99.95 without extension 2 maths (1 Viewer)

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
Now I have to figure out what to drop
Consider two types of subjects, they might be the same (if so then I'd just drop that one lol):

- The subject you can't care studying for and have not as much motivation relative to your other subjects
- The subject you are performing the worst in.

If you love all your subjects, then simply drop the subject you're performing the worst overall. If you have a subject you're doing extremely well but have 0 motivation for, then you would compare it with another subject, perhaps it might be the opposite - you love it but you're bad at it. For me personally, I've found that its more easier to make a comeback with a subject you're genuinely interested since you would be able to cope with the demands irrespective of its difficulty; e.g physics.

I would suggest you give a range of subjects you'd be fine dropping and there's a lot of people who would give their experience for each subject and opinion such as @jimmysmith560.

Momentazeus

HSC
My subjects are 4u maths, chem, phys, bio, adv english, modern history

I am doing quite ok for my subjects without putting much effort but for some reason, I am doing really well for modern even though during the assessment periods I had forgotten about its existence till the last minute.

vishnay

God
HSC
but for some reason, I am doing really well for modern even though during the assessment periods I had forgotten about its existence till the last minute.
lenient marking maybe?

if u don't know why ur doing well in a subject that should ring alarm bells immediately bc if u do badly in the future u wont know how to improve and despite putting in a lot of effort u may get no results

Momentazeus

HSC
It hasn't been just this year. For some reason, I have always been doing well in history. There were some lenient teachers but others have been quite harsh.

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
lenient marking maybe?

if u don't know why ur doing well in a subject that should ring alarm bells immediately bc if u do badly in the future u wont know how to improve and despite putting in a lot of effort u may get no results
It hasn't been just this year. For some reason, I have always been doing well in history. There were some lenient teachers but others have been quite harsh.

I've felt the humanities/english subjects are more easier to get marks in but harder to be consistent in relative to subjects like math/science given you have strong essay writing skill and you're confident in your memorisation - not to say they're easy by any means, if you don't pay attention in class then you're screwed regardless but I feel like it does not require the extent of self study as say maths or physics. I haven't studied for business all this year but I managed to do extremely well, I doubt that trend will continue into HSC considering they put more demands so if you're not going to put in any amount of effort then I doubt it would be wise going with said subject just solely for marks.

sab13562

HSC
I was like that too for modern, I got 99% in my year 11 yearly exam, and it didn't require as much effort compared to subjects like eco. But since it wasn't really related to my preferred uni course I dropped it. See what elective isn't related/important to your course and drop that one.

Momentazeus

HSC
Ok, thanks! Yeah, I might drop modern but what I am worried about is the fact that I am doing 3 sciences. I like them but I am a bit worried about the depth of studies and prac tests? For example, some of the depth study tests did not have enough time by a longshot and some prac tests were mainly questions, some year 12, which had nothing to do with the actual prac. So should I just keep modern for the time being and see how I go before making my decision as to what to drop? I don't think the timing would be too much of an issue.

vishnay

God
HSC
Ok, thanks! Yeah, I might drop modern but what I am worried about is the fact that I am doing 3 sciences. I like them but I am a bit worried about the depth of studies and prac tests? For example, some of the depth study tests did not have enough time by a longshot and some prac tests were mainly questions, some year 12, which had nothing to do with the actual prac. So should I just keep modern for the time being and see how I go before making my decision as to what to drop? I don't think the timing would be too much of an issue.
no bc 14 units just aint worth it in yr 12 considering only 10 units r gonna count towards ur atar

do u know what ur first assessments r gonna be for the sciences?

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
I'm not entirely sure the feeling of doing more than 1 science but from what I've seen with peers, 2 sciences seem the best since they are both manageable and a popular combo was chem and physics since they had some overlap? Don't know for sure how strong that overlap is but they said it was beneficial because some topics were covered in each subject. A friend of mine did 3 sciences and they're dropping 1 of the sciences because 14 units seems futile like vishnay points out. Not to say 14 units is bad, if you can cope and you extremely like all your sciences (which is pre rare) to the extent you would feel miserable dropping one, then why not? I've had some people who have done 14 units and done really well in their HSC.

I would suggest going for 2 sciences. 4U + Chem + Phys + Eng Adv + X subject seems like a popular combo so that might be the way. Can't really tell. I would just go off which of the sciences I enjoy more, which I do the best. If you do know the assessments in prior, it would help decide which would be more work relative to the other 2 and you can choose from there.

sab13562

HSC
3 sciences are quite intense. If you like, keep modern for the time being and see how you do with all your subjects in terms of marks, content, things like that. Then you can drop mid this term or even at the end term 1. My friend also had modern and sciences, she ended up dropping chem and is doing quite well. It all depends on your individual abilities.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)