6 units of science? (1 Viewer)

annaisbored

HSC
Hey guys! :):):)
So, based on past experiences from people who has done all three;
chemistry
physics &
biology --

Is it or was it tedious/hard keeping up with ALL three sciences?

+ one extension course such as english or maths extension

... and when I ask this, I'm asking in place of a non-genius; so no replies going:
"piece of cake".
or
"so easy mangzzzz"

Not that anyone would say that anyway ROFL :p

(This is not necessarily referring to myself by the way, ahem.)

Thank you :):D

Baka.AL

HSC
N/A
i do all 3, well prelim was ok wasnt too bad althought i didnt study much ... work load was wasnt too bad

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
Im doing 6 units of science and ext eng and ext maths. You will be absolutely fine if you have grasped the basic fundamental concepts of science. If you haven't, concentrate for a month or so and it should be OK.

4theHSC

HSC
chemistry
physics &
biology --

... and when I ask this, I'm asking in place of a non-genius; so no replies going:
"piece of cake".
or
"so easy mangzzzz"

ok DON'T DO IT!! I mean I love science as well but I don't think doing all three was the best thing,, I mean if you want to drop DROP chemistry!,, So far it is the most boring in year 12,, Physics gets like 10 times better in year 12 and more interesting,, biology is a nice subject through out,, so if you want to drop any of the 3 sciences its gotta be chemistry... unless things change,, I'm hating it in year 12 right now... do economics or some other subject... I dunno thats just my opinion,, science is cool but when there is too much of it,, it just gets to you sometimes...
EDIT: I might take this post off if my mind suddenly changes about chemistry and I start to like it again :p

chichichip

chichichichichichichi....
HSC
YEAH BABY! :D

3 sciences is great if you have great teachers, imho.
If you love science, then go for it! :D

I suppose it's better than 3 histories (ie ancient modern legal)

tellme

HSC
Nah, you'll be fine. It's nice to do all three because they tend to all tie into one another.

I do all three and Extensions maths and english. Keeping up well and engjoying the lack of essays =P

VERY harsh on you if you don't like calculations and purely information crunching things, though. But everyone has those days.

annaisbored

HSC
Thanks for all the responses guys!
It's good to see that my worries were really for nothing, ahha :D

I do like science ;
Enjoying it thus far (with the two sciences I have anyway)
like 4thehsc said, chemistry is quite boring atm -- maybe because of my teacher @__@;; but I'm alright with it. :)

However, I've heard that doing 3 sciences can cause you to do not as well in all science; 'cause you're too busy to study in depth, all of the subjects at once?
:( sighh!

I despise information technology SO SO SOSOSOSOSO MUCH!! -- it's such an utter waste of time, imo. And I know it's been weeks already... My subjects coordinator might not even let me change to physics... God knows how far the physics class have gotten already.

urghhh! I might as well try anyway!! :(

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
quite a few people choose all 3 sciences (in my school) and they're usually alright

HSC
personally id much rather die. im struggling enough with bio!
there are only 2 people at my school doing 3 sciences.
1 is doing chem, bio & physcis
the other is doing chem, bio & earth.

i guess its really up to you & what you're interested in.

tellme

HSC
I do accel bio, possessionless. yr12 bio is hectic fun! tho that's my personal opinion.

Also, don't worry about catching up in physics. It's not hard in yr11, I dont' reckon.

HOWEVER! Prepare yourself mentally =P

PS: eww info tech >_>

FLYHAWK14

HSC
N/A

chemistry
physics &
biology --

In year 11 the sciences are VERY boring therefore it can be quite tedious, however in year 12 they get better, like in chem, you start learning about and messing with dangerous acids and in bio, you start learning about gory diseases so the advice I'll give is that you should hang in there and if you have the classic boring teacher problem, find a tutor who can make the subject interesting for you and thus makes it easier to learn

deano1

HSC
chemistry
physics &
biology --

"piece of cake".
or
"so easy mangzzzz"

Hey I do all 6 units of science, and I reckon as long as u got good teachers its pretty good, besides at least u have less essays and more experiments, like my chem teacher used to be crap so I used to hate chem but now I love it in yr 12, physics I have a crap teacher so I hate it but I only like it cause of my physics tutor, and biology is by far the easiest science especially cause I have an excellent teacher.

HSC
People in my school who do 6-unit of science are consider 'geeks' but it's a good thing.... lol :read:
Na the most important thing is not only the teacher but if u can do it yourself too. Extension eng and math take alot of time already if your serious about it then do all 3 science then. Apparently if you do good in all three top 5 or so for each sci subject you get nominated for some science award in Canberra, (shurg don't no the detail to much) :wave:
Well other than that, just think about what career out there your going to have if your taking these subject

Personally, i think biology doesn't have that many career option as chemistry and physics (6 ditgit salary :)!!!!)

annaisbored

HSC
Wow, the science coordinator+ subject coordinator approved of me transferring.
Now it's all up to me :cold: *SHUDDERS*
(super indecisive)

Yes, I.T makes me want to spew all over the mediocre ergonomics in my computer labs.
Oh mann, so are you implying that year 12 physics is totally on a different level of difficulty as opposed to year 11 physics? @___@
[edit]: wait, (tellme) you're doing hsc in 2010 too :D LOL; I guess we're all yet to find out.

Biology is awesomeness! I have the best teacher for the subject :):)
Chemistry on the other hand...
*THROTTLES TEACHER*
He acts all high and mighty; and even admitted, "it's not MY hsc, so I don't care."

I guess I'll give physics a chance :cold: (**THINKS A BIT MORE ABOUT IT... urghh headache...)
And drop it if it gets to the point that I can't handle it and stuff. x nx

Last edited:

Sadistic Doll

HSC
Hun, you are capable of doing 6 units of science. Personally, and from other’s opinions, 6 units of science are equivalent to 3 other 2 unit subjects. From my preference so far, Physics > Biology > Chemistry. HSC Physics is very enjoyable as well as interesting and did I mention that there’s “Medical Physics” and other great topics you will be studying? xD

Go see your subject coordinator ASAP!
You know you want to.. ;)

tellme

HSC
WOOOO GOOD ON YOUUU!!!!

Yeah, I'm doing bio HSC this year. What is said is true. yr11 is boring covering all the basics, but yr12 is awesomeness!

and yes, less essays =P.

dux&src

just a star-crossed lover
HSC
i dropped biology after the first lesson :lol:
so i've only got 4 units of science :(
Isn't ecosystems a tad boring ...:lol: maybe it wasn't the best decision but there was something else on that line that i also liked..so I made the decision to change subjects...

HSC
i do 3 sciences atm.

loving chemistry. physics is ok. i can fall asleep in biology if i wasn't sitting right in front of the teacher LOL. i dot ext maths as well.

ppl say im smart but im not really. just work hard and you'll be fine. good organisational skills help A LOT. if you can handle it, then why not? you can always drop one subject in year 12.

GO FOR IT!! =]

HSC
Just curious, beacusae looking at the statictics of ppl who sit in the HSC for biology ~70% of the student are girls why is that so????

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)