a competitive industry? (1 Viewer)

ahen

Sexy Member
HSC
i'm considering doing Media and communications but i've heard that its a very very cut throat competitive industry as well as being very white dominated- i have nothing against white people, i've just heard that being non-white in this industry could work against me.
are these just myths or are they true?

redox

HSC
pfft, just because there are alot more whites than anyone else doesn't mean theres some kind of conspiracy - just means less non-whites do it. Ethnicity wont matter.

Being a competitive industry, now thats another story...

KarmaKitten

HSC
I dont think race has anything to do with it.
It definately is a competitve industry.

Networks, networking cause sometimes its who you know rather than what you know.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
unless you are aboriginal and/or wear a burqa everyday no one cares what race you are, assuming you speak english without an accent

ahen

Sexy Member
HSC
nah i'm not saying that you'll just get smooshed aside because of your colour but i don't know, you don't really see many non-anglos in that industry and that just seems odd. though admitedly all the curries and asians are in IT or medicine or engineering so there's not many left over..

KarmaKitten

HSC
Thats very narrowminded of you.

I know quite a number of people within the media industry( mainly journalism, editing and producing) and a LOT of them are not white.

ahen

Sexy Member
HSC
hmm ok i admit that i haven't gone and stuck myself IN the industry to see exactly how it operates but just based on what i've seen that's the impression that i got, sorry if that makes me seem narrow minded but that's just the way it looked to me.

KarmaKitten

HSC
You cant make assumptions about an industry you havent been in, right?

The media industry is more than simply actors on tv shows, etc etc etc or tv presenters.
Either way, I dont think its an issue of racism, probably less people from minorities wish to enter this industry etc.
I dont know.

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
ahen said:
nah i'm not saying that you'll just get smooshed aside because of your colour but i don't know, you don't really see many non-anglos in that industry and that just seems odd. though admitedly all the curries and asians are in IT or medicine or engineering so there's not many left over..
You are a stupid racist yourself. Because "Anglo" = "White" :rolleyes:. Stop posting.

ahen

Sexy Member
HSC
KarmaKitten said:
You cant make assumptions about an industry you havent been in, right?

The media industry is more than simply actors on tv shows, etc etc etc or tv presenters.
Either way, I dont think its an issue of racism, probably less people from minorities wish to enter this industry etc.
I dont know.
yeah good point, i don't think its an issue of "racism" either, i can't quite put my finger on what it is though. Probably more of a thing about how (speaking from personal experience) curry/asian parents feel more comfortable with their kids being in industries that they themselves are familiar with and they tend to value the more "secure", "stable" and the kind of professions that have the typical "office hours" etc etc. which would then explain the lack of "foreigners" in media.

ahen

Sexy Member
HSC
jb_nc said:
You are a stupid racist yourself. Because "Anglo" = "White" :rolleyes:. Stop posting.
you are a fuckwit

go give bin laden head

you know you want to

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
ahen said:
you are a fuckwit

go give bin laden head

you know you want to
Oh, a homophobe too.

ahen

Sexy Member
HSC
jb_nc said:
Oh, a homophobe too.
oh hahahaha if you knew me, you wouldn't call me a homophobe
so that just shows the extent of your lameness
simply looking for a fight
you are pathetic
go find someone who cares

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
ahen said:
oh hahahaha if you knew me, you wouldn't call me a homophobe
you are pathetic
You didn't deny the fact you were racist then?

ahen

Sexy Member
HSC
does "inability to understand simple statements" mean anything to you?
cos i think that just sums you up perfectly

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
ahen said:
does "inability to understand simple statements" mean anything to you?
cos i think that just sums you up perfectly
oh hahahaha if you knew me, you wouldn't say that I have an "inability to understand simple statements"
you are pathetic

ahen

Sexy Member
HSC
and the fact that you have to usurp MY arguments shows just how sad you truly are

bustinjustin

HSC
ahen said:
i'm considering doing Media and communications but i've heard that its a very very cut throat competitive industry as well as being very white dominated- i have nothing against white people, i've just heard that being non-white in this industry could work against me.
are these just myths or are they true?
For what it's worth, yeah, it's very competitive industry, but nonetheless your impressions of it are based on limited knowledge. Sure, it's a competitive industry, but, since the 'media' industry is so globalised and dynamic, if anything, knowledge of other cultures and languages would enhance your employability. Just because you may not see many 'ethnics' host and present on Australian commercial networks doesn't mean you should let this develop some sort of lame inferiority complex that dictates your choice of career. Yes, you have to contend with family, financial and job security, but at the same time you need to do more research (speak to academics at open days, see what jobs graduates actually get, talk to people in the industry)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)