60% of Uni Students live below the Poverty Line (2 Viewers)

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
http://www.smh.com.au/news/National...ow-poverty-line/2005/05/14/1116024407236.html

Tell me something I don't know....

The current situation with universities is screwed. The expense is going to turn people off coming here as internationals, which will mean either the rest of us will have to pay more (or the government, but there is little chance of that) or watch our unis turn to shit.

Just out of curiosity, who here has worked more than 35 hours per week during semester while doing full time study for any extended period of time? *Raises hand*.... it really does impact upon your study, and it ain't much fun. Plus you can't get involved in campus life, do work experience etc. It turns uni in to a chore and you don't learn as much as you would if you had more free time to study.

I think I might move to Sweden....

But out of curiosity I'd like the see where Felix got that stat from... it was a bit slack of the SMH to run that as a headline without any backup of where the stat was from, they just took it as hearsay from Felix (who, you know, has a bit of an agenda!).... not entirely responsible reporting.

So yes, what do you all think the solution could be? Or do you deny that our universities are going down shit creek without a paddle or even a boat?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
+ You still have money for internet access?
+ You still have time to post on BOS?

I really think you need to rethink your situation - it's not THAT bad.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Hang on, I know the answer to this one...

*thinks really hard

*thinks some more

OMG I have it! We could stop charging compulsory union fees! Seems Felix is shitting in his own grave before he's thrown in it :)

Rorix

HSC
I don't think they're including the non-means tested branch of YA in there but neo_o can clarify

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I'm not saying that I have it horribly hard NTB, because my parents would help me out if I was literally starving, however I am saying that I feel very sorry for those that do not have parental financial backup because I have worked up to 45 hours a week plus full time uni and it is really hard sometimes. Have you ever done this to afford uni + living costs? You can't really scoff then. It isn't fair that people have had to struggle to get in to uni, and then their study is impacted upon so severely by their financial problems. A lot of people (especially those who don't have to pay costs to live away from home to study) take university for granted sometimes.

$400 bucks on union fees a year isn't much when you are looking at costs of about $15000 if not more (depends on the course and what sort of equipment/books you need)..... I doubt VSU will increase the confidence that international students will have in Australian universities.

In my opinion the qualifications for youth allowance need to be reviewed so that people can get it in some situations where it is currently very difficult to qualify. YA + the max amount you can earn on it as a student is only just enough to get by (living in Sydney city for uni especially... it's much cheaper in suburbs/rural areas for rent etc).

Does anyone have any actual insights or opinions on this topic rather than pointless jabs about VSU and my internet access?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
braindrainedAsh said:
I'm not saying that I have it horribly hard NTB, because my parents would help me out if I was literally starving, however I am saying that I feel very sorry for those that do not have parental financial backup because I have worked up to 45 hours a week plus full time uni and it is really hard sometimes. Have you ever done this to afford uni + living costs? You can't really scoff then. It isn't fair that people have had to struggle to get in to uni, and then their study is impacted upon so severely by their financial problems. A lot of people (especially those who don't have to pay costs to live away from home to study) take university for granted sometimes.

$400 bucks on union fees a year isn't much when you are looking at costs of about $15000 if not more (depends on the course and what sort of equipment/books you need)..... I doubt VSU will increase the confidence that international students will have in Australian universities.

In my opinion the qualifications for youth allowance need to be reviewed so that people can get it in some situations where it is currently very difficult to qualify. YA + the max amount you can earn on it as a student is only just enough to get by (living in Sydney city for uni especially... it's much cheaper in suburbs/rural areas for rent etc).

Does anyone have any actual insights or opinions on this topic rather than pointless jabs about VSU and my internet access?
You said yourself that you rarely have time to use the facilities the union provides, so wouldn't VSU help you in some way, even if it is a small one?

Generator

HSC
N/A
withoutaface said:
You said yourself that you rarely have time to use the facilities the union provides, so wouldn't VSU help you in some way, even if it is a small one?
This isn't a VSU thread. Besides, as was argued in another thread, a service does not have to be used on a regular basis (if at all) in order for it to be worthwhile/important.

