99.95 without extension 2 maths (2 Viewers)

Momentazeus

HSC
Hi guys,
Could someone please tell me how likely it is hypothetically for someone to get a 99.95 without doing extension 2 maths or English? In the scenario, the current subjects are ext 1 maths, Chem, Phys, bio adv English.

may22

HSC
I’ve asked around before; the ATAR is possible with any combination of subjects as long as smash them. So probably...95+ at the very least for everything

Last edited:

icycledough

HSC
Hi guys,
Could someone please tell me how likely it is hypothetically for someone to get a 99.95 without doing extension 2 maths or English? In the scenario, the current subjects are ext 1 maths, Chem, Phys, bio adv English.
I'm not sure if you heard of this before, but I remember seeing in the news this one guy (I think from another state) who got a .95 only doing languages (so English, etc). This goes to show it's possible with any combination of subjects, but you gotta bloody work hard and be willing to put in the hours now. It does make it a bit easier doing high-scaling subjects (like 4U, sciences, etc), but this is only a very small portion of the whole picture. Definitely need mid to high Band 6s for all subjects as @may22 mentioned.

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
Pretty sure you can get 99.95 with anything hypothetically, if you mean if its feasible to get 99.95 then I would assume its not a large stretch to say that you can't. I'm pretty sure someone got 99.95 ATAR just by doing english and humanities so it just goes to show that the typical MX2+2 sciences+eng adv doesn't always guarantee but I think it would definitely help doing MX2 but I wouldn't presume that not doing it would put you at a big disadvantage.

1630991487266.png

source;https://www.uac.edu.au/assets/documents/scaling-reports/scaling-report-2020-nsw-hsc.pdf

may22

HSC
Prelims will be a good indicator of where you’re currently sitting...and then tackle everything else from there I guess

tito981

HSC
Prelims will be a good indicator of where you’re currently sitting...and then tackle everything else from there I guess
I don't think prelims is a great indicator especially for chemistry and physics, i feel the skills these subjects assess in year 12 are much more broader as in prelims you rarely encounter any questions above 5 marks along with the fact that year 11 is 4 modules crammed into 3 terms, whereas, year 12 is more about the longevity of your studies, as they give you a lot more time to hone your skills, so even if you are borderline failing subjects in year 11, you can undoubtedly do better in year 12 just due to the amount of time you have. I'm just speaking from personal experience, in that i felt year 11 was more of a race to finish content in time, whereas, year 12 is more of a marathon where sustained studying is a lot better.

may22

HSC
I don't think prelims is a great indicator especially for chemistry and physics, i feel the skills these subjects assess in year 12 are much more broader as in prelims you rarely encounter any questions above 5 marks along with the fact that year 11 is 4 modules crammed into 3 terms, whereas, year 12 is more about the longevity of your studies, as they give you a lot more time to hone your skills, so even if you are borderline failing subjects in year 11, you can undoubtedly do better in year 12 just due to the amount of time you have. I'm just speaking from personal experience, in that i felt year 11 was more of a race to finish content in time, whereas, year 12 is more of a marathon where sustained studying is a lot better.
yeah I guess that’s true, for the maths and sciences, but I think with English it’s more a matter of gradually improving from year 11 and throughout year 12, especially since it’s the mandatory subject

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
99.95 is possible without that ext 2 maths. My subject were adv math, ext 1 math, eng adv, chemistry, physics and business studies. I was on track for a 99.95 based on the trials and other performance throughout the year but messed up a bit in the HSC probably due to pressure of the scenario but still got very high ATAR (99.70), so showing it is possible to get high 99s without ext 2 math.

However, one thing you need to understand is that to get such an ATAR you have to basically state rank or be within state ranking (1-2 marks) for every subject. This entails getting at least 95+ HSC mark in all subjects and probably 1-2 of them needs to be a very high band 6. English also out of these needs to a high band 6, as it can often limit that ability unless you end up state ranking in like multiple subjects. The difference between getting like a 99.5 and to 99.95 in my opinion is a lot about luck in terms of the performance on the exam day. If you make any silly mistakes then basically even if you had that ability to get that top ATAR, you won't so it requires a combination of top level ability, very minor to no silly mistakes and ensuring you perform well in all subjects that contribute to the 10 units. So if you are trying to set this as a goal, instead I would set some type of lower range like 99+ or whatever based on your ability so you don't get disheartened if something goes wrong. Because I know from experience when I misread a question in the HSC and lost like 4 marks cause of that it was a pretty shit feeling.

