• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

A BSc in 2 years (3 Viewers)

santaslayer

HSC
I have a friend who finished medicine in five years! :uhhuh:
She's now focussing her studies in cancer. :)

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Ziff
That's going to be one wack HECS debt.
Lol he would probably leave for the better paying USA (if he still wants to be an academic) with that HECS debt I would be as well.

Giant Lobster

HSC
Originally posted by santaslayer
You can't do that unless you've got extrodanairy aptitude. How many degrees and testamaurs do you want? our current list looks as follows.

1) B Sci
2) B Comm
3) LLB
4) Aerospace thingy

What's next? :p
nah i dont need an extraordinary aptitude :)
if i concentrate on one degree, then its 4 yrs with honours. Now assuming i dont need extraordinary aptitude to get first class honours (lets just say above average aptitude will suffice) ill be headin for a phd in an additional 3 years.

Now, i start uni at 17, 17 + 7 = 24. But lets just say 25 for the sake of it.

And thats if everything goes to plan... :eek: if something stuffs up, ill be screwed hard. i.e. first class honours out of my aptitude's reach? that would suck hard. im hoping im not biting more than i can chew... srsly :)

Giant Lobster

HSC
Originally posted by santaslayer
I have a friend who finished medicine in five years! :uhhuh:
She's now focussing her studies in cancer. :)
Med@UNCLE takes 5 years.
I guess its possible to do med in 5 years at unsw, seeing as how the current student's have such low density weeks compared to uncle students.

doctor is out of my league career wise anyway :(

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Giant Lobster
And thats if everything goes to plan... :eek: if something stuffs up, ill be screwed hard. i.e. first class honours out of my aptitude's reach? that would suck hard. im hoping im not biting more than i can chew... srsly :)
Bah what happened to the double degree idea, do what I want to do, do a double degree, then go into an honours year with the science then PhD then leave the country ;), nah only joking about the leaving the country bit (well at least now)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Pfft, everyone talks about how they want to go get a PhD...very few of you will feel the same after a single semester at uni, and even less after two. I've been talking to my tutors (half with doctorates, the other half well on their way) and they all agree that postgrad just isn't for everyone. Only a handful make it to honours, let alone the glorified Doctorate level study...

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Lexicographer
Pfft, everyone talks about how they want to go get a PhD...very few of you will feel the same after a single semester at uni, and even less after two. I've been talking to my tutors (half with doctorates, the other half well on their way) and they all agree that postgrad just isn't for everyone. Only a handful make it to honours, let alone the glorified Doctorate level study...
Yeah I know, I want to get one but not necassirly for quite a few years, of course if I love the job I wouldnt leave it to fill in the Dr square.

Giant Lobster

HSC
Originally posted by Lexicographer

hmm yeh
my head is huge

Giant Lobster

HSC
Originally posted by Xayma
Bah what happened to the double degree idea, do what I want to do, do a double degree, then go into an honours year with the science then PhD then leave the country ;), nah only joking about the leaving the country bit (well at least now)
yeh im contemplating combining with BSc (i emailed usyd and they sed i can combine aerosapce with BSc without any extra uai :D and the course is gonna be restructured in 2005 so i can major my BSc in basically anything) but a double = +1 year... hmmm
is it worth it? 8 years of uni.. better be a nice place :)

santaslayer

HSC
Agree with lexi.....

Just try out first semester at uni and you'll be hoping for a pass. A credit-distinction will make you a happy vegimite. :p

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
uhm ... to go onto post grad... do u need like extra cur involvement as well??? or purely on academic???

Giant Lobster

HSC
the country would be pretty fucked up to care about "extra curriculars" at that stage...

but i know as an academic, too find work, the kind of "extracurriculars" involve writing books, papers, bein a fellow, etc which are all 'good' extracurriculars :)

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
Originally posted by xiao1985
uhm ... to go onto post grad... do u need like extra cur involvement as well??? or purely on academic???
mostly academic, you still need to submit resume and make an impression.

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
To go on to Post Grad (esp. Masters by Research and PhD), the real problem is funding - if you can get a scholarship, then you won't have a problem getting a Supervisor. If you don't, then Supervisors may accept you, but you have a major problem with money.

Collin

HSC
N/A
How much does it normally cost for a Masters?

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Masters by Research and PhD - nothing, as basically everybody gets HECS exemption scholarships, although you do cop HECS if you go beyond standard lengths.

Masters by Coursework - Around $1k per subject

Giant Lobster

HSC
i dont get it... why does research and coursework require diff debts?

and also, i see PhD coursework programs out there nowadays :rolleyes: is coursework much easier than independent research in getting a PhD as it basically guides u towards it?
What degree is usually seen as better: A research PhD or a coursework PhD (if existent) ?

Ziff

HSC
N/A
Because if you make any discoveries whilst doing the PhD the university owns it? Something like that.

Collin

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by CM_Tutor
Masters by Research and PhD - nothing, as basically everybody gets HECS exemption scholarships, although you do cop HECS if you go beyond standard lengths.

Masters by Coursework - Around $1k per subject
So do you actually get recognised in your Masters certificate whether you obtained a Masters via coursework or research? Obviously research is higher right.. and employers should see this as significant..?

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Giant Lobster
i dont get it... why does research and coursework require diff debts?

and also, i see PhD coursework programs out there nowadays :rolleyes: is coursework much easier than independent research in getting a PhD as it basically guides u towards it?
What degree is usually seen as better: A research PhD or a coursework PhD (if existent) ?
There is a fee for Masters by Research and PhD, but I don't know anyone who doesn't have a HECS Exemption Scholarship, so I don't know what the cost is.

Masters by coursework is usually professionals upgrading qualifications, so I think the philosophy is that they can afford to pay.

And, I have never heard of a PhD by coursework - many PhD's incluse a coursework component, but that's not the same thing. A PhD must (AFAIK) include an original contribution to the field, and generally includes an 80,000 to 130,000 word thesis.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)