4UMaths HW (2005HSC) (1 Viewer)

Shelley99

HSC
I am doing 4U maths and I understand everything that we do in class, but then I go home and when I try to do the homework I get stuck. What we've learned in class nevery really seems to fit the homework - Is everyone in the same boat or am I just dumb?

fine ambiguity

almost there
HSC
...uhhuh. If only the bloody questions were consistent. And god forbid if I try and do questions from another text book...

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
I would disagree. I would say most problems on a specific topic are very alike in 4u, mechanics wise. How you approach them, read them at first is what you need to focus on improving, assuming you have the basic mechanics/skills mastered.

Furthermore, I thinking taking notes for maths in class is a load of crap. Maybe it's just me, but I find that listening very hard to the teacher and then ALSO reading the relevant parts of the various textbooks available, as well as reading ahead is a much much better way to approach things.

You never have to worry about missing notes or anything because it is all in the textbook.

After all, what use is it if at the end of the day, you have pages of notes, and you understand the topic no better than when you woke up that morning? I see so many people do that.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
I agree with Slide Rule that taking notes is near pointless for Maths-related subjects. Practising questions is your best bet for understanding the content, not rote-learning formulae etc.

As for getting stuck on h/w, what you learn only provides the foundation for questions you may be asked in the HSC exam. You have to learn the basic skills first, and then it's up to you, your brain and your logic to apply those skills to the real questions...

Sphyx

Asphyxiated
HSC
im the opposite...in class i tend to feel lost, but when i hit the exercises, it all adds up just right.
regarding taking notes in class, i see it the same way as for other subjects, ie you can read the exact same thing in the textbook, but the whole reason for writing it out is that we absorb it better, and the teacher can give you running commentary on it.

Trev

stix
HSC
Sphyx said:
im the opposite...in class i tend to feel lost, but when i hit the exercises, it all adds up just right.
regarding taking notes in class, i see it the same way as for other subjects, ie you can read the exact same thing in the textbook, but the whole reason for writing it out is that we absorb it better, and the teacher can give you running commentary on it.
samo! like, seeing some of the proofs im like wtf ill neva b able to do this, but u do it and its easy (relatively).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)