Momentazeus

HSC
99.95 is possible without that ext 2 maths. My subject were adv math, ext 1 math, eng adv, chemistry, physics and business studies. I was on track for a 99.95 based on the trials and other performance throughout the year but messed up a bit in the HSC probably due to pressure of the scenario but still got very high ATAR (99.70), so showing it is possible to get high 99s without ext 2 math.

However, one thing you need to understand is that to get such an ATAR you have to basically state rank or be within state ranking (1-2 marks) for every subject. This entails getting at least 95+ HSC mark in all subjects and probably 1-2 of them needs to be a very high band 6. English also out of these needs to a high band 6, as it can often limit that ability unless you end up state ranking in like multiple subjects. The difference between getting like a 99.5 and to 99.95 in my opinion is a lot about luck in terms of the performance on the exam day. If you make any silly mistakes then basically even if you had that ability to get that top ATAR, you won't so it requires a combination of top level ability, very minor to no silly mistakes and ensuring you perform well in all subjects that contribute to the 10 units. So if you are trying to set this as a goal, instead I would set some type of lower range like 99+ or whatever based on your ability so you don't get disheartened if something goes wrong. Because I know from experience when I misread a question in the HSC and lost like 4 marks cause of that it was a pretty shit feeling.
Wait so, let us say hypothetically, an individual doing these subjects was top 2 in all of them. If there were others who were ranked a bit lower in these subjects but ranked highly in ext 2 maths, who would get the 99.95? Also, do schools look at subject scaling when deciding internal ranks? And just to check, is it possible for someone who isn't dux to be able to get a higher atar than the dux if they did higher scaling subjects?

dasfas

HSC
Who knows, the difference between 99.50 and 99.95 is very small and honestly down to how you perform on the day. Don't overthink it - anything is possible with hard work and a little bit of luck

yanujw

HSC
is it possible for someone who isn't dux to be able to get a higher atar than the dux if they did higher scaling subjects?
The ATAR is the end result of scaling, moderation, alignment and all that other jargon. By definition, the dux is the top-scorer in the cohort, therefore the one with the highest ATAR.

Momentazeus

HSC
This is gonna be so much harder to do with the bloody prac tests and depth studies. I swear the timing has always been terrible

FesuY

HSC

If you dont mind sharing what were your subject marks?

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
If you dont mind sharing what were your subject marks?
For HSC final marks I got somewhere around this (can't remember exactly because been like 5 years but they shouldn't be off by more than 1-2):

Adv English - 97
Adv Maths - 98
Ext 1 Maths - 48 (this is out of 50 as I only did it 1 unit and didn't do ext 2 where then it would be 96/100)
Physics - 94
Chemistry - 94
Business studies - 94

As said in that other post though although these are very high marks and I was still happy with them, I underperformed in the HSC vs throughout the year and the 3 trial examinations my school had, so should've got higher if I had not messed up, but that's what happens in HSC sometimes.

Trial and exam marks throughout year:
Adv English - usually somewhere around mid 90% (rank 1)
Adv Maths - 98-99/100 (rank 1)
Ext 1 Maths - 65-68/70 (rank 3)
Physics - 92-93/100 (rank 1)
Business studies - 95-97/100 (rank 1)
Chemistry - 98-99/100 (rank 1)

Last edited:

dasfas

HSC
For HSC final marks I got somewhere around this (can't remember exactly because been like 5 years but they shouldn't be off by more than 1-2):

Adv English - 97
Adv Maths - 98
Ext 1 Maths - 48 (this is out of 50 as I only did it 1 unit and didn't ext 2 where then it would be 96/100)
Physics - 94
Chemistry - 94
Business studies - 94

As said in that other post though although these are very high marks and I was still happy with them, I underperformed in the HSC vs throughout the year and the 3 trial examinations my school had, so should've got higher if I had not messed up, but that's what happens in HSC sometimes.

Trial and exam marks throughout year:
Adv English - usually somewhere around mid 90% (rank 1)
Adv Maths - 98-99/100 (rank 1)
Ext 1 Maths - 65-68/70 (rank 3)
Physics - 92-93/100 (rank 1)
Business studies - 95-97/100 (rank 1)
Chemistry - 98-99/100 (rank 1)
Damm nice, was that a state rank in English?

idkkdi

HSC
I'm not sure if you heard of this before, but I remember seeing in the news this one guy (I think from another state) who got a .95 only doing languages (so English, etc). This goes to show it's possible with any combination of subjects, but you gotta bloody work hard and be willing to put in the hours now. It does make it a bit easier doing high-scaling subjects (like 4U, sciences, etc), but this is only a very small portion of the whole picture. Definitely need mid to high Band 6s for all subjects as @may22 mentioned.
that sounds like jesse caminer or smth

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)