Edit: Ah, sorry about carrying on the argument after pointing out that this wasn't the thread for it.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
I agree that it's probably best that this thread doesn't turn into another one of those threads, but I do genuinely think that VSU would be helpful towards this end.
</VSU discussion>

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
How many people are in TRUE financial trouble tho? I don't see many people at uni wearing shabby clothes.. which is usually a sign of financial difficulty.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Not-That-Bright said:
How many people are in TRUE financial trouble tho? I don't see many people at uni wearing shabby clothes.. which is usually a sign of financial difficulty.
Clothes last for some time, but what about a pantry of food?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Ration? or maybe if you can't support yourself plus get an education while young, you may need to get into the workforce for a while?

I just find that alot of people that complain about money problems spend their money on crap.

Cooleroo

Banned
HSC
we need poor people in our society.

if everyone got a degree and became doctors, lawyers, accountants etc.

who's gonna fry my chips? who's gonna clean my car?

the system is just fine, let the rich take up the top jobs, let the poor stack the boxes.

supercharged

HSC
N/A
If you really work up to 45 hours a week whilst doing full time uni, you should really consider defering for a year or year and a half to work full time and save up some $$$ before you resume your studies or study part time instead, no point making life THAT hard for yourself

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Rorix said:
I don't think they're including the non-means tested branch of YA in there but neo_o can clarify
I dont think that they are including YA in there at all.

The statistics in the article are fairly accurate.

Living costs, which included rent and food for an academic year, were $9077 in Australiap
I pay (for rent and food) $205 x 40 = $8,200 and throw in some extra money for beer, snacks, internet, travel and I'd hit about $9000. However, in welfare I receive $430 x 26 (+500 from a college bursary) = $11680. So as you can see, I'm already up on my living expenses by over $2000 a year alone (though, my rent contract is only for 40 weeks, whilst my YA is paid over a full year, so this accounts for the difference.) In reality, I have $20 a week to live on. Working a 10 hour week, I'd be earning over $100 a week, AFTER LIVING EXPENSES, so hardly poverty - especially since I go to a rather expensive college. Incidentally I get nothing from my parent. Zip, ziltch etc.

My only problems to be honest are the union fees, textbooks and other one offs that I have to scrounge money together to pay for. Oh, and my clothes do have holes in them (and the soles have nearly completely fallen off a pair of shoes that I'm wearing).. I haven't gotten around to buying moth balls yet. :(

In broad terms though, uni students have it completely fucking easy. The rise in HECS fees is IRRELEVANT as you can defer them, people working 40 hour weeks I'd imagine have CHOSEN to work so they can pay their fees EARLY for a DISCOUNT, THESE STUDENTS WORK HARD BY CHOICE, NOT BY NEED.

People working a 40 hour week would soon qualify for non means tested YA anyway, since they qualify after earning around $13,000 in a year and a half, so I don't see what the problem is. Oh wait, yes I do, the problem rests with a bunch of little girls who are unable to grow up and think that just because they are attending university, society owes them something. NEWSFLASH! Society owes you fuck all, you're getting a huge amount of benefits and you don't pay your fees up front, what more could you fucking ask for?

Last edited:
HSC
Couldn't have said it better, if you choose to go to Uni, you're also choosing to deal with the costs. If you can't manage it (Or even if you can), it's not right to bitch at the world about how hard done by you are.

You're in Uni, you're going places, stiff upper lip and deal with it. If it's really that hard to deal with, fix the "poverty" problem and drop out.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Oh wait, yes I do, the problem rests with a bunch of little girls who are unable to grow up and think that just because they are attending university, society owes them something. NEWSFLASH! Society owes you fuck all, you're getting a huge amount of benefits and you don't pay your fees up front, what more could you fucking ask for?
*clap clap clap*

Cooleroo

Banned
HSC
jezzmo said:
in my economic lecture there's a guy who wheels a shopping trolley with all his possessions and sits in the front row each lecture. everyone stays away from him because he smells absolutely horrendous. he scribbles his notes on what looks to be old university pamphlets of some sort.
man, if he was in my lecture, i would beat the living shit out of him.

fucking hobos, they belong in the STREET not lecture theatres.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)