8 seconds key to weight loss (1 Viewer)

D.

Blurg!
HSC
N/A
A REVOLUTION in weight loss is about to hit Australia after scientists devised a workout that burns three times the amount of fat.
They found their specific brand of interval training prompts the body to click into a metabolic response that allows more fat to be burned under the skin and within the muscles.
Researchers at the University of NSW and the Garvan Institute studied 45 overweight women over 15 weeks, putting them through a 20 minute cycling regime in which they sprinted on a stationary bike for eight seconds followed by 12 seconds of cycling lightly.
"They lost three times more weight as other women who exercised at a continuous, regular pace for 40 minutes," UNSW Associate Professor Steve Boutcher said.
Their success was due to higher amounts of chemical compounds called catecholamines that are produced in increasing amounts when linked to interval sprinting; the resulting chemical reaction drives greater weight loss.
The scientists believe the regime would also be applicable to swimming, walking, running and rowing.
Professor Boutcher said other types of interval training use longer interludes which are not as effective for overweight people and said the current government recommendations for exercise are largely ineffectual.
"Walking for 60 minutes, seven times a week does not result in much fat loss, usually 1.15kg over 15 weeks – for a lot of overweight people this is going to be a revolution," he said.
The scientists found their method could "spot reduce" troublesome areas such as legs and buttocks.
The system will be useful to diabetics, as "insulin resistance was dragged down by about 32 per cent".
The findings were welcomed by Bondi local Kim Broderick, 21.
"I try to run or walk but if this system works better it's great."
The scientists are now ready for the next phase of the study which controls food and exercise plans.
"We hope to find even more loss in fat," Professor Boutcher said.
The trial will put participants through the interval training while placing them on a Mediterranean diet of fresh food as well as daily fish oil capsules, which helps burn fat more efficiently.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,21096920-36398,00.html
Looks like a lot of what was accepted about weight loss has been turned on it's head.

D.

Blurg!
HSC
N/A
The participants in the study weren't obese (at least the one they interviewed wasn't). It was also said that it would work with a different training modality, i.e. running, skipping, etc.

Katie123

Clinical is OVER
HSC
i have a feeling that sort of short bursts is sorta what they do in those cycle classes

alby

cool duckie
HSC
The scientists found their method could "spot reduce" troublesome areas such as legs and buttocks.
this' dumb
the only reason you're 'spot reducing' is because its on a bike! :rolleyes:

NinjaSauce

HSC
This program sounds alot like the tabata program. Doesn't sound very 'revolutionary'.

PrettyVacant

HSC
Yeah, sounds like the fartlek I did last year for Lacrosse training.

HSC
I'm assuming the study was comparing it to those who say longer duration, moderate intensity is the effective way for fat loss.

It probably is something 'new' and 'revolutionary' to those who have no clue and are just following government recommendations. Theyre probably trying to pump it up and make more people aware of this type of training.

Anyway, i don't believe there is one true way to lose weight. It's really dependant on each individuals body.

(interval training all the way though!)

NinjaSauce

HSC
snobby airlines said:
Anyway, i don't believe there is one true way to lose weight. It's really dependant on each individuals body.
My i support the sentiment, and agree that 'everyone is different' [abiet in LITTLE ways], there is one true way that works for everybody...

Eat less.

Everyone is looking for some miracle cure. If everyone was to stop the fork-curls we wouldn't these problems.

HSC
Impression said:
If you stopped eating all the greasy food and "no-no" drinks, and exercised while having a diet of water and rice crackers, then I am certain it will work for everyone.
I hope you're joking.

So you'd live off water and rice crackers for the rest of your life? Lipo-suction would work too, what's your point.

Maybe I should've been more specific - there's no one dead set way to lose weight healthily. (I've bolded it and underlined it especially for you Impression)

SamTan*06*

All alone in a memory! I was beautiful theeeen....
HSC
NinjaSauce said:
Eat less.

NO NO NO!!!!

Eating less is really REALLY bad!! If you dont eat enough, your body goes into 'starvation mode'. This means that everything you eat gets stored away for when you really need it. But if you still eat reguarly, it never gets used! Thus you put on weight.

What people need to do is cut back on fats and suguar. (so be careful of foods that say 99% fat free! of watever, bcoz usually they contain really high amounts of sugar.) Eat 5 servings of vegies a day, 3 servings of fruit and grains/breads/cerials a day, 2 servings of meat/fish and dairy, and a very very little amount of saturated fats, sugar and oils. Dont cut them out completely, however, bcoz in small amounts, they are actually good for you.

And yes, I agree with the exercising thing...short bursts do work. But so does incidental exercise. That is, making things 'harder' for yourself, so as you move more. For example, parking that little bit further away, so as you have to walk a longer distance, placing things on higher shelves,sweeping carpets or vaccuuming for a longer period of time, hiding the remote so as you have to get up to change the channel etc etc etc.

D.

Blurg!
HSC
N/A
I've been thinking about it, and I believe that's the reasoning (don't know if they've published the study yet though, so I can't say for sure). I mean, normally a person works at a particular pace for 20 mins of so. By doing it this way, the overall intensity of the training is increased. But I don't really see how it's all that different from Fartlek and/or interval. Except that the varying speeds and intensities happen within a shorter time period, and the recovery period is much more intense, i.e. not active recovery, like with interval.

Nakashima

We GLAMOROUS
HSC
I did the interval thing the other day on the treadmill at the gym. It felt a lot easier than jogging 60 minutes straight through like I usually do.

The only disadvantage is people on the treadmills next to me think I'm crazy.

Predd

UAI99.55 Personal Trainer
HSC
Yeah absolutely nothing new. Whilst it's portrayed as the latest and greatest thing, it's high intensity interval training (HIIT) which has been studied for a number of years with remarkable results.

I had an influx of questions with regards to this when it was first popularised by the media and wrote quite a few Q&A's on the topic for those interested:

I saw an 8 second workout on the news. Is it safe and effective?

The 8 second workout reported that most fat was lost from the thighs and buttocks. Does this mean you can spot reduce?

Jay, you state that spot reduction is not possible. Yet News.com.au say "The scientists found their method could "spot reduce" troublesome areas such as legs and buttocks." when referring to the 8 second workout. This is new research and whilst it may be contradictory to other research, should still be considered.

I train HIIT regularly for fitness, hypertrophy and body fat level maintenance. I'm yet to try 8 second intervals though...must be very tough.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)