, all the circular motion questions from coroneus

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
So have you done all the questions from Camb. and Fitz., try doing all the conic questions from Fitz. for example ... or all the complex number questions from Camb. or better still, all the circular motion questions from coroneus
i agree with you when it comes to finishing all the cambridge questions for complex numbers... DAMN IT I WANT THOSE WORKED SOLUTIONS FOR CAMBRIDGE BUT I CAN'T GET IT!!!!!!!:chainsaw:

sillyrat

The only 'hard' thing about 4U maths is the 'manipulation' of algebra, which is just the case with conics and complex no. questions. I reckon you might need some logic or common sense with circular motion questions, but that's not a big deal. Anyhow, Terry Lee contains most of the 'hard' type of questions you need for this course.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by sillyrat
The only 'hard' thing about 4U maths is the 'manipulation' of algebra, which is just the case with conics and complex no. questions. I reckon you might need some logic or common sense with circular motion questions, but that's not a big deal. Anyhow, Terry Lee contains most of the 'hard' type of questions you need for this course.
youre half right ... half of the hard stuff is algebraic manipulation ... but i dont believe you that you havent seen conceptually hard stuff in 4u ... especially the harder 3u which you shall later come across

and 4u is difficult or else the mean mark wouldnt be 50% ...

sillyrat

the only thing in 'harder 3u' which is 'conceptually hard' would be perms and combs. As I said, most of the other stuff (of course, except circular geometry, in which u need some inspiration) are just about algebraic manipulation :rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)