90+ atar (1 Viewer)

Lindzay

HSC
How easy would it/is it to get a 90 ATAR? My assessment has been pretty consistent all year (90%+ all subjects) and I've been doing around 4-5 hours study a day. However, I'm not overly good at exams (much rather assignments). :)

wassupitsmeyy

HSC
N/A
Based on your marks, it looks like you will easily get an above 90 atar. You should be right in the exam unless you are one of those people who get blackouts during them.

Goodluck!

KingTings

HSC
From what I've heard (graduating in 2019), good rankings and internal marks (which you have) seem to reduce the impact of poor external marks, allowing you to reach that goal as long as you put up a solid effort in the HSC exams.

Lindzay

HSC
From what I've heard (graduating in 2019), good rankings and internal marks (which you have) seem to reduce the impact of poor external marks, allowing you to reach that goal as long as you put up a solid effort in the HSC exams.
awesome, thats great news

blyatman

HSC
N/A
Internal school assessment marks DO NOT MATTER. Only your rank within your school, and how people in your school performed in the HSC exams. The internal school assessment marks are rubbish and completely useless. Getting 90% in for Maths Ext 2 in James Ruse is not the same as getting 90% at a school ranked 200th. As the school assessments are not standardised, your school marks are not taken into account, and are therefore meaningless.

tahc

HSC
Exactly what blyatman said, your marks within the school only matter in terms of your ranking at your school, and thus the mark of your peers will push you up or down, depending how the entire cohort goes. But ultimatley, hearing that you study 4-5 hours a day, you should get a 90+

Lindzay

HSC
Exactly what blyatman said, your marks within the school only matter in terms of your ranking at your school, and thus the mark of your peers will push you up or down, depending how the entire cohort goes. But ultimatley, hearing that you study 4-5 hours a day, you should get a 90+
my cohort is going to majorly drag me down though in the two subjects i didnt top though.

blyatman

HSC
N/A
my cohort is going to majorly drag me down though in the two subjects i didnt top though.
That's unlikely, unless you reckon that you'll perform significantly better in the actual HSC exams than the people who are ranked above you.

Lindzay

HSC
That's unlikely, unless you reckon that you'll perform significantly better in the actual HSC exams than the people who are ranked above you.
I dont think i will but wont i get dragged down if half the class fails?

blyatman

HSC
N/A
I dont think i will but wont i get dragged down if half the class fails?
The assessment marks are calculated using the HSC marks of your cohort and your rank. Ideally, if you're ranked, say, 27th, then you should (ideally) get the 27th highest HSC mark in your grade. People with higher ranks should perform better in the final HSC exam than those with lower ranks.

The only way you'd get dragged down is if the people ranked above you somehow flunked the final exam whilst you smashed it. In that case, those above you would be pulled up by your mark whilst you'd be dragged down by theirs. However, such a scenario is unlikely to happen - those with higher ranks will generally outperform those with lower ranks. The school ranks determine how students performed in the school assessments, which should be reflective of their performance in the HSC exams. So if you perform better in the final HSC exam than those that are ranked below you, but not as good as those ranked above, then you'll get a mark that accurately reflects your abilities, and will unaffected by the performance of your cohort. The only time you'd get dragged down by your cohort is if your abilities are better than those ranked above you. However, if your rank accurately depicts your abilities compared to your cohort, then the performance of your cohort will have minimal effect, and you have nothing to worry about.

In your example, you'd only be dragged down if half the class fails the final HSC exam AND you were ranked below those that failed. If you're relatively high up in the rankings, and those that failed the final exam all had lower ranks than you, then your mark will be unaffected.

Last edited:

Lindzay

HSC
The assessment marks are calculated using the HSC marks of your cohort and your rank. Ideally, if you're ranked, say, 27th, then you should (ideally) get the 27th highest HSC mark in your grade. People with higher ranks should perform better in the final HSC exam than those with lower ranks.

The only way you'd get dragged down is if the people ranked above you somehow flunked the final exam whilst you smashed it. In that case, those above you would be pulled up by your mark whilst you'd be dragged down by theirs. However, such a scenario is unlikely to happen - those with higher ranks will generally outperform those with lower ranks. The school ranks determine how students performed in the school assessments, which should be reflective of their performance in the HSC exams. So if you perform better in the final HSC exam than those that are ranked below you, but not as good as those ranked above, then you'll get a mark that accurately reflects your abilities, and will unaffected by the performance of your cohort. The only time you'd get dragged down by your cohort is if your abilities are better than those ranked above you. However, if your rank accurately depicts your abilities compared to your cohort, then the performance of your cohort will have minimal effect, and you have nothing to worry about.

In your example, you'd only be dragged down if half the class fails the final HSC exam AND you were ranked below those that failed. If you're relatively high up in the rankings, and those that failed the final exam all had lower ranks than you, then your mark will be unaffected.
awesome, thanks heaps, one more question, how much of an impact does the moderation/scaling of schools have? I undertsand the need for it i.e. no standadiesed assesments etc. Im presuming it would have a farily big impact?

blyatman

HSC
N/A
awesome, thanks heaps, one more question, how much of an impact does the moderation/scaling of schools have? I undertsand the need for it i.e. no standadiesed assesments etc. Im presuming it would have a farily big impact?
I would say minimal impact in most situations.

If you were ranked 1st, and you got the highest HSC exam mark, then there is no moderation of your mark. Likewise if you were ranked say, 7th, and you got the 7th highest HSC exam mark, there will be no moderation of your mark. Realistically, it is very unlikely that everyone's ranked HSC marks is exactly the same as their school rank. However, the differences between your HSC performance and those around your rank will likely be minimal (you're unlikely to have someone in the bottom 10% of the grade getting one of the top 10% of the HSC exam marks). For example, if you were ranked 15th out of say, 80, then those who were ranked in that range of, say, 10th-20th, will likely perform on a similar level as you (unless there were large discrepancies in abilities in that range, which is unlikely). Thus, although you will probably not exactly score the 15th highest exam mark, it will still likely be similar to the marks in that range (e.g. you might get the 13th, or 17th highest, but they'd be more or less the same). Therefore, the mark you get will only be moderated ever so slightly.

Moderation of school marks only becomes significant if your class size is small. For example, if you have 7 people taking a certain subject, then there could be large differences in abilities between say, ranks 4 and 7. In this case, your HSC school assessment mark would be much more affected if you under/over-performed in the final HSC exam. However, if your subjects have a large number of students, then any effects of moderation is likely to be minimal.

Last edited:

Guts

HSC
Have you tried practicing past exams in timed conditions?. I find that helps me prepare myself for the similar situation I will inevitably face in the exam.

Lindzay

HSC
Have you tried practicing past exams in timed conditions?. I find that helps me prepare myself for the similar situation I will inevitably face in the exam.
yeah, writing essays etc. out under timed conditions is super useful, helps stregthen the hand, remeber your concepts (wrote learning) and gives you an indication of your time management

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)