• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

$850 brand new laptop!!! (1 Viewer)

GaZ_2004

HSC
hey pplz...

just wantin sum opinions, on this laptop from harvey norman, i noe they are known for rippin ppl off but.... $850 4 a brand new compaq. Its actually $944 but u get $100 cash back.

Compaq Presario M2217AP Notebook:

AMD Sempron® processor 2800+,
256MB RAM
Integrated ATI Radeon Xpress 200
40GB hard disk
CDRW/DVD Combo
15" TFT screen
6-in-1 card reader
intergrated Wi-fi

so what do you think ppl?!?

Last edited:

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
get one of those new laptops which has like the widescreen and the screen is all like reflective and shit, they look c00l.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I bought a compaq laptop from Harvey Norman in about 1999 and had nothing but problems with it.... it was covered by warranty, but I kept taking it in and they kept denying that there was any sort of problem with it.

Then, after owning it for just over 12 months, something happened and I could no longer use a battery with it, I could only use it with it plugged in to the wall. Apparently it was going to cost a fortune to fix that so I didn't bother.

So my laptop buying experience at Harvey Norman was pretty bad. But my family bought their desktop computer from there and haven't had a problem with it, so yeah I dunno. Luck of the draw I guess.

Skeeta

HSC
wow i saw one in officeworks for a similar price. Dads bugging me to go for that one other than the apple im dreaming of..

thank god for this thread my dreams may come true!

iamsickofyear12

HSC
That laptop isn't very good. But I wouldn't buy one off ebay. I got mine from dell, they seem to have good deals, and I haven't had any problems with warranty so far (a guy came out and replaced my motherboard and I got shipped a new ac adapter).

HSC
sunny said:
I personally avoid Compaqs.
braindrainedAsh said:
So do I after my Compaq laptop experience....
^ Good idea, HP and Compaq merged to form shitpaq, a whole new era of low quality computer products

on a more serious note; its an ok laptop, needs moe RAM/bigger hdd

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
iamsickofyear12 said:
That laptop isn't very good. But I wouldn't buy one off ebay. I got mine from dell, they seem to have good deals, and I haven't had any problems with warranty so far (a guy came out and replaced my motherboard and I got shipped a new ac adapter).

ebay is very trusting...........

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
breaking said:
get one of those new laptops which has like the widescreen and the screen is all like reflective and shit, they look c00l.
look cool , but the glare factor is unbearable

tacuric

HSC
braindrainedAsh said:
I bought a compaq laptop from Harvey Norman in about 1999 and had nothing but problems with it.... it was covered by warranty, but I kept taking it in and they kept denying that there was any sort of problem with it.

Then, after owning it for just over 12 months, something happened and I could no longer use a battery with it, I could only use it with it plugged in to the wall. Apparently it was going to cost a fortune to fix that so I didn't bother.

So my laptop buying experience at Harvey Norman was pretty bad. But my family bought their desktop computer from there and haven't had a problem with it, so yeah I dunno. Luck of the draw I guess.

When you recharge the laptop too often it tends to only work by plugging it into the wall. That happens often to a few people that i knew. It might not be anything to do with where you bought it.

sunny

meh.
HSC
Batteries are consumables. They only have a limited number of charge cycles before they loose their ability to hold charge. Laptop batteries usually last a year or two before they start giving in. Once you notice your battery not lasting as long as it used to its a pretty good sign. More recent smart batteries can tell you how much full capacity they have left, compared to their original factory capacity.

Hop-Elite

HSC
GaZ_2004 said:
hey pplz...

just wantin sum opinions, on this laptop from harvey norman, i noe they are known for rippin ppl off but.... $850 4 a brand new compaq. Its actually $944 but u get $100 cash back.

Compaq Presario M2217AP Notebook:

AMD Sempron® processor 2800+,
256MB RAM
Integrated ATI Radeon Xpress 200
40GB hard disk
CDRW/DVD Combo
15" TFT screen
6-in-1 card reader
intergrated Wi-fi

Ok first of all, your buying iy retail, so ur gonna get ripped off, no matter how good it sounds, the laptop stated above sounds ok, but it needs more ram get at least 512mb DDR 400 and a harddrive which is atleast 120gbs, because 40 gbs is jackshit, when you realy start using it, the final thought i have about this laptop is the fact that is has an AMD Sempron as its CPU, the AMD brand is quite good but the sempron, is the lowest of AMD's as explained below:

AMD's announcement of the Sempron is really nothing more than solidifying the market segmentation for their products. The high end will be Opteron, the mid-range will be Athlon-64, and the budget level of performance will be showcased by Sempron. There will be several lines of Semprons based on both the Athlon XP core with the Socket A infrastructure, and then moving onto 256 K L2 Athlon 64's on the Socket 754 infrastructure. This will replace the Duron name as the budget offering from AMD. Nothing terribly exciting, but a good way to segment and define the different markets for AMD.

Having said this, its clear that the asking Price of $A 850 is not a great deal at that, the Sempron can be compared to the Celeron, for the reason being that it is on the lowest on performance from both Intel and AMD . hope this helps :)

Chief2666

El Zorro
HSC
Personally, id go for either a Dell or an IBM, like som eof the guys have said, you can get pretty good deals at dell.com.au, so try that out.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
Hop-Elite said:
but it needs more ram get at least 512mb DDR 400 and a harddrive which is atleast 120gbs, because 40 gbs is jackshit
Where do you get 120GB hard disks for laptops?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)