5.3 pathway mathematics (1 Viewer)

rach18

HSC
Uni Grad
Okay so I've always been a 5.3 student in maths even though I'm not the best at it (I'm in year 10) and I've been wondering if I should do general maths next year or advanced? I've asked my mathematics teacher and he says I'll be wasting my time doing general.. but I absolutely hate maths and I always tend to either pass exams by 5 or 10% or just fail. I reckon I'm in the top class at the moment because everyone else is my school is quite average or plain dumb.

:/

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
if you hate maths.. maybe not do it at all ? I believe general is a waste of time, despite not having done it anyway

xMaNx

HSC
general is pretty much an extension of 5.3, from what i've seen.

2u and above are more interesting however (i.e. newer things to learn).

HSC
Uni Grad
From what I've seen, (looking at friends textbooks and past papers from both general and mathematics) general is pretty much equal to 5.3.

Though (in my opinion) there is a tremendous gap between the general and mathematics courses.

I would probably recommend no maths being better than general, though that all depends what you wanna do afterwards or if you feel general would be important /beneficial.

EDIT: Or if you need something to take up the units, you could always take it for a year and drop if you aren't performing too well.

Last edited:

rach18

HSC
Uni Grad
Okay thanks, I think I might choose advanced and just see how it goes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)