5 Mins Reading Time... (1 Viewer)

Counterfeit

HSC
What the hell is this time supposed to be used for?? Esp in maths!!

The only time it's ever usefull is english AOS as there is actually something to read.. but all of a sudden they took it up to 10 mins which was just waaaay too long.

All I can manage to do in this time is sit, consumed by my own thoughts and freak out.

Im dreading the 5mins reading time for maths on monday... ew! What am i supposed to do?? If I look ahead at the questions I'll freak. If i don't I'll just be dwelling on what the questions will be, and I'll freak.
shit.
this is a lose lose bloody situation!

Somebody help! What do u use this time for?

For english modules i just spent the time stuffing my face with lollies and asking for more water. This just resulted in my being overly thirsty, needing to pee and being somewhat hyper for the rest of the exam.

So, all you level headed people out there, what do u do during this time?
Im freaking out just thinking about it!
How do u stay calm??

heart

sm:)e
HSC
Maybe use the time to calm down.

I think with the reading time in maths, maybe find what questions look easy so you can do them first.
And don't freak out when you look at the questions, if you find a question hard there's probably heaps of other people who will find it hard as well.

Densuki

eXpress Yourself
HSC
personally
i use the 5mins reading time in maths to check out qtn 10,
and some of the harder ones, in doing so, i can organise my time, if q10 is hard, ill try reduce the time i use on first five qtns, but if this year we're lucky and get an easier one i can spend more time on the others.
for me, its better to see whats ahead, so i can plan this out.

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
That 5 minutes is for you to adjust yourself to the exam conditions. It would be more daunting to immediately begin writing.

I use the reading time to scan through the questions, picking out questions of my weaker topics and focusing on the more difficult and time-consuming sections. It gives me something of a plan on how I will divide my time, and whether or not to attempt a more difficult question first, start from the end, etc.

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
are you allowed to use your calculator during reading time?

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
Jago said:
are you allowed to use your calculator during reading time?
You're not allowed to touch anything but your paper during reading time.

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
how about marking things using your fingernail? :p

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
Jago said:
how about marking things using your fingernail? :p
Hey! That's actually a good idea.

But I don't see the difference between marking it with a fingernail or a pen, so if you get caught, don't say I didn't warn you. :p

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
there's no rule against putting your finger on the page...

^___^
HSC
hahha

alot of uni students i know do that (the finger nail busines)
cos the uni exams are a lot more demanding than hsc

like 8 questions for maths and each one is break down into like another 4 questions

wtfbbq :\

Ace-Of-Spades

HSC
Ultraviolent said:
Use at as a chance to psych everyone out. Refuse to even open your exam, lean back in your chair, and chill.
Lol, class idea! ... make everyone else nervous.
Thats what i did, to a few people before the exam on Monday, they told me that they originally wernt nervous, but me with them was making 'em a bit paniky.

hipPo3

HSC
Dreamerish*~ said:
That 5 minutes is for you to adjust yourself to the exam conditions. It would be more daunting to immediately begin writing.

I use the reading time to scan through the questions, picking out questions of my weaker topics and focusing on the more difficult and time-consuming sections. It gives me something of a plan on how I will divide my time, and whether or not to attempt a more difficult question first, start from the end, etc.
same thing i do ..

5mins reading time helps alot .. it gives u an estimate on what to concentrate on and what parts ur gonna find difficult so u can leave them for last and finish the easier ones of first.

If u dont understand the piont of reading time at this piont in time of High School then u are serisouly useless in life. Teachers tell us what reading times are used for since yr 10 or even earlier .. esp for maths

if poeple cant understand this then theres no piont in learning ... stick with low level skilled labour

It's what I want that's easy. It's getting it that
HSC
The rules say "no Marking" during the reading time which "techically" rules out indenting with fingernails. But one of my teachers recommended simply "pointing with great pressure and a long fingernail" at multiple choice answers, just dont make it suspicious (eg; break out in a sweat)

Ace-Of-Spades

HSC
I use it for what its basically ment to be fore...reading, doesnt really take a genius to figure it out.

HSC
ive been doing that fingernail thing in every exam since the half yearlies.

In the AOS paper i mark techniques in section 1 so i can see exactly where they are wen i go back to it.
I also always do the multiple choice sections in reading time by marking the answers with my fingernail and then wen the exam starts all i have 2 do is colour in the answer sheet.

In the religion exam this was really helpful cos i finished the multiple choice before reading time was even over.... that meant i had HEAPS of time for the rest of the exam.

in a maths exam, however, i dnt know wot would be worthwhile marking with ur fingernail.... i usually use reading time in a maths paper to sort of get comfortable and suss out layout and general questions in the exam.

The best idea in the last 2 minutes of reading time is to look at the questions ur going to start with and figure out wot ur going to do so wen u start the exam u can begin to write straight away.

Personally, though, i think the five minutes reading time is a waste in most papers. For example, in extension english and drama you have five minutes reading time to look at 2 essay questions! it doesnt take five minutes to read a question and suss out wot ur going to do..... normally after i look at my questions i just read wot the other questions are to pass the time.

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
In that time you can plan out the whole structure of your essays in your head.

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
sweetsens said:
in a maths exam, however, i dnt know wot would be worthwhile marking with ur fingernail.... i usually use reading time in a maths paper to sort of get comfortable and suss out layout and general questions in the exam.
In my Maths reading time I nut out questions 9 and 10. Think ways into them, out of them, around them etc.

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
yeah same, always. except for eng obviously, i start reading the unseen texts. for maths and stuff, start reading questions 1 and 2 so i can quickly write answers down as soon as writing time starts and do paper quickly....doing this so i have time at the end to check..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)