5 days until first exams, AND I JUST GOT GLANDULAR FEVER!!! help me, what do i do ? (1 Viewer)

dave197

HSC
Re: 5 days until first exams, AND I JUST GOT GLANDULAR FEVER!!! help me, what do i do

thankyou for your advice im trying the throat gargle stuff now.. anything to get rid of this pain..

ShAzABoB

HSC
hehe my brother had the same thing but his was one day before his exams. his medication made him have these really scary rash things all over his face and body... said it was itchy and it looked frightfully disturbing... sorry not trying to scare people but true story.

anywayz, he attended all his exams then lodged an appeal for misadventure and he got his assessment mark for mathematics and got a band 6. but for his other subjects, his exam mark was higher than assessment so didnt get any raise for those.

it lasted two weeks? but he got a lot better near the end of it. hopefully yours isn't so severe. get well soon!

Last edited:

Bendent

HSC
dave197 said:
as the title suggests, I’ve been so unlucky that 5 days before the H.S.C. starts I have got glandular fever, incase you don’t no, its the sorest throat you have ever had, times that by about 10 and you getting close to how I feel...

I was wondering if anyone could please give me some advice on what to do??? If I appeal or something similar what is my situation going to be?? Do I have any chance getting into the uni course I desperately want??? Please help me, anyone’s input is appreciated

:worried:
that means i always get glandular fever then, every single time i have the fever.

once i even got very very bad mouth ulcers plus that.

i know how you feel. the symptoms last for weeks.

i suggest you go see a doctor and prescribe medicine (symptoms). it's better then letting it get worse.

Last edited:

dave197

HSC
Re: 5 days until first exams, AND I JUST GOT GLANDULAR FEVER!!! help me, what do i do

besides pain killers, there is no medicine for glandular fever, antibiotics actually give u a rash, and dont help at all

Sprinkles~

splashing in puddles
HSC

dave197 said:
im getting another check up from another doctor tomorow, getting my blood test results again, wats the difference if i do or dont sit the exams.. if i do and i do extreamly lousy will they just add marks on?? or will the make an educated estimate based on all my other results..
Hey,

Since it's only a short term illness you don't have the option of applying for special consideration to get into uni through the Educational Accesss Scheme. Basically you have two choices.

If you feel up to it you can attempt to sit all/some of your exams. You can then choose to fill out an illness misadventure form along with your doctor. In this case your final HSC mark will either....

a) be made up of both your assessment marks and your exam marks or
b) you will be awarded your assessment mark as your HSC

Whichever is higher. Or you can choose not to sit the exams at all and only fill out the illness/misadventure form. The only difference is that if you do sit them you have the oppotunity to at least see if you can go better.

The actual marks you recieved in school don't count towards anything - it's only your asessment RANK that will be used to calculate your marks (if you came first in a course and got 50% or 100% there would be no difference!). They don't add extra UAI points, that's the EAS which is long term illness etc. So as long as your ranks are ok, there shouldn't be a problem :)

I hope you feel better soon!

HSC

Dave, did you sit for the RET test for UWS by any chance? From what I know (but im not sure) you can still do that exam later on through special provisions if you contact UWS. Also, if you don't get the UAI you need for the course you can do the RET test after the results are out and try for a spot still. Check up on the details though because my memory about it is very vague. The test is basically general skills type and cannot be studied for. You also do an extended response but yeah nothing in which can be studied, just your skills.

GO TO ALL YOUR EXAMS DAVE!!! even if you feel like you're gonna cark it still go because anything on the paper is better than nothing. If you choose not to go to an exam and then later on the BOS say "sorry too bad that exam mark is going to be zero" how disappointed would you be. Scrape up any marks you can mate.
EDIT - just saw the above post and realised you might be better off missing some exams. There is also the risk of it not going in your favour. Also, If it is going to be quite some time till you get better then when you re-sit exams you may still be feeling sick.

I do feel for you but you have to keep strong despite this becasue i'll tell you the BOS don't really care - honestly, they're evil. The only one who can make the most of a very unfortunate circumstance is you, so whenever you feel up to it work on your study instead of beating yourself up over maybe not getting into uni or not receiving extra marks. Do all that is required in terms of special consideration options and once that's done don't stew over it. You can't predict what will happen, you can only work on the here and now so keep your chin up and do what you can.

Best of luck dude.

Last edited:

lala2

Banned
HSC

I agree. I'm only sitting just under a 70 average for last semester (so a Credit), when my HSC average was something like 88-89.

dave197

HSC

couldnt take it any more, wednesday 3am had to go hosptiol, been on the drip, morfeen, forte, penicilin..havent eaten or drank a think in 7 days.. just got released from hospitol today, able to sip tiniest bit of water... should be feeling orite in a few weeks.. yes so thats how i fuked my hsc up.. well not sure yet.. but u can imagine how shit i feel after numerous hours worth of study for thses subjects..

mado954

HSC

Hey ive also got Glandular fever, I got it 4 weeks ago and it has completely killed me for the past month I have managed 11 hours of study the whole hols and I can't stay awake for more than a couple of hours. What u do is get your doctor to write a certificate with blood test results and give them to yor principle or director of studies to attach to a illness/misadventure form. It really sucks and I know exactly how you feel, I really want to get into medicine and now i have to rely on averages for my HSC marks but hopefully it will work out and Im sure it'll work out for you too. Get Better soon and Good luck with it all

dave197

HSC

thanks for the help guys, im foing my best trying to get better now and start filling in those illness/misadventure forms..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)