A Comparison of Textbooks (1 Viewer)

Pyramid

HSC
A quick urgent question folks:

Currently I have:

Fitzpatrick 2U
Fitzpatrick MX1

I'm doing 4U and would like to purchase a Cambridge textbook -- Does the 4U book include 2U and Ext1 content???

(I know that the 3U has 2U content)

Also considering getting Terry Lee for 4U. Does this only have Ext2 content???

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
A quick urgent question folks:

Currently I have:

Fitzpatrick 2U
Fitzpatrick MX1

I'm doing 4U and would like to purchase a Cambridge textbook -- Does the 4U book include 2U and Ext1 content???

(I know that the 3U has 2U content)

Also considering getting Terry Lee for 4U. Does this only have Ext2 content???

For both your questions, yes, only Ext 2 content, but ext 2 content also incorporates harder 3u

Pyramid

HSC
For both your questions, yes, only Ext 2 content, but ext 2 content also incorporates harder 3u
Oh, so you mean that both Cambridge 4U and Terry Lee only have Ext2 + harder Ext1?

So is my best bet to get 3U Cambridge + either of the above Ext2 books?

Thanks!

mioumiou

HSC
For the past paper books, I would suggest buying the Coroneos Past paper books rather than Success One. As this has been said before, Success One's solutions aren't that great. You learn more stuff in the Coroneos book. Phoneix is another good book for practising different types of questions that may come up in the HSC exams.

Fadee

HSC
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mathematics

Fitzpatrick 2u
+ This book is great. It's good at all the areas: Good diagrams, good explanations, many question to practice with.
+ The questions are the strength of this text. They cover the entire spectrum of skills which students require and lead you into the hard questions progressively.
+ The harder questions often involve interesting skills which are not taught at a 2u level but would be classified as "component B", of which the HSC must comprise at least 20%. Thus it is worth your while to try these questions.
+ Of all the textbooks, this one is the easiest to cram with.
+ Specimen papers at the end of the book for revision
- No worked solutions.
Another disadvantage of Fitzpatrick 2U is that the questions are all over the place, it doesn't go from easy to hard, you could get the hardest question at q1 .

I find that a disadvantage.

100percentdux

HSC
N/A
Essentials of Mathematics, book 2
+ Worked out solutions
+ Good questions

Which book is this for 3u nit?
whose the author

big_bang344

HSC
Can anyone please explain to me the difference between the yellow fitzpatrick book and the green one? I know the yellow one is for 2 unit maths and the green one is for 3 unit, but when i read the contents, the 3 unit book (green) seems just to be a follow up book to the yellow, adding in the few chapters that the yellow one doesn't have. That's what i think but i'm not entirely sure, that's why i'm asking. :L

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
There are three Fitzpatrick textbooks, Yellow for 2 Unit Years 11 and 12, Green for 3 Unit Years 11 and 12 and Orange for 4 Unit Year 12. The 3 unit book if you like, is the "follow up" from the 2 Unit book.

janiie

HSC
Hi, I'm doing 2 unit maths year 12
I currently have cambridge 2u, excel(the newer one)
would these 2 be fine or should i get fitzpatrick or coroneos as well

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Hi, I'm doing 2 unit maths year 12
I currently have cambridge 2u, excel(the newer one)
would these 2 be fine or should i get fitzpatrick or coroneos as well
Do some past papers since there's about 2 weeks left until the HSC. That is to say if you have covered the content.

janiie

HSC
Do some past papers since there's about 2 weeks left until the HSC. That is to say if you have covered the content.
oops. sry for the confusion meant i was beginning year 12 soon and was wondering of i should be considering buying fitzpatrick as extra textbook to work through throughout the year or would that just be unnecessary because the other 2 text books would suffice. thanks for the reply though (Y)

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
oops. sry for the confusion meant i was beginning year 12 soon and was wondering of i should be considering buying fitzpatrick as extra textbook to work through throughout the year or would that just be unnecessary because the other 2 text books would suffice. thanks for the reply though (Y)
Your account says you graduated in 2009. I am assuming this account was original a sibling's. Prehaps your sister's? Am I correct? Also 2-3 text would be more than enough. Past papers are the key for success. If you send a kind PM I might give you some. I guess Fitzpatrick is another good edition to your mathematical collections. But in all seriousness you don't need that many. I will say what I have said for the last week. Textbooks do not emulate past examination paper question styles. Good luck.

Parvee

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
HSC
One questions, what's the best 4u textbook to learn the basics?

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
One questions, what's the best 4u textbook to learn the basics?
Bare basics, Fitzpatrick, but it will not get you anywhere. I am currently using Cambridge. Explanations are no where as detailed as their 3U books. Our school uses Terry Lee.

Parvee

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
HSC
My school uses cambridge but i think they are also gonna buy Terry Lee books for us :)

taeyang

HSC
I found Coroneos excellent for 3 unit, had to take adderall to concentrate though, as the printing is so fine.

EpikHigh

Arizona Tears
HSC
I have a question I'm going into Year 11 and I want to get a 2u book and 3u book can anyone guide to which one I should get?

findx

HSC
I have a question I'm going into Year 11 and I want to get a 2u book and 3u book can anyone guide to which one I should get?
1. Fitzpatrick 2U + 3U
2. Cambridge 3U - it covers the 2U topics as well i believe

Reactions: h_g

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Please note: I recommend 1-2 textbooks reading the theory and doing the exercises is more than enough, then go straight to past papers for 2/3U.

If you can learn one textbook and understand the concepts from it well, then you are set. In the HSC you probably won't have the time for 3+ textbooks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)