5 Years Too long? (1 Viewer)

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Because I want to design ecotourism lodges - which this course has the opportunity of letting me study.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Cape said:
Because I want to design ecotourism lodges - which this course has the opportunity of letting me study.
Well in your degree do u study engineering or architure, cause they are the ppl that design building

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Korn said:
Well in your degree do u study engineering or architure, cause they are the ppl that design building
Sort of. I can study any subjects I like, so next semester I'm doing subjects which are based upon environmental design and policy planning.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Cape said:
Sort of. I can study any subjects I like, so next semester I'm doing subjects which are based upon environmental design and policy planning.
Oh, ok cool, damn UWS is flexible

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
My friends are all graduating in two years. When they're out working in suits (or labs, as the case may be) I won't even have my own patients. I won't even be a clinical student yet. By the time they reach manager level (2011) I'll only just have graduated, and entered the hospital at the very lowest level - with even LESS respect than the janitor (a la Scrubs).

To top it all off, I won't even be able to enter independent employment (ie private practice) until I'm about 30. Most people are already on their way to their second/third car, second house, second child by then.

So STFU and stop complaining.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Eh it sounds long, and the people in 5th year always say how sick they are of uni, but after a year or two working they get sick of that too and miss the uni lifestyle. Sure there's less money, but there's also more free time etc.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
5 years sounds long, but just think how much time your actually at uni. Theres uni on average 13 weeks a semester - minus a few public holidays here and there. And a couple of weeks set aside for finals, of which you may only need to go a few days depending on subjects. So realistically, your only at uni half a year. So, in effect, if your degrees says 5 years, your only doing 2.5 years of study :p

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Nah, she's right when you think about it...for a typical uni, a semester is 14 weeks (inc. stuvac), + say 3 weeks of exams. Do that twice a year its 34 weeks...so a bit over half...work it out for the 5 years...out of those 5 years you're only in session for 65% of the time :p

And as for people that are like 'omg, 23 is soooo old, i'll be ancient by the time I graduate', just think back to when you were a kid and thought 18 was over the hill.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Sorry, I didn't bother counting weeks. It also depends on your course - science people don't count exam time as breaks because we're studying until our last exam (usually middle-late exam period) whereas half the arts people don't have exams at all.

In med we just don't count because the timetable is so dynamic, and you have more and more contact hours each year. By sixth you basically just don't get a summer break at all.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Generator said:
Ah, what do you mean? I thought the 'likely to die in your late 70s/early 80s' should have been clear enough in suggesting that given current life expectancies, such an age would be your best 'bet' if you happen to be planning for your future. Of course, no matter your physical condition you could be lost in a sea of nostalgia at that age, but that's not worth worrying about at the moment.

If that was meant to be a joke of some sort... If so, I missed it, clearly.
Late 70's is a very low life expectancy, uuless you mean most people are senile/blind/deaf/a vegetable by 80.

Generator

HSC
N/A
jm1234567890 said:
not for Australia....
That's what I was thinking... 78-9 for men and 82-3 for women, isn't it? If not, then that is the line that I was taking, anyway.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Weird. Sorry I guess I'm going off my family. Great grandfather died at 95 or so and I'm expecting no less from my 4 grandparents.

Hmm. I should proably be more healthy, then.

just adding a random comment: Lexicographer do you go to UWA?

I do too ... i thought i was the only one here!

and BTW:
my degree is three yrs! :p

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
I've got a Double Degree, and I don't see myself getting out of uni until I've finished at least my 6th year at uni... and it doesn't bother me at all. I can't see why people are in a rush to get out to be stuck in the workforce as soon as they can. I'm not in any hurry, to the point, I'll probably kick into a post grad degree afterwards before looking for work.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Cookiez_n_Cream said:
just adding a random comment: Lexicographer do you go to UWA?

I do too ... i thought i was the only one here!

and BTW:
my degree is three yrs! :p
Nah, I just put that in my signature to confuse people.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
kimmeh said:
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Lexicographer again.

:)
Why do ppl write that in posts

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)