99.95 for all maths/chem/phys/mayb eng (1 Viewer)

nit

HSC
7, with two degrees and a much more thorough science background...and a scholarship and other things to boot...hmm...

nit

HSC
for undergraduate medicine, yes, given sydney doesn't have an undergraduate course ;) ...I'd like to see what sort of graduates the new UNSW course is going to produce...

Gryphondarks

Sith Lord
HSC
and i would like to see what sort of insecure bookworms the usyd course produces.. LoL I love arguing with Nithin online.

nit

HSC
LOL - insecure bookworms - the 4 year medicine course at Usyd has a heavy practical emphasis - more than unsw's course. The 3 years of science = theory + background work for a career in research - ie doctors who will know their stuff and be able to communicate effectively, engage in self-directed learning valuing their ethical and legal responsibilites, also participate in teamwork and be reflective practitioners, to use the grad cap theme. All this plus the ability to carry out research of their own choosing...what were you saying again?

nit

HSC
I realised that was not the best way to approach the matter, and that there were too many positives I was overlooking. I made that decision to go back 2 weeks ago or something, so it's old news now anyway.

Gryphondarks

Sith Lord
HSC
plz rybotnic introduce urself... anyway, being a part of the new unsw med course, i would say it certianily took me (and i suppose nithin too) by surprise. mind u i probably knew less about it, thoguh i was talking to some 2nd years who seemed to have loved it and recommended that i do it...

anyway, it was a case of :eek: (exasperation) taht so much of the stuff we did in week one (and even now and for the first 8 week block, the 'foundations' course) .. so much of the stuff was 'intro' type material. but surely that's no excuse for pulling out of the course without any communication nor discourse with one's 'friends' (such as one perceives them) or peers. clearly switching courses is one's personal decision, but one would expect some (even a minimal) degeree of social contact before one just ups and goes off to do some random thing. ergo, insecurity.

in terms of the course, i anticipate that the 4 year usyd one and the 6 year unsw one are much the same, but i think you would compromise your position as a clinician if you expected to be doing research concurrently... this last one is probably an inconclusive topic since this debate has been raging thru much of 6th form and still now bteween nithin and i... (well not raging, but u know..)

nit

HSC
well, this is annoying, posting up all my personal reasons for switching on a bos forum page and that too, in shafqat's tutoring ad, but here goes. Well, the switch wasn't solely due to the slowness of foundations...there were heaps of other factors, and you probably know a heap of them already, and I don't really need to mention the benefits of going to Usyd here. As for "but i think you would compromise your position as a clinician if you expected to be doing research concurrently", I quite frankly have no idea what you mean, so you'll have to explain more slowly and clearly...

Also, I don't see where your argument of insecurity fits in, and as for "friends", well yeh, you said it well.

Rybotnic: the Sydney course is science at the moment, for 3 years, and it's going ok so far.

Gryphondarks

Sith Lord
HSC
I find your response to the issue of friends somewhat unsettling... not on a personal level, mind, but in the general framework of societal communication and the breakdown of communication barriers (or not, as the case may be). Refer to Silverman and Kurtz ("the horror!" :p), the authors of OUR communications set text.

okay im' just teasing now... :eek:

nit

HSC
Rybotnic: (just to keep up this form of address) there are a few doctors I know who do both research and practise in their chosen fields. One of the people who does so lies in that last sentence...also, I have been assured by a number of other doctors that the clinician scientist/academic clinican variety is in demand today. As for the compromise in terms of time, I still don't see how that would impact on your clinical abilities - sure, you would be much busier, but if you're devoted to what you do and make sure you balance work with relaxation/fun, then I can't see a problem with that.

nit

HSC
well Rybotnic, you have to decide to not over-commit in your practice - you don't compromose yourself as a clinician, but rather choose, for example, a certain amount of people as a maximum you'll see, or open only at certain hours...then "a compromised position would not "arise" in that "setting"... :rolleyes:

Gryphondarks

Sith Lord
HSC
rybotnic said:
I see now that you were completely correct and that I was silly to even begin to doubt your capabilities in achieving both the goals of becoming a successful clinician and an excellent researcher... :rolleyes:
Quite a little 'volte face' from you there, Rybotnic..

Btw, I still don't know who you are althought I can hazard a guess.
ANd Nit, I am still not in accordance with your beliefs regarding research/clinical practice - this, perhaps, is not the best forum to discuss it (I'm thinking of a certian late night conversation we had once in the holidays). Anyway, that sort of conversation would be one between friends, and now I am quite unsure in which direction the situation lies. ANd if that has not been explained "slowly and clearly" enough for you (a phrase you used earlier), I don't know who can help you.

nit

HSC
well, it wasn't that "issue" that needed to be explained "slowly and clearly" to quote myself...rather I wanted to understand what you meant regarding your idea of a compromised situation when balancing both aspects of medicine. As for late night convo's, uni demands mean I hardly even stay up until 11pm these days.

Kelvy

HSC
Oh my GOD use some UNDERSTANDABLE WORDS PLEASE!!!

How about

"I don't want to do medicine!" or "I want to do medicine at sydney"

NOT

"the dljfgnksfdngksdfg of the kcjnbkjcbnkj and other factors such as ldfjbngfnbdkfnbkldf made me decide lksfnglkdfngkljsfdng about medicine and now i am slfdgndslfngdfg because of the ojdfnglksndfgjkdnfgjkndsfjndfh and i have no idea what the fuck i am typing sklfjngksdfngksdfg"

nit

HSC
Kelvy: I think the discussion on my decision to study medicine at Usyd finished a fair few posts ago... ;)

And, to explain more precisely, then, I certainly want to do medicine and I want to do it at Sydney where I get the option later on (after graduating and practising) to switch over to research if that's where I want to go. Usyd gives me a chance to go somewhere in chemistry/biochemistry/pharmacology, I like the medicine faculty at Usyd more than I do at UNSW, I'm on scholarship at Usyd ($30K over 5 years at Usyd is not nothing, and I'd have the chance to try out for full medicine scholarships through the GAMSAT - at UNSW I'd get nothing). I've also no doubt that this program will offer interesting research opportunities in the future (ie in the next 2 years or so), especially with my choice of subjects. There are other additional benefits at Usyd that I haven't thought too much about as yet - an honours research year in addition to BSc(adv), and also an MBBS/PhD combined program for a duration of 6 years. On the other hand, at UNSW, I don't even know what the 3rd phase even is - they haven't planned that far ahead! The fact is, at UNSW there is much less emphasis on the science - basic clinical science or whatever that graduate capability is counts for 1/8 of the qualities they expect of you as a doctor, while at Usyd the theory part is emphasized by the medicine faculty in this program more heavily, while the practical, hands-on nature of the UNSW program is retained in the Usyd graduate medicine program.

Thus, I think it's fairly evident that I'm more suited to Usyd, and I think I can "help" more people to use the standard medicine altruism more than by practising but also by carrying out biomedical research.

Last edited:

Gryphondarks

Sith Lord
HSC
rybotnic said:
Gryphondarks:

The :rolleyes: was meant to indicate that my "volte face" was driven by something more akin to sarcasm than any real belief that what I had said previously was somehow incorrect. Also, who do you think this is?
I did note that element of sarcasm, though what with the rather rampant and random use of syntax on internet discussions, one generally does not find it all too easy to elicit the other fellow's tone.

If i were to guess i would say it's myles. am i correct?

Gryphondarks

Sith Lord
HSC
ah, missed that detail. so 1 in 2 chance of guessing correctly, unless if its a pseudonym used by shafqat :p
okay masked romeo, reveal urself.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)