~6000 words vs ~8000 words (1 Viewer)

Logain

aka Will, Skis, Willskis
HSC
Do you guys reckon that the markers distinguish works completed and finished at 6000 or so words, and value them less than guys (and girls) who went the whole way to around 8000 words or so?

waterbottle

your buttcheeks is warm
HSC
of course not, if they didn't want people to finish around 6000 words, they wouldn't have made that one end of the limit.

simplicity (or more precisely, concise-ness - is that a word??) is not always a bad thing!

Jayphen

super disco breakin'
HSC
6000 words may not be a bad thing at all, if you think about how much time they actually have to read over each major work. I've been told it's approximately 20 minutes by someone whose mother used to be a marker. That's 20 minutes for RS, MW, and journal. 20 minutes to read it all, AND mark it. That's not much time at all.

d_a_n_z

HSC
just stop and think - a year of work is marked in 20minutes...

Abbeygale

HSC
God I hope not- worrying about that makes me snarkily defensive about my hovering-around-6000 MW. I'm not in any position to say yes or no, because I'm not a marker. But I think it would be unfair if they did. I don't think an extra 2000 words would improve my work at all- I think it would ruin the pacing and make it seem strained.

Maybe I should make some reference to that thought in my RS? Or not. I also worry that the marker is going to see some sections of my RS as just making excuses for poor writing (the beginning is supposed to be sort of incoherent, honestly!)

black_man

Chuck lives here
HSC
it might be somewhat different for different mediums in terms of marking, because i think one of the teachers who had marked poetry in ee2 said that he spent an hour reading each work, perhaps that sounds unlikely, though im fairly sure thats what he said

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)