6 units (1 Viewer)

weiwern28

HSC
N/A
So I have 4 units to do this coming semester ACST255, STAT271, ACST305 and ECON360. I feel like learning more once again and was wondering if there was anyone who has taken 6 units for a semester? Does anyone know the likeliness that I can get approve for this considering I've done 5 units for the past 4 semesters.

jake2.0

. . .
HSC
So you want to do 19CP (or more) all up?

Getting approval really depends on why you want to overload and what kind of grades you have been getting in the past. If you're a HD student and are overloading because you want to do some extra subjects which interest you then you might have a chance. However if you are overloading because you want to catch up on exemptions or whatever then I would be very doubtful.

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
I'm not sure how you'd go getting approval for 19cp. I just did 16cp, but the law dept barely battered an eyelid; however, you might run into issues because they are units across different departments (or so it seems to me!).

It's always worth a shot: the worst they can say is no. I would recommend not working at all during next semester, though!

hello2004

So I have 4 units to do this coming semester ACST255, STAT271, ACST305 and ECON360. I feel like learning more once again and was wondering if there was anyone who has taken 6 units for a semester? Does anyone know the likeliness that I can get approve for this considering I've done 5 units for the past 4 semester
You should really stick with 4 units because of the combination of subjects you listed.

ACST255 - Pretty straight forward, but still requires work because it's ACST

STAT271 - This subject is not easy. Lots of people missed out on their exemption in my year (although it is definitely doable).

ACST305 -

This is the subject that concerns me and is the reason why you should either stick with 4 units or delay this for another year (which is perfectly normal) and pick up some other courses.

ACST305 is great fun, but it requires hours and hours of study in order to understand the concepts.

Ito calculus is generally taught to people doing postgraduate study, but you'll only have two weeks to cram some very foreign concepts.

To understand these concepts properly takes time and failure to do so will make you fall behind since the rest of the course builds on these very ideas.

On top of this, I'm pretty sure that you haven't completed ACST354. Even though 354 is not listed as a prereq it helps greatly with understanding the material in ACST305 (specifically the stuff on stochastic processes). The other students in the class will have done 354, leaving you at a severe disadvantage.

Completing ACST305 in second year will result in you gaining a significantly lower mark than what you could have achieved had you delayed the subject by a year.

However if you do wish to do ACST305 next semester good luck. But its a really bad idea to overload with the program you just listed.

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
MaryJane said:
...but the law dept barely battered an eyelid...
I'm having visions of baseball bats, boxing gloves, and other sporting goods and apparel being hung up in departments (other than law), ready to batter any student eyelids.

OOOHh, you meant "Batted", right?

;)

Luke!

Sexual Revolutionist
HSC
Skittled said:
I'm having visions of baseball bats, boxing gloves, and other sporting goods and apparel being hung up in departments (other than law), ready to batter any student eyelids.

OOOHh, you meant "Batted", right?

;)

Really?
I was picturing eyelids, battered then deep-fried, served warm with a side of hot chips and tartar sauce for dipping... available now from Macquarie's Law Department.

=P

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Luke! said:
Really?
I was picturing eyelids, battered then deep-fried, served warm with a side of hot chips and tartar sauce for dipping... available now from Macquarie's Law Department.

=P
Hmm, deep battered eye lids *drools*

MaryJane

Extraordinary Machine
HSC
haha oh my goodness I'm crying from laughter!

I'm such a fool!! I could use tiredness as an excuse, but I wrote it at 1pm. I'd say I was hungry at the time.

I think battered eyelids would be quite tasty, but I'd have BBQ sauce rather than tartar.

:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)