6 Prescribed Texts? (1 Viewer)

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Do we need all 6 prescribed texts for Foundations, coz that's quite a few books for just one semester (aside from the legal dictionary and Constitution).

SertseSW

HSC
Are you including the "preliminary" books in your 6? I've always assumed that prelim stuff is just for you to read/skim over for background before you start the course. Could be wrong though

Otherwise I just see those:

Prue Vines, Law and Justice in Australia: foundations of the Australian Legal system, Oxford University Press, Melbourne, 2005

Commonwealth of Australia Constitution, AGPS ( or may be in the back of the legal dictionary)

NSW Constitution ( from NSW GOVT bookshop or download from AUSTLII on web)

Law School Materials ( available later in Session 1 from the UNSW bookshop)

And the dictionary:

Butterworths Concise Australian Legal Dictionary

Given that the constitution could be already be included in the dictionary, and that the NSW one can be downloaded....it doesn't seem that much.
<SUP>
</SUP>

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
From the booklist, I've got:

- Law & Justice in Australia (Vines)
- Understanding Law (Chisholm)
- Butterworths Legal Dictionary
- Understanding Tort Law (Harlow)
- Understanding the Australian Legal System (Carvan)
- Australian Constitution (AGPS)

So I'm guessing I don't need a couple of those, but rather I could just borrow them and skim read them?

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
You will not need all six.

You will need the course reader for sure as well as the legal dictionary. You also might as well buy the torts book for the end of session 1 and session 2.

The Australian Constitution can be found pretty much with a google search. You can buy a pocket copy for a few dollars from the bookshop but the constitution is reproduced in the back of your Public law/Fed con book that you will need in 2nd year.

I'm not sure about Pru Vines book. I havn't seen it and do not know whether you are required to do any readings from it.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
i think the main texts used in foundations are Prue's book and your course reader.

if you buy the butterworths dictionary, the constitution is on the back. get the dictionary as it is a long-term investment thingy.

you will need the torts book later in the session.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Ok.
Course Reader = ? I don't recall it being on the book list.
So the Torts book is pretty much a necessity for late S1 and S2?

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
actually. ask your teacher about the "Understanding Tort Law". i DON'T think it's the main text used in LAWS1061 TORTS in Session 2 (since we used Luntz & Hambly 2002 last year, but that's getting old).

Course reader = Law School Materials; basically it's photocopies of handouts/extra readings/newpaper clippings etc.

sabgas

HSC
Frigid said:
actually. ask your teacher about the "Understanding Tort Law". i DON'T think it's the main text used in LAWS1061 TORTS in Session 2 (since we used Luntz & Hambly 2002 last year, but that's getting old).

Course reader = Law School Materials; basically it's photocopies of handouts/extra readings/newpaper clippings etc.
Course Reader? I don't remember anyone mentioning a course reader. I've got all the 6 books .. I know its unecessary, but I wanted to! hehe ... but this course reader which you speak of ... elaborate. :worried:

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
as i said Course Reader = Law School Materials ( available later in Session 1 from the UNSW bookshop)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)