90 - 100% CPU usage (1 Viewer)

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
For the past two days the CPU usage has remained at 90-100% and the computer is running really slow. The only program I have installed in the past two days is AVG. My computer is P4 1.8ghz 512mb ram 60gb hd, windows XP, I reformatted in late january. What could the problem be? Is it a virus, should i do a systems restore? :chainsaw: stupid computer !

sunny

meh.
HSC
Open up Task Manager, and see what program/process is taking up the CPU time.

asdf

HSC
ctrl-alt-del and check whats hogging the cpu (under processes tab)?

edit: beaten! :p

sunny

meh.
HSC
melsc said:
ie windows 20 000 kb but the weirdst thing is svchost - there is like 5 of them all taking abt 20 000kb each
Knowing the amount of memory is no help, you need to sort by the CPU column to get the CPU share each process is getting.

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
just get rid of those 5 same programs, then also look for any other little programs that miught be hogging up memory

sunny

meh.
HSC
melsc said:
oops silly me
ie 20
system 50
the others are minimal
If IE is taking 20% when you're not even using it theres a good chance you have some sort of spyware/adware installed. System should shouldn't go as high as 50% normally unless you have a fair few things running.

sunny

meh.
HSC
SashatheMan said:
just get rid of those 5 same programs, then also look for any other little programs that miught be hogging up memory
svchost is a program used to execute DLLs to provide system services. Getting rid of them would be a bad idea.

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
hey i checked how much my Ie is taking up and its around 30K for each window, and i know i got some spyware. do u think this spyware is slowing down my cxomputer?

sunny

meh.
HSC
SashatheMan said:
and i know i got some spyware. do u think this spyware is slowing down my cxomputer?
If you know you've got spyware, slowing computers down is generally what they do.

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
sunny said:
If you know you've got spyware, slowing computers down is generally what they do.
this spyware makes random pop ups come up. but they are not from a site, but from a folder on my computer. and if i delete that folder, it appears again. ill show u a pic next time it happens

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
sunny said:
Thats what I thought it was so before i posted this I used spybot...after about a 3 hour scan and 60 deleted spyware things its still the same

Plus i just tried to use system restore and both times they were unsuccessful. When the computer rebooted it told me to press F1 to continue and only then did it boot up

sunny

meh.
HSC
melsc said:
Thats what I thought it was so before i posted this I used spybot...after about a 3 hour scan and 60 deleted spyware things its still the same

Plus i just tried to use system restore and both times they were unsuccessful. When the computer rebooted it told me to press F1 to continue and only then did it boot up
If you have 60 spywares on your computer, theres a good chance theres more. With that sort of spyware count it might be worth the effort to start clean and try and keep it clean instead.

melsc said:
I just checked it again... and All i have runing is IE and AVG and the system idle was 83%
That is more ordinary.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
But I do, I only re-formated in January and had pc-cillin (until recently now i have avg) and spybot runing..wat else can i do?
I also delete the toolbars from the registry editor...but this time they wont go

know why system restore wouldnt work?

sunny

meh.
HSC
melsc said:
But I do, I only re-formated in January and had pc-cillin (until recently now i have avg) and spybot runing..wat else can i do?
I also delete the toolbars from the registry editor...but this time they wont go
Its more than just using software like anti virus and anti spyware to keep your computer clean. You have to be conscious as a user what you install on your computer and what you click on when you're online.

I run WinXP, I don't use System Restore or anti virus and rarely scan for adware. It hasn't been formatted for over a year and it runs perfectly fine. My brother's computer on the other hand needs a format every months from the amount of crap he runs and installs, even though he uses anti virus and anti spyware/adware scanners.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Go to run-> type msconfig -> choose selective start-up ->restart

Tell me what % CPU is being used now.

You could just go through each process one by one. But that'd take a while.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
sunny said:
Its more than just using software like anti virus and anti spyware to keep your computer clean. You have to be conscious as a user what you install on your computer and what you click on when you're online.

I run WinXP, I don't use System Restore or anti virus and rarely scan for adware. It hasn't been formatted for over a year and it runs perfectly fine. My brother's computer on the other hand needs a format every months from the amount of crap he runs and installs, even though he uses anti virus and anti spyware/adware scanners.
I understand that, but I have a 12 year old brother and two parents who don't know much about computers, Lol i am the only computer literate one in the house...I guess I'll have to check what he clicks a little more carefully :mad:

I am starting to think it is IE coz its only at 50% with one ie window open. I have two toolbars which shouldn't be there. I went into the registry editor and deleted all ie toolbars but they are still there and ran spybot 4 3 hrs...getting rid of them used to be easy...now they are more resilliant

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)