5.2 Going To Extension (1 Viewer)

Interdice

HSC
I already asked a similar question a few months ago but now I want to ask, have any of you come from 5.2?

Leadmen4y

HSC
not myself but from what I remembered a lot of the 5.2 ppl in my school did 3u in yr 11 and literally all of them dropped

Reactions: 8=D

uniqueusername1

HSC
I already asked a similar question a few months ago but now I want to ask, have any of you come from 5.2?
its ok you can do ext 1

if i could do it with my pea sized brain you can too (i did 5.3 just to be clear)

also the reason why the 5.2 kids drop ext is cause they aren't that motivated/dedicated

i reckon you could do it if your willing to put in the grind (its not really that hard- just an 'extension' of the 2u syllabus). thats the beauty of math or anything you can just get better through practice :)

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
dont worry about the "difficulty", just worry about if you're consistent in your studies. They'll probably start you off with the hardest topic, combinatorics, just to filter out those who don't have serious motivation to pull them through the course. if you are 5.2 and you're working hard trying to catch up with ur 5.3 counterparts, u should be just fine since if you can put that same level of effort through the year, then you're set.

Siwel

HSC
dont worry about the "difficulty", just worry about if you're consistent in your studies. They'll probably start you off with the hardest topic, combinatorics, just to filter out those who don't have serious motivation to pull them through the course. if you are 5.2 and you're working hard trying to catch up with ur 5.3 counterparts, u should be just fine since if you can put that same level of effort through the year, then you're set.
thats so cruel, highly doubt many schools do perms and combs first

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
thats so cruel, highly doubt many schools do perms and combs first
yeah well a couple of my mates schools and mines did it first term. Some of my classmates were crying because they needed ext math for uni but they were overwhelmed, it was good for me since the topics after then were a cakewalk. personally it should be the last topic but its whatevs

Siwel

HSC
yeah well a couple of my mates schools and mines did it first term. Some of my classmates were crying because they needed ext math for uni but they were overwhelmed, it was good for me since the topics after then were a cakewalk. personally it should be the last topic but its whatevs
honestly perms and combs is such a niche topic has like no relevance to the rest of the course and compared to my normal opinion maths can be worked on and refined, i think perms and combs is just a topic you either get it or you dread every second it appears

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
honestly perms and combs is such a niche topic has like no relevance to the rest of the course and compared to my normal opinion maths can be worked on and refined, i think perms and combs is just a topic you either get it or you dread every second it appears
Ye I enjoyed it a lot but my classmates dreaded it. Its fun after you get the hang of it but its hell for anyone who just starts on it, memorable experience for sure.

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
fun is quite subjective, personally prefer calculus but to each their own
HAHA nahh not that type of guy, I'd take calculus any day any time over combinatorics but I'm just saying that after you get it its pretty fun until you don't and then its just the whole grief cycle.

Siwel

HSC
HAHA nahh not that type of guy, I'd take calculus any day any time over combinatorics but I'm just saying that after you get it its pretty fun until you don't and then its just the whole grief cycle.
trying to explain to someone pre-perms and combs the grief about to come and them not realising how much of a pain the topic can be when you just miss options

Interdice

HSC
yeah. I already have been practising at 5.3 content and I am not too bad at it. I will finish it though the holidays. For 5.2 I got a 96 percent with almost no studying so advanced and extension sounds fun

Siwel

HSC
yeah. I already have been practising at 5.3 content and I am not too bad at it. I will finish it though the holidays. For 5.2 I got a 96 percent with almost no studying so advanced and extension sounds fun
majority of ext in yr 12 is calculus based except like 3 topics so if you study calc well and get good at it youll be fine

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
If you can, get a copy of the 5.3 exam from your friends and try it. The gap between 5.2 and 5.3 is noticeable and they cover more important topics that you need to know before going to extension. I can understand why you're going for Ext 1 now since you got 96, it shows you have at least the very very basics. I recommend strengthening your algebraic skills the most throughout the holidays, if you have any flaws in your fundamental concepts then its going to destroy you in exams and make Ext 1 less reasonable.

Like Siwel said, learning calculus early helps a lot but make sure you take your time learning them and not scrape by, really get the hang of it esp. differentiation since it becomes something more assumed and not explicitly told to use (finding maximas, optimisation etc).

Reactions: 8=D

5uckerberg

HSC
I sense a brave soul coming into the forums my thought is this

1. Work very hard on the upcoming content because they will throw the avalanche at you so better be prepared.
2. Create a team of capable Avengers to fend off the incoming extension invasion led by the HSC.
3. Develop a thorough understanding of the content that is taught so that you are able to keep yourself afloat in the deep side of the mathematics swimming pool for high school.
4. If you have the first three continue doing them but also try to guide others without compromising your own mathematical abilities that is teach your fellow students because you offer a very unique perspective in mathematics.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)