? (1 Viewer)

Sirius Black

Maths is beautiful
HSC
-In calculation questions, how many significant figures should we use for our final answer?

-In any expt, what are the potiential sources of error?

Thanx in advance

HSC
i use 2 dp for molar calculations, i dont think you can get any thing wrong unless it states otherwise

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
What about using fractions and exact values? I tend to do those, but the teacher doesn't like it.

P

pLuvia

usually it two decimal places is fine, but when your calculations have more than one number with decimal places round it off to three unless guided to do so you won't lose marks unless you do something ridiculous

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
potential sources of error vary from expt to expt. one in titration could be parallax error in setting the meniscus or reaction time in realising neutralization. just think about what could have gone wrong....that's all there is to it.

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
Trebla said:
What about using fractions and exact values? I tend to do those, but the teacher doesn't like it.
Fractions don't look right.

Remember to never round up during calculations. I use 2 decimal places, and I always state it - that is, (2 d.p.). Unless indicated by the question, I don't think it really matters whether you do two or three. You shouldn't leave the answer trailing 10 decimals though. :p

Sources of error vary from experiment to experiment. Some common ones include loss of sample due to careless handling, loss of heat to the environment, and inaccuracy when reading instruments.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)