4u maths tips (1 Viewer)

Ledepressedrightnow

HSC
Does anyone have tips in regards to 4u maths such as planning, how many hours I should do, how I get better at solving the harder questions?

Also, after starting the course, I have felt as though that I understood the topics but when it came to the questions, I didn't know the time saving short cuts or methods. Is there something I can do to find them? I know that doing questions and asking teachers would help but what if I don't come across all of the different types of questions?

dasfas

HSC
Does anyone have tips in regards to 4u maths such as planning, how many hours I should do, how I get better at solving the harder questions?

Also, after starting the course, I have felt as though that I understood the topics but when it came to the questions, I didn't know the time saving short cuts or methods. Is there something I can do to find them? I know that doing questions and asking teachers would help but what if I don't come across all of the different types of questions?
Just grind more questions, it's as simple as that. Do all the questions in your textbook, then have a look at previous past papers, other textbooks, ask friends for tutoring college material - anything. The more the better.

However, the most important thing is to keep track of the types of questions you encounter and the mistakes you make along the way. I had a huge doc at the end of the year of the small mistakes I made (believe me there were a lot!). I never made the same mistake again.

Learning from your mistakes as you do more questions is how you end up acing maths.

5uckerberg

HSC

With the calculus part of the topic, a few sneaky shortcuts will surely make your life easy. For example with partial fractions instead of listening to the teacher unless the teacher knows it themselves, I suggest the very subtle Heaviside cover-up method. Turns partial fractions into a joke.

With integration by parts, the tabular method on the side can be very helpful when solving questions. Almost sounds like a instant victory card. Reduction formulas when they bring out the factorials from the cheesing method is to work from all the way to the start. This similarly works for like etc. This in summary means to use extremely effective. Lastly, the mastery of the King property is also another overkill technique because you might encounter things like and knowing the King property eases the difficulty because that is a specific version where one of the boundaries is 0.

Experiment with my advice on Calculus during the holidays you will have a load of fun.

Last edited:

Ledepressedrightnow

HSC
Just grind more questions, it's as simple as that. Do all the questions in your textbook, then have a look at previous past papers, other textbooks, ask friends for tutoring college material - anything. The more the better.

However, the most important thing is to keep track of the types of questions you encounter and the mistakes you make along the way. I had a huge doc at the end of the year of the small mistakes I made (believe me there were a lot!). I never made the same mistake again.

Learning from your mistakes as you do more questions is how you end up acing maths.
Do you know how you would get a chapter or two from the Cambridge textbook for homework from school? Would it be good to redo them when you go to revise or should you be focusing more on past papers?

dasfas

HSC
Do you know how you would get a chapter or two from the Cambridge textbook for homework from school? Would it be good to redo them when you go to revise or should you be focusing more on past papers?
Circle questions you struggle with. Re-do them at a later date. But focus predominantly on past papers.

idkkdi

HSC

the methods used in terry lee are generally quite a bit faster, but whether they're legal should be checked with teachers or somewhere else.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)