4u maths (1 Viewer)

Momentazeus

HSC
How does studying for 4u maths work? I heard that you need to also study advanced along with 3u and 4u. Is this true?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes, I believe that you will need to study Mathematics Advanced content concurrently with Mathematics Extension 1 and Mathematics Extension 2 content. The difference lies in the fact that you will not be completing Mathematics Advanced assessment tasks/exams (this includes the HSC exam). Instead you will be required to complete assessment tasks/exams within the Mathematics Extension 1 and Mathematics Extension 2 courses (including the HSC exam for both subjects).

NESA states the following:

Mathematics Advanced consists of the courses Mathematics Advanced Year 11 and Mathematics Advanced Year 12. Students studying one or both Extension courses must study both Mathematics Advanced Year 11 and Mathematics Extension Year 11 courses before undertaking the study of Mathematics Extension 1 Year 12, or both Mathematics Extension 1 Year 12 and Mathematics Extension 2 Year 12.

Additionally, consider this diagram from NESA:

1634189544052.png

I hope this helps! :D

vishnay

God
HSC
How does studying for 4u maths work? I heard that you need to also study advanced along with 3u and 4u. Is this true?
yeah u do but all the finance + stats + probability crap at the end of 2u isn't tested so u don't need to bother studying for that crap

make sure u look at 2u content that can be implicitly tested in 3u and 4u exams like sum of ap and gp etc.

yanujw

HSC
Is it worth explicitly studying for 2u in that case at all? I heard of someone that ranked 1st in ext 1 and ext 2 at a school, then got mid-30s in adv. Do you have to care about your 2u internal rank if you're certain you will do well in 4u?

vishnay

God
HSC
Is it worth explicitly studying for 2u in that case at all? I heard of someone that ranked 1st in ext 1 and ext 2 at a school, then got mid-30s in adv. Do you have to care about your 2u internal rank if you're certain you will do well in 4u?
internally ur school might toss in a 2u topic in a 3u test (stupid imo bc 4u kids are inconvenienced) so if this happens just study for the topic

at my school we're forced to do the first internal assessment just in case we want to drop but if ur doing 4u then u can get last in 2u for god's sake and it wouldnt matter

there are some topics u need to study (the stuff that carries over into 3u or stuff thats needed for 4u e.g. integration, series and sequences etc.) but don't bother with the stats, finance and probability stuff bc thats unnecessary

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)