8 Marker (1 Viewer)

Shifty

Bulldogs 04' Premiers
HSC
I know this should probably be in the astrophysics section, but i need some quick help...

Last years 8 marker for astro. was:
"Evaluate the impact of studying the visible spectrum of light on our understanding of celestial objects"

What dot point from the syllabus does this question relate to?
Is it:
"Identify data sources, gather, process and present information to assess the impact of improvements in measurement technologies on our understanding of celestial objects"

Thanks for any help.

mojako

HSC
probably its not relevant to ur Q, but just FYI if Im not mistaken they cant ask an 8 mark Q anymore.. 6 is probably the most

pc_wizz

ρ s y c н o ρ α τ н ™
HSC
thankgod for that! :)

helper

HSC
N/A
Was covering a number of dot points
 identify the general types of spectra produced by stars, emission nebulae, galaxies and quasars
 describe the key features of stellar spectra and describe how these are used to classify stars
 describe how spectra can provide information on surface temperature, rotational and translational velocity, density and chemical composition of stars

With a bit of yours

From the Notes from the Markers, you had to describe at least 3 pieces of information that could be obtained from spectra. Then you needed to say one impact of this study and then made a statement about the significance of this.
An example might be translational motion. All stars and galaxies are red shifted in their spectral lines from the absorption spectra. This meant all stars are moving away from Earth. This was a significant discovery because it provided evidence for the big bang theory.

smallcattle

HSC
mojako said:
probably its not relevant to ur Q, but just FYI if Im not mistaken they cant ask an 8 mark Q anymore.. 6 is probably the most
are you sure?? cuz last year there was a 8 mark question in quanta to quarks

mojako

HSC
hmm.. thats why I said if Im not mistaken..
I know my teacher said something about the high-mark Q but I cant remember if he said they cannot ask it or if they try to avoid it now
and it also probably excludes the option topic.

Jase

HSC
WHAT?!?! really!???! but but.. 8 mark is the traditional question... and .. wait. They've never have an 8 marker outside of the option. But there's always one at the very end, it's the essay question!

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
But I think they want to avoid asking 1/3 of the option on one point which really doesn't test your overall understanding of the module more or less you having memorised one aspect. Although I wouldnt mind an 8marker on the standard model of the atom.

HSC
N/A
they asked a 7marker in chem this year so i reacon that 7 marks is the max they can ask you.

superbird

HSC
Shifty said:
I know this should probably be in the astrophysics section, but i need some quick help...

Last years 8 marker for astro. was:
"Evaluate the impact of studying the visible spectrum of light on our understanding of celestial objects"

What dot point from the syllabus does this question relate to?
Is it:
"Identify data sources, gather, process and present information to assess the impact of improvements in measurement technologies on our understanding of celestial objects"

Thanks for any help.
im doing astrophysics aswell...
for that sorta question i would blab on about the different types of spectra (absorption, continuous, emission) and explain how that can be used to determine surface temperature, density, velocity etc. then i would probably would also talk about the colour index and classes.
end off with a nice conclusion that this data allows us to work out how old and big the universe is etc

mitch_07

HSC
is it always da case that there is either a 7 or 8 mark question for option in hsc iam doing medical physics. if this is da case what would u talk about for 8 marks???

2003 hsc- an understanding of the properties of electrons, and our ability to control their behaviour, have played key roles in the development of CAT scans and positron emission tomography imaging technologies. Justify this statemnet with reference to the production and display of images used for medical diagnosis.

2002 hsc-assess the impact of medical applications based on ultrasound and the magnetic firld of particles within the body on modern society.

2001 hsc-Explain why MRI can be used to detect cancerous tissues.

thanks mitch_07

superbird

HSC
well to kill some time i would talk about how the actual product works then go on to state its advantages and disadvantages.
it depends on the type of question though. obviously if they asked u to justify then u will need to make a judgement and support it with evidence.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)